Compatibility

rjlocal22

Hello,

The coverage map indicates I am supposed to get fair coverage. While in Bushkill, Pa. 18324, I did not have any bars on my Samsung Galaxy J7.

So I asked a neighbor what carrier he had and he said "Verizon". He stated the other carriers signals are less.

So I checked with Verizon, if my phone was compatible with their plans and they said no. So how is it that a phone that cost near $200.00 is not compatible?

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Compatibility

Happy Tuesday!

I appreciate you posting in our Support Community so that we can get to the bottom of why you're not picking up signal in Bushkill with your Samsung J7. I took a look at what frequencies are included on the J7 and compared them with the frequencies that the towers in the area utilize. You're correct in stating that the coverage isn't very strong in your area. That being said - you should be able to get a low signal while outdoors. How far away do you have to travel to pick up a usable signal?

To address your last question, the cost of the device doesn't necessarily have to do with network compatibility. Some device offer different frequencies than others.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, rjlocal22!

I just wanted to stop by to see if you had a chance to read my previous reply. If you're still having issues with signal, please take a look at the questions I asked.

• tmo_marissa

Hiya, rjlocal22! We just wanted to touch base and see how things are going for you. Did you have a chance to read over Amanda's reply? Please let us know if you have any questions or need assistance! Thanks!

- Marissa

• rjlocal22

I was in Bushkill, Pa. yesterday and I took the strength of the signal and here is what my cell phone reported:

- 113 dBm and 0 asu.

I also noticed that the nearest tower is southwest of Blairstown, N.J.  About 5 miles away, in Stoudsburg, Pa. the reading was - 90 to -95 dBm.

I have been looking at Signal Boosters and possibly switching from T-Mobile to AT&T because they are using  three towers that are closer to me.

I should be moving to Bushkill about first week of August and then I will determine what approach to take first.

• tmo_marissa

Well, with everything else you have to do to prepare to move, it's a bummer to think of you also having to consider switching service providers while unpacking... not to mention we'd just be sad to see you go! When you're visiting Bushkill now, are you able to visit the exact location where you'll be moving? We've got a few different coverage solutions, so if one is going to be better for you than another, we'd love to help you sort that out.

For a traditional 4G LTE booster to work, you'd need at least one bar of 3G or 4G somewhere in the home. If you'll have a high speed internet connection, then the 4G LTE CellSpot might be a better fit, since there's no existing coverage required. You can find out a little more about these options here: 4G LTE coverage device comparison. Please let me know if we can answer any questions for you!

- Marissa

• tidbits

rjlocal22 wrote:

So I checked with Verizon, if my phone was compatible with their plans and they said no. So how is it that a phone that cost near $200.00 is not compatible?

Verizon uses CDMA which is completely different than GSM.  Due to difference is technology used it isn't compatible.  If the J7 supported CDMA as well as GSM you would have paid well over $200.