Set up your digits on any device MADE SIMPLE!

broncosman

Ok, it does seem a bit overwhelming for some people when it comes to just setting up 1 phone line on the phone you bought, let alone multiple numbers on 1 phone with the Digits app. I just did this on my tablet and phone and I wanted to share the simple way of doing this.

First, go to the digits website (https://mydigits.t-mobile.com/) on T-Mobile and log in with your primary phone number to look at your account. You should have multiple T-Mobile numbers listed along with your personal/primary number there that is associated to your T-Mobile account.

Next click on your primary number (the first number you had with T-Mobile that is your personal line) and verify the e-mail you are using on this number (which should be the same e-mail address in your T-Mobile account). Once verified, go back to the previous screen that has the list of numbers on your account.

Next select the number you want to add and click it. Once the screen loads up, select "Add Myself". Once you click it, it should say successful. (I recommend going back to that number you just added and renaming the number to what it is for so you won't be confused later when you see a bunch of numbers in one phone. Do this with all the numbers in your account.)

Next, go to the next number you want to add and do the same thing like you did above by selecting the next number you want to add to your phone.

Once you finished adding yourself to all the numbers you want to associate with your one phone, go to your phone or tablet and go to the application store ("App Store" for Apple and "Play Store" for Android). Do a search for "T-Mobile Digits" (or just Digits and it will still come up with T-Mobile Digits) and install the application.

After you installed the app, open it. Click continue and then swype through the next few screens that show what you can do with the app. Finally click continue and you will be prompted to give Digits permission to use your device. Click next, it'll prompt for you to allow specific features (which you will need to allow for the application to work). Next, accept the terms and conditions.

Finally, you will be prompted to log in with your phone number and/or E-mail.  Log in with your e-mail (the one you verified and used to link the numbers) and use your T-mobile account password.

Once logged in, you will be prompted to select which lines you wish to turn on. (You can turn them off again later by clicking the gear at the top left if you ever decide to stop using that number on your phone). Click the slider bar to the right of the number/name of the line you want to use. Do this for all the lines you want to use. Click continue at the bottom once all lines are selected.

Voilla, you are done!  That simple

I really hope this helped someone.

Message was edited by: Dennie Goodwin

All replies

• tmo_evan

Thanks for writing this out, great getting started guide....One other thing.

If you have a T-Mobile purchased Samsung Galaxy S6 or later or the LG G5, you should do the following while at the myDIGITS.T-Mobile.com portal:

- Select the line that uses this phone

- Scroll down towards the bottom of the page

- Click the "unlock" button to enable the native DIGITS functionality

- Reboot the phone

- Then you can search Settings for Multi-line settings and enable it there.

Please don't install the DIGITS app from the Android Play Store on these devices, the built-in functionality is really the best possible implementation.

• kgescobedo

Thanks.

"Next select the number you want to add and click it. Once the screen loads up, select "Add Myself". Once you click it, it should say successful. (I recommend going back to that number you just added and renaming the number to what it is for so you won't be confused later when you see a bunch of numbers in one phone. Do this with all the numbers in your account.)"

There is no option in my account to select "Add Myself." I have a prepaid account.

Is the setup for prepaid different?

• tmo_evan

No need to do this for a prepaid account.  You already have usage rights associated to that line since you have the SIM and are able to log into to myDIGITS portal and being able to see the line, particularly since it should show up into DIGITS I Can Use section.

That said, there are certain prepaid accounts that aren't currently supported and the team is investigating those.  So if you're not able to turn the line on in another device it's possibly because you're on a Pay As You Go or the 100min/unlimited text/5GB prepaid plan.

• kgescobedo

tmo_evan

Thank you. I have two lines: one is a Pay As You Go and the other is the 100m/un text/5 GB plan. That explains why it doesn't work for me! Any plans to remedy this issue? I have had a tech ticket in on this issue since Sunday and not received any follow-up yet.

Disappointing. I have been looking forward to using Digits since December when I first heard about the beta!

• tmo_evan

They are looking at your second one - and hoping that we can resolve that sooner rather than later.  We'll make sure to post when we know more about what's going on with that particular plan. The Pay As You Go one is likely not going to be supported given the way it is constructed since the real time billing can't be controlled as easily when you can use any device - it opens it up to a bit of fraud and there is some concerns over making sure that it is accurately controlled.

• magenta1410534

Just spent an hour on the phone, with Technical support.  Eventually got to one of their "experts" Fernando, about the server error, which says; "There was an error contacting the server. Please try again later." They don't have a clue!!!

