Galaxy S8 Bluetooth Issues

magenta1725445

My Galaxy S8 plus won't connect to Bluetooth in two of my cars. It will pair with the cars, and then quickly disconnect. My previous phones (earlier Galaxy S models) and my wife's iPhone 7 have no trouble connecting.

There's a long thread on the Samsung forum about Bluetooth issues (Galaxy S8 Bluetooth Connection - Page 39 - Samsung Community - 91240) and I've tried every suggestion on these. Still no luck, and today's update from T-Mobile didn't solve the issue.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Are others having this issue?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Galaxy S8 Bluetooth Issues

Welcome, magenta1725445, and thanks for posting. I read over the more recent pages of the thread you linked to -- by the looks of it, you definitely have run the gamut of troubleshooting that we'd recommend at this point, having tried all the methods outlined there. Bluetooth isn't listed among the known issues for the S8 that we've cataloged, but as some folks on the Samsung forum thread mentioned, it seems like it shouldn't take too long for this to be noted if the issue's widespread.

I'm sorry if this is asking you to backtrack, but it seems worth mentioning since the S8 is among the first devices to launch with Bluetooth 5.0 -- have you already had a moment to double check that the Bluetooth technology listed here: Tech specs: Samsung Galaxy S8 is compatible with the speaker systems in the two cars you're having trouble pairing in?

Lastly, did you have the chance to connect with a Samsung representative while visiting their site? It would definitely be interesting to hear their perspective.

- Marissa

• tmo_mike_c

Hi magenta1725445 .

I'm just checking in to see if you had the chance to follow Marissa's suggestion? Please give us a holler back and let us know how things are going. Thank you.

• magenta1725445

Hi, thanks for the follow-up. With respect to Marissa's suggestion, I looked at the tech specs. As far as I know, Bluetooth 5.0 is backward-compatible with older devices (and it must be, or you'd hear a lot more complaining!).

As I mentioned, my previous Galaxy S7 never had an issue connecting to my cars or any other Bluetooth devices. With the latest update about a week ago, the Galaxy S8+ will connect to one car, but not the other. And that remains the case.

To answer Marissa's last question, no, I didn't have contact with a Samsung representative. There was a moderator in the discussion, but he or she didn't seem to be a representative.

• tmo_mike_c

Sounds like you made a little bit of progress with this phone connecting to one car, but I agree, there's still a problem. Most car websites have a Bluetooth compatibility section that'll show which phones can connect. I'm also curious if the S8+ connects to a regular Bluetooth headset device instead of just the one car. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

• tmo_amanda

Hey, magenta1725445!

I just wanted to stop by to see if you have any updates for us.

Have the Bluetooth issues on the S8/+ improved within the past week?

• tmo_marissa

Hey there! Just wanted to swing by and see if there'd been any update on your Bluetooth status with the second vehicle. Were you able to get any info from your auto manufacturer's site?

- Marissa

• magenta1725445

Hi, there's no change in the status -- Bluetooth still doesn't work on the second vehicle. I installed the latest software update two days ago, but that didn't help. I wasn't able to find any information on the BMW site that indicated why there might be an issue.

I'm still a bit confused -- my previous Galaxy S7 edge had no trouble connecting to the vehicles, and, despite a long thread on the Samsung site, most people don't seem to be having issues. Is it just my phone?

• tmo_marissa

It's rough to say if it's the device or the car, and going through the trouble of replacing the device itself only to find out that it's the car would be such a bummer. When you plug your details in here, does everything look like it should be working? Home - BMW North America - Bluetooth Compatibility

This is the stereo system that came with the vehicle and not an after-market addition, right?
                              When I go back to the Samsung forum you shared, and search the "S8 - Questions and Answers" discussion space for "BMW", it definitely doesn't look like you're alone. This is a totally huge and unattractive link, so I'm going to rename it, but see if you can scope out these search results.

- Marissa

• magenta1725445

Marissa,

Thanks, I checked the site that you sent. My phone isn't listed as working with the software version installed, but the list can't be exhaustive. In that regard, my previous phone isn't listed either, but that phone worked perfectly (and my wife's iPhone 7 plus works perfectly). It just seems to be a Samsung issue, and they're not addressing it.