DIGITS vs Wifi Calling

arrowspark

So can DIGITS be a substitute for Wifi Calling on phones that don't support the Wifi Calling Feature? 

Would there be any differences between using DIGITS vs Wifi Calling from a wifi hotspot overseas for example

All replies

• debjitjdv

Re: DIGITS vs Wifi Calling

You need to ensure that you are not routing the calls via CELLULAR DATA. That will incur cost for sure.

• artart

arrowspark wrote:

So can DIGITS be a substitute for Wifi Calling on phones that don't support the Wifi Calling Feature?

Would there be any differences between using DIGITS vs Wifi Calling from a wifi hotspot overseas for example

Hi arrowspark

Welcome to the T-Mobile Community Forum

Most of us here are customers just like you are. We try to share our knowledge and personal experiences to help each other. We don't speak officially for T-Mobile. There are T-Mobile forum managers who work here and will be replying to your question sooner rather than later. The managers user names all start with "tmo_". which will identify them as being able to give you official responses to your questions. In the meantime let me see if I can provide a tiny bit of unofficial information based only upon my own personal experience. I hope you find it helpful.

I have a Verizon branded Galaxy S7 and it does not have wi-fi calling capabilities on the t-Mobile network. I wasn't sure DIGITS would work on the S7 for that reason. I installed the DIGITS app in the S7 , and it works fine. My second line (not native to the S7) absolutely works fine on the S7 . That verifies that in my case the DIGITS software did allow me to make calls over wi-fi although I wasn't able to before.. Try downloading the DIGITS app for the phone in question. Then see if you have the same pleasant surprise I had.

Hang in with us for a while, and you will get a definitive answer about the overseas calling via hotspot. In the meantime if you could provide the makes and models of your phones, along with the T-Mobile plan you have, either some other community members or managers might be able to give you even more info.

In the meantime why don't you just fire up the DIGITS app and see if you can make a wi-fi call.

Art

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • arrowspark

Hi  artart, thanks.  I have the Tmobile One plan and am using the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition X1575.  I've tried DIGITS and it works on my phone though I am not sure how the calls are being routed (voice, or 4G data, or wifi).  My only other mobile device is a wifi only samsung galaxy note running honeycomb but the DIGITS app says it is not compatible so I'm not able to test it out on that.

• artart

arrowspark wrote:

Hi artart, thanks. I have the Tmobile One plan and am using the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition X1575. I've tried DIGITS and it works on my phone though I am not sure how the calls are being routed (voice, or 4G data, or wifi). My only other mobile device is a wifi only samsung galaxy note running honeycomb but the DIGITS app says it is not compatible so I'm not able to test it out on that.

Hi back at ya arrowspark

Not just my G7 but my tablet and laptop also now make calls.

They don't have SIM cards. A phone without a SIM card is just a small tablet.

Sooo How about removing the SIM card form the Moto X?  See what happens.

Art

• debjitjdv

arrowspark

Yes its a hard requirement. YOu must run Android 5.0+ i.e.e Lollipop or more. You may burn custom OS like CyanogenMod but thats NOT SUGGESTED as during BETA we have seen lots of issues were happening with non-official OS.

Just switch off your Cellular DATA and keep wifi on. To do that

1. Switch on Airplane mode in your phone. You will loss cellular connectivity, bluetooth connectivity and wifi connectivity.
                    2. Then just switch on Wifi.
                    3. This is as good as removing SIM card without the hassle of removing SIM card.
                    4. When the test is done, switch off the airplane mode.
                      • artart

debjitjdv wrote:

arrowspark

Yes its a hard requirement. YOu must run Android 5.0+ i.e.e Lollipop or more. You may burn custom OS like CyanogenMod but thats NOT SUGGESTED as during BETA we have seen lots of issues were happening with non-official OS.

Just switch off your Cellular DATA and keep wifi on. To do that

1. Switch on Airplane mode in your phone. You will loss cellular connectivity, bluetooth connectivity and wifi connectivity.
                        2. Then just switch on Wifi.
                        3. This is as good as removing SIM card without the hassle of removing SIM card.
                        4. When the test is done, switch off the airplane mode.

Hi there  debjitjdv

Do you mind if I ask you a question?

Why didn't you answer  arrowspark 's  question yesterday?

Did you know the answer yesterday?. Do you know the answer today?

