gururao

I recently switched over from ATT to T-Mobile.  When I switched, I was promised that I will get a buy-one-get-one phone deal.  At that time I was told that if I pay off the entire cost of a phone it will be immediately unlocked. I did so and now T-mobile is not willing to unlock the code.  I have spoken to so many associates and each one comes up with a new policy and says that what the previous one told me was incorrect.  They are not even willing to temporarily unlock the phones as I am traveling abroad.  All of these were promised to me before I switched over to t-mobile.  This is a con game! I am going to widely publicize this before others get cheated by t-mobile.

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: T-Mobile indulging in devious business?

I wouldn't call it devious, did you get a bad sales person maybe but T-Mobile as a whole is not devious and their unlock policy is and has been posted virtually unchanged for years;

Unlock your mobile wireless device

• rippedoffbyevilphonecompany

I would call it devious, as it is a company wide policy of taking advantage of and intentionally misleading customers with zero accountability. Notice the response of, "you got a bad rep" when your post actually mentions multiple people working for t-mobile who have screwed you over. At that point, it's not a bad worker, it's a deliberate company policy.

• stevetjr

Not sure how you got that I have had issues before, I have been with T-Mobile for over 15 years and know quite a few folks that work for them and have dealt with quite a few sales people over the years and not one has ever maliciously mislead me.  Have a few over 15 years given the wrong answer yes, but usually I have done my home work and when I reference said policy or ad and they look it up they were unaware of a recent change that had been made but it was never malicious.  If you look T-Mobile over and over wins customer service awards and is usually number 1 or a close second  in wireless carriers every year, you don't win those by having company wide company policies to deceive people especially for the number of years they have been winning those awards. 

Every industry that has commissioned sales and even those that aren't commissioned you are going to come across a bad salesperson, some that are just not as knowledgeable and yes some that are less scrupulous but that doesn't mean it is representative of a company policy.  In this case T-Mobile's unlock policy has been posted and virtually unchanged for quite sometime and is actually pretty liberal compared to the competitors with the exception of Verizon which has to sell all its devices unlocked to comply with an agreement they made with the FCC but that is the only reason. 

Your reading comprehension is extremely poor and your response is basically illogical gibberish. Your contributions to the discussion are therefore not helpful at all and only serve to distract from anyone with an actual problem that needs attention.

• stevetjr

I can assure you my reading comprehension is just fine.  I am sure you have heard the quote " I have some great land in Florida to sell you" and of course we all know that it was swamp land or aka buyer beware.   I don't disagree that you asked a question and apparently didn't get either the right answer or it wasn't made clear enough that you and the sales person were on the same page of understanding which ever it was. 

You are trying to point out a system wide problem where one doesn't exist, just because YOU had an issue doesn't mean that there is a system wide issue.  T-Mobile has over 75 million customers, wins customer service satisfactions awards year after year so clearly there is not a system wide issue. How long have you been with them? a month?  I have been a customer for 15+ years, have friends and family that are customers so I think I know them.

• stevetjr

rippedoffbyevilphonecompany I fly airplanes so I assure you my reading comprehension is above grade school.  I gather that you are so perfect you have never made an error or got something wrong??  Does that one error mean that you as a person are now corrupt??

How many other companies do you know that you can Tweet the CEO and get a response, from him not some lackey??  I don't other than T-Mobile although I can assure you that if you ask the question as rudely an as insulting to his company as you have I doubt you would get a response.  I have seen many examples though of legitimate problems being Tweeted to him and he answers and resolves the issue.

• tmo_lauren

rippedoffbyevilphonecompany I already addressed your concerns directly on your thread, so I will be brief by just asking you to be kind to others.

gururao You were definitely given some incorrect info right off the bat, our apologies for that. Do you know if an incident report was filed for your activation representative to ensure they are refreshed on policy and have it looked further into? You can find our unlock requirements here Unlock your mobile wireless device  And while one requirement is the device paid in full, it is also required to be on network for 40 days which we most certainly should have made you aware of.

-Lauren

The original poster said " I have spoken to so many associates and each one comes up with a new policy and says that what the previous one told me was incorrect."

That is not an issue with one representative, that is an issue with t-mobile having a corrupt corporate culture.

At any point will anyone actually address the poster's real problem? There are TONS of people with this exact same experience, but everyone wants to try and distract from it by discussing anything else.

• tmo_lauren

rippedoffbyevilphonecompany I posted the policy to address the policy at its core, and I want to make sure we are going to the root of the issue with the initial representative who gave incorrect information.

We aren't able to unlock the device sooner, so while I can't do that, we are still addressing the issue.

No, you're not addressing the issue, which is why I have previous commented on issues of reading comprehension. Questions which are very clear are not responded to, and instead lengthy responses having nothing to do with the customer's actual complaint are given. One of two things is happening here: no one is bothering to actually read what the customer is saying, or the subject is deliberately being changed. Both are terrible customer service.

The issue the original poster brought up, again, is that everyone working for t-mobile gave her/him different and totally incorrect information. You agree that the customer was "given some incorrect info" (by a t-mobile employee) but you do nothing to actually make her/him whole and correct the mistake in a meaningful way, you just "correct" the information, completely ignoring that the customer never would have entered into the transaction in the first place had he been given correct information by your company. What does s/he care if you retrain your employee not to do it next time? How does that help him in any way whatsoever???? You need to fix what you've already done to him! And that's not even taking into account all of the customer's time your company has wasted. Bad customer service!

Additionally, the customer is complaining about a serious issue with t-mobile's entire customer service department, wherein each employee gives completely different information and remains completely unaccountable for their actions. You have never addressed this, and have never acknowledged the hell your company puts people through by treating them like this.

• tmo_lauren

I'm unable to provide an unlock, and without account access I can't review notes on the account to give a holistic view of the situation. I do have the customer account of the situation, but nothing more. The best course of action is as I suggested to have something filed both for the initial representative, as well as for anyone else providing incorrect information.

While I won't pretend you won't find other accounts of this happening, and I wish I could say I believed it didn't, this isn't the norm. Posts definitely get made here, but frankly, people are more likely to post when things go wrong and don't pop in to say "I was given the right info" all that often, outside of the users in here who you shut down when sharing their experiences. Thousands of calls about the same topic go through without a hiccup, that said, we do take the time to address the snags when found because we want as many situations to go through without a hiccup as possible.

We want to get this addressed, and the best way to do so is by having the representatives who gave the incorrect info looked into, which would need to be by contacting a representative who can review the account.  Contact Us

From where I am, I want to do everything I can to assist, and am always open to call outs. But this is a situation addressed best on a per rep basis and by someone who can review the customers account (we do not have account access out here as it's primarily a peer to peer forum) and by me providing the policy information so there isn't any question of what the policy is.

I'm going to save additional responses for the OP as I don't want to have their thread highjacked, but if you have other questions you are free to tag me in your post.

-Lauren

• miket

Too late now - but I believe if you buy Apple phones directly from Apple -- they come UNlocked.     If you are still in the 14 day "remorse" period, you can get your money back for the phones