Paired Digits not working

magenta1662248

Hello,

I was told yesterday that the paired digits is not currently operational. Because of this, I was told that currently I cannot use Digits to make or receive phones calls from my Secondary SIM [aka duplicated SIM] phone unless WiFi is present on that phone.

I am on a grandfathered Simple Choice plan. Here are the steps I took to make it work:

1. Got a duplicate SIM from a TMobile store.

2. Installed the DIGITS app on both my primary and secondary phones using a WiFi connection.

3. Activated the DIGITS app on both phones using my primary phone number and entered the 6 digits code sent to me by SMS. Activation succeeded on both phones.

4. Logged on to my TMobile account on my PC and paired the primary phone and secondary phone.

5.  Turned off WiFi - I found the DIGITS app cannot even sign in on the secondary phone. On further investigation, I found data on secondary phone does not work at all.

6. I expected both numbers to ring but only primary rang. Secondary does not ring even when it is on WiFi and digits is signed in.

7. Making phone call from primary succeeds but making phone call from secondary connects me to TMobile customer service. This happens irrespective of whether I make the call using the Phone app or using the DIGITS app.

In short, it seems that the secondary number only works with WiFi.

On trying to engage with TMobile customer service, I was told that Paired digits will not work for some time and there will be a future updated which will make it operational.

Has anyone succeeded on making the paired digits work with two smartphones and duplicate SIM Card?

If the scenario is currently not supported, when will it be supported?

If it is supported and the customer rep was not aware of it, what additional steps do I need take to make it work?

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Paired Digits not working

Aw shucks magenta1662248 , this is a big deal. We really wanna make sure this gets working and you have a much better experience with this new service. Have you also gone through the steps under Manage a Data with Paired DIGITS line section? If so, have you already restarted you duplicate device and retested to see if service is working? Please keep us posted on this. We know this is a new feature, but we wanna do everything we can to help you.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta1662248! We just wanted to check back in here and see how you're doing. Any updates to this situation? Did you have a chance to take a look at tmo_mike_c's question about signal on the second device/error messages during setup? How is everything going for you?

- Marissa

• magenta1662248

Hello Mike and Marissa,

Thanks for checking in with me and providing valuable suggestions for investigating the issue I was hitting.

I had full signal strength. I tried to call TMobile customer service again and was sent to technical support folks because the initial support reps could not find anything wrong with my setup.

It is that person who finally "resolved" my issue by telling me that Paired Digits is only for those people on the new One Choice plans. I was told that my option is to move to that plan or to do without DIGITS. That was a non choice for me so I resolved to give up DIGITS and got the DIGITS line disconnected. TMobile was nice enough to not charge me for the two days I spent struggling to get it to work!

The person I talked to was very nice to read to me from their relevant section in support docs where it said that only One Choice plans are supported with Paired Digits. I was however not able to see it in any of the TMobile ads over the last few weeks that I waited very excitedly for this new feature. No fine print mentioned it either.

It would be nice if TMobile made it clear in their ads fine print that ringing multiple on phones with same number only works if you are on the One Choice plan or if you have WiFi available. If you want the paired DIGITS functionality where multiple lines ring irrespective of whether you have WiFi or not, you need to move to the One Choice plans.

Otherwise the functionality provided by DIGITS is what Google Voice etc. already provide. At least that is what I understood after spending 4+ hours on the phone with 7 different TMobile representatives. My apologies if I got any of that wrong.

• tmo_chris

Hmmmm,

Something does not seem right here. What is the name of your specific plan? You can see this in your my.t-mobile account.

• magenta1662248

Hello Chris,

"Simple Choice" is the name of my plan. I am pasting the details that I see about my plan when I go to MyTmobile. I have removed all the Personal Information.