I at least tried to address the question to help arrowspark

I thought I would share how wonderful

DIGITS worked for me in a similar situation  I didn't know for sure if it would work the same way for arrowspark   I did my best to offer a simple suggestion that might work. I didn't really think removing a SIM card was much of a "hassle".  I think it is wonderful that you cared enough to suggest a better way to disable the SIM card. I am always looking for a better way of doing things.

Speaking of a better way to do something I would like

to share some of my observations about the members of this forum.

There are a lot of really wonderful, polite, courteous, well mannered, non judgmental, knowledgeable people here. You for instance seem to be quite knowledgeable about DIGITS. I would humbly ask you to consider what might be a slightly better way of rebuking a fellow forum member.

When I comment, I might not always have the perfect solution.

I do try to clarify what I know as a fact, supposition, or outright guess. I also try to always be kind and considerate of other people.  Lets look at it from this point of view.. People don't want to frequent a forum where they are made to feel uncomfortable, Please let me share with you how I would have politely handled my  rebuke of ArtArt for his less than perfect solution for disabling a SIM card.

I would have said something like this.

"I think that artart 's suggestion might be

worth trying, In fact I might even be able  to

offer a suggestion that will make it easier for you."

Just switch off cellular Data and keep wi-fi on

Here is how:

Switch on Airplane mode.

Then switch on Wifi.

Then run your test. See if it works."

I hope that you appreciate me sharing

the way I would have done it.  Lets work to make this forum even better together. Of course I don't presume to suggest that you change your style of interacting in a social forum just because I made a friendly suggestion.

The last time you attempted to correct my point of view,  you sent me "Warm Magentalove." If you meant that as an act of kindness, I also want to send you "Warm Magentalove"  back and I am also throwing in a couple of these 

Art

• debjitjdv

artart

Ahh. I was waiting for your message to me. I knew eventually it will come. So may I request you to look into the community web page, how many questions I have answered relentless over the weekend and last 4 5 days after DIGITS have launched on 1st June? Possibly countless.

I am trying to answer as many as I can as it appearing in my inbox irrespective of date and time. And I just suggested another way to arrowspark and never said that your method is NON-WORKING. I believe I am pretty much polite and informative in the way I write my posts. And I am careful in chooosing my words. If you think suggesting an alternative way is rebuking you, I have no word for you then. I said my method is as good as your method minus the hassle of sim removal - which by no means saying that your method is non-working. Please try to read the fine line of my words. And yes, no matter what, I will keep on posting my suggestions in the way I deem fit, following the suggestion is upto someone else. But I try to be to the point, precise and less intrusive and hassle free way. Lets not show any personal vendetta here rather make it better together. If you ask what I would have done if you had posted an alternate way, I would have liked it and given you a thumbs up.

Anyway, I appreciate all the ways people can make a job done. What matters to me is the job get done. Nothing else. And thanks for your magentalove. I take it as a complement.

• arrowspark

Hi, So I verified that my phone can make calls through DIGITS using wifi.   I've never owned a wifi calling capable phone so I've never used that feature before.  I'm assuming the end user experience is not the same between DIGITS and Wifi Calling, otherwise T-Mobile would have rolled the wifi calling feature into DIGITS.  There must be something(s) that wifi calling can do that DIGITS cannot.  I'm just wondering what that is.  

• debjitjdv

arrowspark : Glad it worked. Interesting question.

As per my understanding, WIFI calling is a feature that is baked into the phone os or more technically sandboxed in the ROM. I believe it uses a technology similar to SIP or Session Initiation Protocol . Google Voice used to have the SIP service but lately they have scrapped it. SIP needs a carrier specific server and port ID and I believe T-Mo wanted to keep that safe and hence never released publicly unlike Google Voice. Back in the days of Note 1, S3, S4 there used to be an option for SIP in the phone settings in Android but now that no longer exists. I believe DIGITS app has something like that in built already and thats the reason you can still place call over WIFI or send text using DIGITS app over WIFI. And to support the HD Voice, atleast in Samsung phones like S6 or S7 or S7 Edge or Note 5 or S8 or S8+, in-buult Multi line settings uses VoLTE such that high bandwidth is available to encode the voice over high bit stream. In case of wifi that high bandwidth is any way available so calls sound richer and clearer anyway.

Well, these are my personal speculation based on my knowledge. So take it with a pinch of salt.

