magenta1798648

I have been extremely disappointed in the coverage, or lack thereof,  in the area of the White Mountain Resort NH. This is a popular skiing and recreation area and I can't even make a call or text, let alone any data. This happens ever year on my trips to this part of the sate. I realize that this may seem remote but again this is a very popular tourist destination. The people I stay with can all access their respective carriers. I keep hoping that this will change but I won't hold out any hope.

All replies

• stevetjr

What phone are you using, it looks like T-Mobile has launched their Band 12 low band spectrum in that area (aka Extended LTE) which should have help fill in coverage gaps of their higher spectrum bands. 

• snevetsm

Every carrier has comically terrible service through most of NH. The huge cities (Manchester, Nashua, Concord) and the seacoast area around Portsmouth have pretty good coverage. Outside of those densely-populated areas, nobody can rely on any mobile carrier.

The regional hospital (no other hospital for 30 miles in any direction) at which I practice, for example, has almost-usable Sprint coverage in a few select corners here and there, where one can see staff huddled trying to use their phones. That's usually futile, but people keep trying. The entire downtown area of my town is not an area in which one can realistically use any carrier. I still carry a pager.

It's a hilly state, people don't like to see cell towers, and the population density outside the cities makes this area a very low priority when it comes to building out networks.

• magenta1798648

The phone is the LG 90, I realize it's old.

• stevetjr

If it is more than a few years old then it wouldn't have Band 12 LTE.  The first phone that came with it was Note 4 and the Galaxy S6 time frame.  Apple was a year late with it and wasn't available in the iPhone until the 6S generation.   I can tell you from personal experience that when I moved to where I lived now due to geography and being completely surrounded by forest my great signal (tower is about a mile and half away) disappeared but thankfully they turned Band 12 on like 2 months later and now have signal.

It is TMO's policy that any device they sell now, even their lower end devices be Band 12 capable.  My son has the Galaxy J7 and also gets signal here no problem.

• drnewcomb2

The LG L90 has band-12, so that shouldn't be an issue. Are you talking about the White Mountain Hotel & Resort in Conway, NH?  That should have decent coverage. If it's someplace else, you need to be more specific because that's the only "White Mountain Resort" I can find, except the one in South Africa.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey magenta1798648!

Did you still need help with this? If so, please let us know the specifics of this in relationship to the questions Chris asked. Thank you!

• tmo_chris

I am not seeing any outages at a high-level here. While there are some thin areas, we have a pretty large chunk of that area covered. Are you having these issues all over the resort or is it more prevalent when you are in a specific location like in the hotel or out on the slopes?

• tmo_chris

Hey there. Just checking in here. Let me know the information above and I would be happy to look into this.

I am amazed that the replies imply that there should be coverage. No outages? Of course no outages. There's no TMobile coverage anywhere in the White Mountains to have an outage about. I was up there 3 weeks ago. My daughter's iPhone, my HTC, nada. No coverage, only emergency calls and we went all over. It is a huge tourist area and this is why the disappointment is so striking.

TMobile, if you think you have coverage in the White Mountains then this too is a striking disappointment in your ability to detect issues.

From one side of the Kancamangus Highway to the other (Lincoln to Conway and other areas), nothing. Verizon, my work phone, always had strong coverage. At least let us roam to AT&T! And at least be aware of your coverage areas when providing support.

TMobile, go to your own online coverage map and look at Woodstock and Lincoln NH and see the big black hole. Again these are major tourist areas. Then select AT&T or Verizon for comparison and watch the big black hole disappear.

• drnewcomb2

5085173951 wrote:

I am amazed that the replies imply that there should be coverage. No outages? Of course no outages. There's no TMobile coverage anywhere in the White Mountains to have an outage about. I was up there 3 weeks ago. My daughter's iPhone, my HTC, nada. No coverage, only emergency calls and we went all over. It is a huge tourist area and this is why the disappointment is so striking.

From one side of the Kancamangus Highway to the other (Lincoln to Conway and other areas), nothing. Verizon, my work phone, always had strong coverage. At least let us roam to AT&T! And at least be aware of your coverage areas when providing support.

The initial question was about a specific resort, which we were never able to determine but when I searched for a "White Mountain Resort" there was coverage in the area of what I found. Are there service problems in the White Mountains? Sure. Several years ago I was on top of Mt. Washington and couldn't get a usable signal from either T-Mobile or Verizon.

I looked at the Kancamangus Hwy on RootMetrics, According to their data, all the carriers struggle to serve that stretch of road. Verizon seems to have the best service but even that's spotty, maybe dependent on the phone. Other than several scenic overlooks and trailheads,  T-Mobile seems to cover at least to the Loon Mountain Resort. (RootMetrics is Verizon's preferred independent source for coverage data. They're always quoting RootMetrics' reports.)

One reason that T-Mobile isn't killing themselves to cover these remote corners of New Hampshire is that USCC LTE roaming was supposed to be working by now.

• snevetsm

Forget mountaintops or roads that wind through valleys. Nearly everywhere I go in NH I'm unable to use T-Mobile. I'm a physician and that ends up meaning I can't leave my house (where there's no T-Mobile coverage) when I'm on-call because I might get called and need to drive (along a highway where there's no coverage) to my regional hospital (where there's no coverage). I haven't found anyplace in the town where I live or the town in which my hospital is located where I have usable T-Mobile service. Sprint, Verizon, and US Cellular work nearly everyplace in this area. I have no idea about ATT or any other carriers.

Doctors around here still carry beepers because they work and nobody's cellular network is good enough to rely on a mobile phone all the time. However, the CDMA carriers are usable most places. T-Mobile is really only usable in the "big cities".

I'm on-call half the time, so I'm going to need to get a Sprint phone so I can go out for dinner occasionally.

P.S., "Kancamagus" only has one "n".

• drnewcomb2

I checked the coverage maps for AT&T and US Cellular and neither claims to cover all of the Kancamangus Hwy.

If coverage in remote areas of the White Mountains is "mission critical" for you I suggest that you might reconsider your choice of T-Mobile. Or if it's an infrequent event, just do what I do and carry a backup. I pay ~$32/year for a PagePlus PAYG phone, which works on Verizon's CDMA signal. I set a conditional forward (out of service) from my T-Mobile phone to my PagePlus phone. When I have no cellular signal and no WIFi and someone calls me, the call will be forwarded to my PagePlus number.

I can point to remote places where a T-Mobile phone will work but Verizon gets no service. It's just a matter of degree. In New England Verizon is king. It comes from their legacy as a child of the B-side cellular carrier BAM (Bell Atlantic Mobile).