To: R Fey <for_cema@yahoo.com>

Sent: Friday, June 9, 2017 10:25 AM

Subject:  - Paired Digits not working

#yiv7426063682 * #yiv7426063682 a #yiv7426063682 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv7426063682 #yiv7426063682 h1, #yiv7426063682 h2, #yiv7426063682 h3, #yiv7426063682 h4, #yiv7426063682 h5, #yiv7426063682 h6, #yiv7426063682 p, #yiv7426063682 hr {}#yiv7426063682 .yiv7426063682button td {}

|

T-Mobile Support

|

created by tmo_chris in DIGITS - View the full discussionHmmmm,  Something does not seem right here. What is the name of your specific plan? You can see this in your my.t-mobile account. There is new activity on a discussion that you have participated in or followed. You can reply right here in email or by following this link Paired Digits not working Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.  This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• tmo_chris

Okay, you should definitely be able to add a "DATA with paired DIGITS" line to your account. We have many users on that plan that have active and working DWPD lines. I would recommend that you Contact Us again and just say that you want to add a "DATA with Paired DIGITS" line to your account to duplicate your primary number.

• magenta1662248

Hello Chris - Thanks for your engagement and encouragement, I do not mind giving another try. 

I need one quick help from you - could you please confirm that this needs me to get a SIM Card? In my experience, it has been hard for me to explain to people what I want(my fault) and before I go ahead, I want to make sure I was able to explain to you what I want .

Sent: Friday, June 9, 2017 11:30 AM

#yiv1939721222 * #yiv1939721222 a #yiv1939721222 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv1939721222 #yiv1939721222 h1, #yiv1939721222 h2, #yiv1939721222 h3, #yiv1939721222 h4, #yiv1939721222 h5, #yiv1939721222 h6, #yiv1939721222 p, #yiv1939721222 hr {}#yiv1939721222 .yiv1939721222button td {}

|

T-Mobile Support

|

created by tmo_chris in DIGITS - View the full discussionOkay, you should definitely be able to add a "DATA with paired DIGITS" line to your account. We have many users on that plan that have active and working DWPD lines. I would recommend that you Contact Us again and just say that you want to add a "DATA with Paired DIGITS" line to your account to duplicate your primary number. There is new activity on a discussion that you have participated in or followed. You can reply right here in email or by following this link Paired Digits not working Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.  This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• debjitjdv

magenta1662248

Steps to follow:

1. Call 1-844-889-5651
                                  2. Tell them you need a DATA with Paired DIGITS. (You are certainly eligible as you are in Simple Choice and I am in Simple Choice as well)
                                  3. It will cost you $10 per month per line
                                  4. You will need a DUPLICATE SIM Card and once they add it to your account they will ship out a SIM Card which should reach you in 5-7 business days
                                  5. Just put your new SIM card in any T-Mobile compatible device and VOILA.
                                  6. Please remember you can use your primary sim card in your primary device as well

Please let us know if you have any confusion

• magenta1662248

Hello Debjit,

Thanks a bunch - this time I will go with your suggested route by calling instead of going to a store so I can follow the exact steps that someone else has taken and verified to be working. Will document the progress here no matter how it goes. Thanks again to you and Chris for encouraging me to not give up so quickly.

From: debjitjdv <no-reply@t-mobile.com>

Sent: Friday, June 9, 2017 11:45 AM

#yiv1365964818 * #yiv1365964818 a #yiv1365964818 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv1365964818 #yiv1365964818 h1, #yiv1365964818 h2, #yiv1365964818 h3, #yiv1365964818 h4, #yiv1365964818 h5, #yiv1365964818 h6, #yiv1365964818 p, #yiv1365964818 hr {}#yiv1365964818 .yiv1365964818button td {}

|

T-Mobile Support

|

created by debjitjdv in DIGITS - View the full discussionmagenta1662248  Steps to follow:   

- Call 1-844-889-5651

- Tell them you need a DATA with Paired DIGITS. (You are certainly eligible as you are in Simple Choice and I am in Simple Choice as well)

- It will cost you $10 per month per line

- You will need a DUPLICATE SIM Card and once they add it to your account they will ship out a SIM Card which should reach you in 5-7 business days

- Just put your new SIM card in any T-Mobile compatible device and VOILA.

- Please remember you can use your primary sim card in your primary device as well

Please let us know if you have any confusionThere is new activity on a discussion that you have participated in or followed. You can reply right here in email or by following this link Paired Digits not working Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.  This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

• debjitjdv

Phase 2:

1. Once the SIM card arrives go to https://mydigits.t-mobile.com/consumer
                                      2. Pair the DUPLICATE SIM card number with your primary number as well.
                                      3. This step is needed to make sure you have the DUPLICATE line setup complete.
                                      4. You can do this before you put your new SIM card in your secondary device
                                      5. The rep may also be able to pair your DUPLICATE SIM card with primary number but since they may not have the SIMM ICCID or MSISDN immediately after they place the order, you may have to do it on your own
                                        • magenta1762965

1. Can you pair  the  data with digits sim with any number (  I have 7 numbers in my plan) or I can  pair with only the primary number .