I believe T-Mobile is using IMS (IP Media Subsystem) as the foundation of DIGITS. While it's not SIP, it is possible to bridge the two together, with some constraints (not all the capabilities of one protocol have an equivalent in the other).

I've seen plenty of requests for DIGITS access via SIP during the beta period. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'WebDigits' portal is based on WebRTC, which usually uses SIP signalling.

I'd certainly love to see T-Mobile support SIP connectivity - that would enable all kinds of useful integration. But while it's certainly feasible from a technical standpoint, it's an entirely different audience and support burden for them. So there may be business reasons why they don't support it, or it's only unofficially available to retail customers. I could see it being offered to the '@work' enterprise customers first, then maybe retail customers once all the kinks are worked out and they understand how to support it.

Alternatively, if they were to enable me to do some programmatic call filtering/handling on incoming calls, that's what I'm really looking for. I'm using Twilio to do that today, and are following the evolution of Twilio's 'programmable wireless' service with great interest (which I believe is an MVNO on the T-Mobile network).

• debjitjdv

Yeah they use IMS when it's in LTE. It is visible in the Samsung phone. But in UMTS it may not use IMS. Its kind of the essence of SIP back in the day of wifi calling started I believe. Google used to have this service but now they stopped it for some reason. OBI  uses XMPP to access Google Voice.

• artart

debjitjdv wrote:

artart

Ahh. I was waiting for your message to me. I knew eventually it will come. So may I request you to look into the community web page, how many questions I have answered relentless over the weekend and last 4 5 days after DIGITS have launched on 1st June? Possibly countless.

I am trying to answer as many as I can as it appearing in my inbox irrespective of date and time. And I just suggested another way to arrowspark and never said that your method is NON-WORKING.

* I believe I am pretty much polite and informative in the way I write my posts. And I am careful in chooosing my words.

If you think suggesting an alternative way is rebuking you, I have no word for you then. I said my method is as good as your method minus the hassle of sim removal - which by no means saying that your method is non-working.

Please try to read the fine line of my words. And yes, no matter what, I will keep on posting my suggestions in the way I deem fit, following the suggestion is upto someone else. But I try to be to the point, precise and less intrusive and hassle free way. Lets not show any personal vendetta here rather make it better together. If you ask what I would have done if you had posted an alternate way, I would have liked it and given you a thumbs up.

Anyway, I appreciate all the ways people can make a job done. What matters to me is the job get done. Nothing else. And thanks for your magentalove. I take it as a complement.

debjitjdv

Now now  my friend why are you so upset?

I agree with you that you are very careful about how you "choose your words". Lets " try to read the fine line of your words ".

The supposedly defensive plea below and call to reason is nothing more than a thinly veiled personal attack..

* You state:  "Lets not show any personal vendetta here rather make it better together"

1  The first half of the statement is a double entendre. The choice of words for the command "Lets not show" is a command given to subordinates to cease doing something they shouldn't be doing. It connotes absolute authority. A school teacher will speak with authority to a class of little children; "Lets not talk all at once".

2  The second meaning of "Lets not show" connotes that the subordinates are childlike in age or intelligence.

3  The second attack phrase is "show any personal vendetta here", suggesting that I am threatening you with a vendetta. That is the claim to be a victim gambit You are publicly accusing me of somehow having a personal vendetta. That is actually an attack on my character. That is the ultimate put down. There is absolutely no justification for that statement, That is what is called in the Community Rules a personal attack. I did absolutely nothing to attack you, I used your own words to respond to your latest put down.

4  Linked to the first phrase is your usual follow up "rather make it better together"  which is designed to connote that you are being reasonable and the subordinate is being unreasonable. That is the second time you hit me with the same demeaning command to make it better together, indicating that You will help me do what I am supposed to do under your guidance.

Why the over reaction? The real reason you are so angry is I used your very own words through my whole post.  You recognized a put down when you saw it. You are just not used to the shoe being on the foot. I thought I was really being sensitive and compassionate when I used this phrase: " Lets work to make this forum even better together"

I really really meant that it would take a little cooperation on both of our parts . The key word is cooporation like in a community where everybody is equal where everybody pitches in to help out.. This is a fantastic community, Even the managers don't have to do much managing. Hey I just got an idea. That heavy work load you said was so hard to keep up with in your inbox. . . . Why don't  you ask for some of the other members to chime in and help out. O right they probably aren't up to speed yet.

