T-mobile NXT Cel-Fi-D32-NU

I recently switched to T-mobile from Verizon.  We have the LG K20 phones and love them.  But,  we have only a few places inside the house that get 2 bars and 4G signal which makes it somewhat inconvenient for us.  I researched and purchased a T-mobile NXT Cel-Fi-D32-NU signal booster from Amazon and I registered it on the T-mobile website even though Amazon says they do that when the device is purchased. I did the quick set up per the guide and the window unit is not showing any bars of signal.  The unit goes through the self check on power up,  so I know the display is working okay.  I have 2 bars and 4G in the same location with my phone,  so I think the window unit might be bad.  This was a new unit wrapped in plastic and not a used one...

Is there something else I can try?  I read in another forum that it can take a few days for the unit to connect,  so I have let it plugged in for 4 days now with no success.  The green power indicator just flashes indicating it can't find the network.  The coverage unit appears to be working fine.  Just no signal from the window unit...

I read the cell spot mini tower is a better option,  but you need to have an internet connection to use it.  We are using the LG K20 as a hot spot,  so that would not work for us.  Any suggestions??

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: T-mobile NXT Cel-Fi-D32-NU

Hey there!

Welcome to T-Mobile! Having a stronger signal inside your home is a must and you definitely took the right path with getting a signal booster. It sounds like the set-up may not be complete even though it's registered (which I'm glad you went ahead and did). Can you take a look at the .pdf file at the bottom of this link? It'll take you through all of the set-up steps. Please let me know once you've completed the set-up per the .pdf file and what color lights you see on the signal booster afterwards.

Hi Amanda,  I have been in touch with Rosa Suarez (celfi) <support@celfi.zendesk.com> and did quite a bit of troubleshooting.  She was great to work with and offered the following:

Hi Michael,

I appreciate the information you've provided. I would like to take a look at what your mobile device is picking up.

Step 1:

Download the free App called LTE Discovery on your android device (will not work on iPhone)

Step 2:

Disable Wi-Fi.

Launch the App next to the:

1st - Window Unit-with it ON

2nd- Coverage Unit with it ON

3rd-  Coverage Unit with it OFF

Please see image below, this is an example of what I'm looking for.

Please provide screenshots like the one above at each location Window Unit- ON, Coverage Unit- ON

and Coverage Unit- OFF.

Please label each image WU-ON, CU-ON and CU-OFF.

This will allow me to see what your mobile device is doing.

Thank you,

Rosa

Next we tried the following and ended up determining my window unit is defective.  I am in the process now of getting a replacement unit once I process my return through Amazon.

Hi Michael,

I appreciate you sending over the images.

The signal at the WU in the images appears to be jumping around from -116 dBm to -117 dBm. 

It could be 1 of 2 issues:

Issue 1:

The threshold for LTE signal is -120 dBm anything close to -120 dBm or around this signal strength is considered to be too weak to boost.

I suggest you use the LTE discovery app to locate a better signal for your WU, preferably below -109 dBm. Once you've located a better incoming signal, perform a test call and make sure you have no call audio issues. Then proceed to relocate the WU there. Please note that Cel-Fi systems require at least one bar of usable signal, meaning you have to be able to make and hold a call at any given location without any issues. Having 1 bar of signal at the NU is not concerning as long as you are able to make and hold a call there without any issues.

Issue 2:

If you've relocated the WU and you are still having issues it can be that the WU is defective.

Lets try the above and see if we can get the WU to pick up a signal, we will then go from there.

Kind regards,
          Rosa

I wlll update the post when I get the replacement units

• tmo_amanda

Wow, I've definitely learned something from this! Thank you so much for posting the entire conversation as I think it will be helpful for others that may encounter the same situation.

Yes, please keep this thread updated with the outcome of the exchange! I'm eager to hear if replacing the coverage device is the solution.

Thanks Amanda,  I have a replacement on order.  I had to go through the return procedure with Amazon to get my money back and then repurchase. I should receive it next Tuesday and I will update the discussion board when I get it connected...

Mike

• tmo_amanda

Perfect! That's interesting that you had to go through a refund then repurchase the device but if that does the trick...!

By the way, thanks for staying active on this thread and keeping us updated.