I have the (100 min, unlimited text and 5GB of data), which you described.

Looks from my conversation like it may never happen, since their expert is clueless?

• magenta1641445

Thanks for writing your explanation. It's helped as I'm still working to get things set up.

The current step I'm stuck on - being able to use Digits on a computer for phone calls and voicemail. The texts are working great. When I'm already at my computer, I enjoy being able to use a regular keyboard to text.

I haven't (yet) found anything in the online docs, FAQs or discussion about how to use a computer's speakers and microphone. Digits seems to want to use my external display and not let itself be configured to the notebook's speakers/mic or my wireless headphones. That might be okay but the external display doesn't have a microphone or speakers.

Gee, I sort feel like I'm in the beta program, even though I signed up on launch day...

So...I'll keep poking at it and may reach out to the various support options.

• broncosman

I hadn't setup Digits on the computer yet, until I read your message here. I logged in, selected my 2 lines, and then I texted myself and called myself. I didn't have any issues. I checked to see if there was maybe a plugin or something that may be tweaked, or settings to change, but none of them had anything to do with audio. It could be that it is part of your browser. I know when I logged in, it initially asked for access to my microphone. I am using Google Chrome.

If you are using Chrome, click on the vertical ... and select settings.

At the bottom of the setting screen is "Show advanced settings...", click it and scroll down to Privacy. Click "Content Settings".

Scroll down to the section titled "Microphone".  Mine has "Default" selected in the drop down box, and "Ask when a site requires access..."

Click on "Manage Exceptions". On mine I see https://wrc.t-mobile.com:443 and under behavior I see "Allow".  See if yours says that.

***mind you, the following below is me assuming and I haven't tried it since mine is working fine. So follow those steps at your own risk. Just know it won't cause a nuclear fallout and/or WW3 hahahahah so you are safe there***

*Read this paragraph before clicking*: If not, see if you can change it to allow. Clicking on it didn't give me an option to change it, so I'm assuming you may have to hit X to delete the entry. I also will have to assume that you may need to log out of the T-Mobile page, then close the browser page, then go back to the page and log back in. Maybe it will ask you for permission to use the microphone again once you log back in.

I really hoping this worked for you.  If you're using any other browser, the steps should be remotely close to being similar (going into settings and then looking for exceptions or plugins or something along that nature).

Dennie

• magenta1641445

Good tips, because it encouraged me to open DIGITS using a browser. Using firefox, it worked! Well, first a dialog box popped up asking for permission to access the microphone, which I granted. And then, it just worked.

I was using the DIGITS software for Windows. It hadn't popped up (or I didn't see?) any request to use the microphone. Also, as mentioned previously, it would let itself be configured for communication through the audio system level controls.

Thanks again for your clear explanation.

• magenta1641445

A followup: I've discovered that the DIGITS app on Windows has its own audio settings that take precedence over the Windows settings.

The Audio menu has Settings that allow directing which microphone and speakers to use.

So, now I can make and receive calls on my computer as well as my iPhone. (and get and send messages). Almost like Apple's Handoff, but better. ;-)

• artart

magenta1641445 wrote:

I haven't (yet) found anything in the online docs, FAQs or discussion about how to use a computer's speakers and microphone. Digits seems to want to use my external display and not let itself be configured to the notebook's speakers/mic or my wireless headphones. That might be okay but the external display doesn't have a microphone or speakers.

Hi magenta1641445

I was just about to address the above issue.  Glad to see you solved your problem.

I will go ahead and add that I am using Win 8.1 with a TV as a monitor using a VGA connection. Sound is headphone out jack from laptop connected to audio in TV. Works fine. I didn't have to make any additional setting other than those I had already been using.

Thanks for sharing your problem and your own solution.

Art

• artart

broncosman wrote:

Ok, it does seem a bit overwhelming for some people when it comes to just setting up 1 phone line on the phone you bought, let alone multiple numbers on 1 phone with the Digits app. I just did this on my tablet and phone and I wanted to share the simple way of doing this.

Voilla, you are done! That simple

I really hope this helped someone.

Kudos to youbroncosman 

Very Helpful Thank you

Art

• magenta2568399

Hmmm,   I thought I read this properly through.  Apparently the title is misleading as it says DIGITS on any Device..

Although I am looking for a *..apk file for my issue I cant use play store and I don't have any luck with the apps in various alternative markets either.  Tmobile doesn't apparently offer a share to get a copy that will install on my Blackberry Passport either.  If anyone has any info on a version that will install I would sincerely appreciate some direction.

Thank you in advance