As far as whether I was insulted that you had a better idea. Let me state here and now you actually did have a better idea. I even told you that in the reply that made you angry. Don't worry you get the credit for having a better way to do something. If ever someone ever has the same issue and am sharing your better way. I will even give credit as the person who taught us the technique.an tag you so you up in to the thread and take a bow.

• artart

arrowspark 

So everything worked out OK? 

Art

• tmo_chris

Hey folks!

I wanted to pop in here an clear up any confusion. For the OP and any other inquiring minds, calls made using the DIGITS app while international will follow all the same rules as any cellular line where the calls would be billed at the per minute rate for the country/country you are calling. What this means is whether you are using the DIGITS app or the phone itself with a DIGITS talk/text (virtual) or a Data w/paired DIGITS (duplicate) the calls are going to mirror how a standard GSM (T-Mobile Voice line). With a standard T-Mobile voice line, Wi-Fi calls back to the US while in a Simple Global country or $0.00/min. Calls made through the DIGITS app using Wi-Fi only, will essentially be a Wi-Fi call and would be $0.00/min when calling back to the US while in a Simple Global country.

Also, artart and debjitjdv, I appreciate both of your contributions here. I for one can attest to the amount of DIGITS posts that debjitjdv has replied to. I am almost positive that he has replied to more public posts than I have at this point haha but I also have a private message inbox the size of a small mountain that I am maintaining.

• debjitjdv

So here is a short example or chart how call rate will be.

Assumption: You are on Simple Choice, Simple Choice NA, T-Mobile One, T-Mobile One Plus (Tax inclusive or exclusive) with or without State Side calling feature added

Outgoing / Incoming Text Messages: Free

Call Outgoing:

Originating in Simple Global Country to US via WIFI : Free

Originating in Simple Global Country to US via Cellular Network : $0.20/min

Originating in Simple Global Country to Simple Global Country via WIFI : $0.20/min

Call Incoming:

Originating in US to Simple Global Country via WIFI : Free

Originating in US to Simple Global Country via Cellular Network : $0.20/min

Originating in Simple Global Country to Simple Global Country via WIFI : $0.20/min

Any other call combination will be charged at a standard rate. tmo_chris please certify this if I am correct.

• debjitjdv

Call Incoming:

Originating in US to Simple Global Country via WIFI : Free

Originating in US to Simple Global Country via Cellular Network : $0.20/min

Originating in Simple Global Country to Simple Global Country via Cellular Network : $0.20/min (prev message has typo)

• magenta1941173

This is super helpful. What would the scenario be for using the PC client? And what would the scenario be for using Cellular or Mobile Data on a non-tmobile network utilizing a non-tmobile sim? 

tmo_chris - It would be great for T-mobile itself to publish official guidance as clearly as debjitjdv has done.

• debjitjdv

Hi magenta1941173

If you find my answer helpful please mark it correct or helpful as it will uprank me in the community.

Now for the PC client there are two scenarios:

1. You are abroad and connected to US via VPN like Office VPN and then login DIGITS app. All calls should get routed via VPN pipe making DIGITS appear to think that calls are originating in US. In this case usual fee should apply
                                                2. You are abroad and not connected via VPN to US. Then your call rate will be same as wifi caliing rates as I posted before.

Cellular Data Mode on a Non-TMobile network Non-T-Mobile SIM:: Should be treated as Wifi calling rate when you are abroad but within US it should be just as usual except you may get a heavy data usage from the other carrier and you may incur charge. Let me know if it answers your query.

• swolfe

So I can't figure out how to create a new topic so I guess I have to hook onto someone else's. I have no interest in using multiple devices, but I AM interested in being able to use Digits to function ONLY as a wifi calling service on my primary device. If it can't do this, please let me know as I will drop it. Plus, I DON'T want it to function as a texting device as I already have data texting through other apps and I don't want to get copies of the same SMS texts in both the Digits app and my normal texting app.

I tried turning on airplane mode then turning on wifi so that I would not have mobile access but would have internet access. Then I tried to call my phone from another phone but it went straight to voicemail. The notification in the pulldown menu for android said Digits was "ready". I then tried to make a call out but it told me I would have to turn off airplane mode to make a call. How can I test it? I'm interested in wifi calling because there is one place I go to 3 hours from here with no cell signal and wifi calling would be helpful, but I don't want to drive 3 hours to test this.