Hi Amanda, 

I got my replacement and tried all day yesterday (6/13) to get it to work.  It has different problems than the first unit I purchased.  Troubleshooting with Rosa and I find out that the unit I purchased this time (not from Amazon, but from BigDeals) is a used unit.  The WU and CU that were sent have different serial numbers than what is shown on the box,  so I am sure this is a repackaged used item (likely a returned item) and I am going to attempt to get my money back from BigDeals...    So,  I still don't have a working unit and I am not sure when I will!!  But I will keep you informed as I go forward with this...

Mike

1937 Chevy Master Deluxe 5 Window Coupe1969 Chevy C-10 LWB Fleetside Pickup1972 Chevy C-10 SWB Fleetside Pickup

Hi Amanda,  

I had another discussion with Rosa and she feels that the signal at my house is a little bit too unstable for the Cel-Fi unit to work.  Since there is no provision to use an outside antenna,  I am looking at alternatives...  I will let you know what I end up with going forward... 

Maybe you can answer a question for me though.   I am currently using one of my phones for a hotspot.  I am currently paying the extra $25 for unlimited data when using it as a hotspot.   I am wondering if I should purchase one of your mobile hotspots and move that $25 to the hotspot device.  Would this require me to pay for an additional line to activate the hotspot device??

Thanks,

Mike

• tmo_amanda

Hey Mike,

I'm bummed to hear that the Cel-Fi isn't going to work out. Although, I'm happy to see that Rosa has been a huge help.

As far as hotspot goes, it would considered an additional line, but in most cases, you would receive a $10 discount off the the cost of that line.

Thanks Amanda,   

I ordered another type of booster that has an external antenna and the booster has the internal antenna built on it...  It should be here Thursday...  It will take me a few days to get it installed because it will involve going on the roof,  drilling some holes,  mounting the antenna and fishing the wires...   Oh well,  if the Cel-Fi unit worked for my location it sure would have saved me a lot of work...   

Have a great day,  Mike

1937 Chevy Master Deluxe 5 Window Coupe1969 Chevy C-10 LWB Fleetside Pickup1972 Chevy C-10 SWB Fleetside Pickup

• tmo_amanda

Wow, that sounds like quite the antenna, Mike! I'm sure the Cel-Fi would've save a lot of time from the sounds of how intense the installation for this new booster is. Yes, please let me know how it goes! Fingers crossed that all the hard work pays off.

• jayslay

Hey Mike - sounds like I have nearly the same situation. Thanks so much for the information. Is the signal booster you eventually bought and installed still working well for you and your t-mobile LG K20 plus phone and internet hotspot?

Amazon.com: SolidRF SOHO Tri-Band AT&T 4G/LTE Cell Phone Booster For All Carriers 2G/3G and AT&T 4G LTE, 700(Band12)/850…

If so - I'll look to purchase your suggested item.

See my post from earlier today in a different thread where someone else was asking when T-mobile will provide a band 12 compatible signal booster for their customers in limited service areas like ours.

-------Earlier post in this community---

While this thread is getting old, it speaks to the issue I just faced in the past few days. So thought I share this in case it helps others going down this 'rat hole'.

Have a new T-mobile LG K20 Plus (been a t-mobile customer for all of 1 week) and phone gets 3-4 bars (-109 dBm) LTE 4G Band 12 service in 1 window of the house. I'm planning to disconnecting my very slow DSL Verizon internet as soon as I work through this reception issue. With phone in the window and setup as a hotspot, I'm getting decent download speeds of up to 14.11 Mbps - upload speed and rather poor at 1.7Mbps. But I can't keep the phone in the window the res of my life.

So order the Signal booster ( one w/o the internet) and after t-mobile ordered the wrong one, I received the correct unit yesterday (Appreciate that T-mobile waived the $25 security deposit and shipping costs). Was all excited - plugged in the window unit, self-test seemed to pass, then green power light just sat there blinking green over an over for hours. Never picked up a signal.

After looking at this forum, it turns out that these 'free' boosters do NOT support T-mobile band 12, and that is the only t-mobile service I can pick up at my home. I called technical support this morning and the tech verified that they only support bands 2 & 4 and he did not know of any plans to update their units with a Nextivity model that supports band 12. So although T-mobile was will to send me another Signal Booster Unit thinking that perhaps the last one was defective, I canceled that order since it appears this unit will not work with the current T-mobile coverage at my house.

I suggest T-mobile ask their customers to determine what 4G LTE service they are receiving before wasting time and money (mine and theirs) sending out these units to people like me who only have band 12 available in their area. T-mobile is launching band 71 and also has band 66, so why aren't their boosters keeping up with their network technology? UNthinkable John Legere (CEO of T-Mobile).