bulk international SMS not receiving

directore

I have a bank account outside US (Europe) that uses texting (SMS messages) to send authorization codes each time I want to transfer money to other parties. Unfortunately I never receive these messages on my US T-Mobile phone. They investigated the issue a number of times on my request and each time they say: talk to your US provider, nothing wrong on our end, all our messages go out fine, each time we get a message from our operator "message sent successfully". I tried to explain to them that I have no problems with receiving SMS from their country from other senders on my US phone, they arrive immediately and w/o fail. So now they say to check with the US operator whether they block international SMSs sent as "bulk  SMS" which is what their operator uses when sending out their messages. They explain "bulk sms" as sms that does not include sender phone number only sender name.

So the question is does US T-Mobile block BULK SMS from Europe?

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: bulk international SMS not receiving

What type of account do you have?  If it is a pre-paid account short code SMS are not allowed. If post-paid here is a link to some troubleshooting tips; https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4220#shortcodes

• tmo_amanda

Happy Wednesday!

Did you get this sorted out yet? If not, please take a look at stevetjr's reply above. Knowing your account type makes a big difference on the solution to your problem.

Keep us posted

• tmo_marissa

Hey there, directore! Just wanted to touch base and see if you'd been able to get to the bottom of this yet. How is everything going?

- Marissa

• directore

Yes in a negative way. That is I was informed by your rep that T-Mobile does not deliver "bulk SMS" text messages arriving from abroad. That is imho a terrible policy, the reason being that a lot of European banks send their authorization codes (required for wire transactions) via "bulk messages as opposed to normal SMSs, their rational being  that recipients of such messages have no need to respond to them thus "bulk SMS" which do not include sender's phone number should be sufficient plus they have  the advantage of minimizing the accidental client to bank return SMS traffic. T-Mobile policy of not delivering such messages is frankly customer hostile, your only potential excuse that it was likely imposed on you from high above.

• tmo_marissa

Wow, I am sorry to hear that. I was aware of an inability to send messages to international short codes, but was not aware that we didn't deliver these message types. I apologize that our knowledge gap led you to turn elsewhere for the answer, and can understand why you're disappointed. Thank you for taking the time to return here to let us know what you found out, and provide your feedback -- we'll forward it on. Even though we don't make the decisions about these policies, we never mind sharing the opinions of our customers.

- Marissa