2. I am on  T-mobile one plan with free plus promo for 5 lines and recently addedd 2 lines with one plan and added a plus promo   to line 6. So as it is paid one plus plan  I am able to receive a a free data with digit sim . Can I pair with any number on  my account  or do I have to pair with only to line 6.

• magenta1662248

@

Hello Everyone,

First of all, my thanks to this wonderful community that encouraged me to give DIGITS another try. Big shout-out and very many thanks to the amazing staff at T-Mobile who work tirelessly and with infinite patience for their customers. I finally got DIGITS to work with my plan and it would not have been possible without all the help from the TMobile staff, both in this forum as well as on the phone.

debjitdv and tmo_chris - THANK YOU!! Your instructions worked like a charm but it still took me over 10 days to get this to work and I would like to share with you how it could be made even better.

First time I called after getting your instructions, TMobile reps asked me to pay for second SIM. I refused because I only destroyed the last free SIM Card on being told that my plan was incompatible with Digits. So they very nicely relented and said that I would get the card for free but I will get it by post. It took over a week for the SIM Card to reach me[no fault of TMobile].

I called last night with the SIM in hand and the rep was very nice. She was on the phone with me for more than an hour and we almost made it work but then it turned out DIGITS cannot be enabled unless a SIM Kit is shipped to me and $25 charge is paid by me. Back to square one, I thought. Feeling I had no option, I agreed to it but much to my pleasant surprise, I was *immediately* given a credit of $25. Now that is some customer service....amazing and much appreciated.

By the time we finished talking, it was almost time for TMobile Digits customer service to close[they close shop at 11 PM MST which is 10 PM PST] and I was told that it takes 30 minutes to 2 hours for the new line to show up. So I went to bed and woke up at 4 AM PST to continue the effort. They were up already by then.

What happened next was was the most fun part and finally made me understand what this whole kerfuffle has come about. The rep I talked to said that I had to change my plan to get Digits with Paired Data High Speed. And I felt so dejected because this is exactly what I had been told before. But this time I persevered and the rep [Mr.Art from Texas] was very patient. I pointed him to this thread and he looked into it and said he will reply to this thread because the information here needs to be modified a bit. But I persevered and told him it was true. Instead of arguing with me, he decided to think about it and realized that he was assuming I needed Digits with Paired Data High Speed [introduced just two days ago] but I just needed Digits with Paired Data. That was the crucial bit which had been confusing some of the reps I talked to earlier and I would request TMobile to make it clear in their manuals etc. I am quite sure I used to explain my scenario as "One number, multiple phones without WiFi" so I do not know why people assumed I wanted High Speed data everywhere but my apologies if I confused anyone or wasted their time.

Anyways once this was clarified, it took less than an hour for *everything* to be setup and I had to do nothing at all. Effectively the only instruction I had to follow was "Call +1-844-889-5651". Everything including the pairing etc. was taken care of for me and soon I had two phones setup with my secondary having 512 Kbps data and I was able to get phone calls on both my phones at the same time with WiFi switched off on both! I found I can even call out on both lines at the same time [though it was only for testing and I have no intention of breaking any rules].

After much testing, I was able to find only one issue that makes me unsatisfied and will keep me from giving up my landline otherwise this is the best thing since sliced bread and I am really really very happy.

With the benefit of hindsight, I can say that Kudos to TMobile for launching the feature with such readiness that within less than a month of launch, even a totally clueless/naive customer like me was also able to make it work. Hopefully TMobile continues to work on it to make it better and also on converging/finalizing their messaging around this wonderful product.

tmo_chris@debjitdv

• debjitjdv

magenta1662248

Thanks for your kind words. Your feedback will help everyone in this community including myself. The reps at the 5651 number are the elite ones for DIGITS because they are working on DIGITS since BETA and has burnt gallons of night oil to straighten DIGITS.

Well Lets have a toast.. Toast to #DIGITS, #MagentaKingdom and Kudos to our hero tmo_chris