The 4s was an expensive mistake...

jason005869

There's already been discussions about this, but I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I've been with my 4s.

I used a Windows phone a few years back, and since I don't use a ton of apps, figured I would go back to it.  Big mistake.  I don't mind the lack of apps, but what IS there never seems to work.  I'll bullet point my major frustrations. 

-Mobile Edge browsing is glitchy and slow, with frequent buffering on videos (even over wi-fi).  Just give us Chrome already!

-The camera has a setting to "prevent accidental launch" which does nothing of the sort.  I would honestly pay good money to disable the gigantic button on the side of the phone altogether.

-Speaking of buttons.  It's like the lock screen sometimes just doesn't feel like locking.  I can lock the phone, put it in my pocket, and then hear Cortana yelling at me 20 minutes later...

-Everytime I restart my phone (once a week or so) it deletes all it's data related settings.  I have to manually enter APN and MMS settings so things will (kind of) work.  I will be honest, I don't even know what those things are, but google told me to do it and it worked.

-Had to warranty the phone in the first couple months because all the speakers went out.  Got the new one, and if I use headphones it will randomly disable the speakers even after being removed.  The only solution was to hard reset the phone.  Didn't bother doing another warranty.  I thought the "handling fee" was kind of stupid.  I'll just stick with bluetooth.

-You really can't talk to T-Mobile about this phone.  No one knows how to use it.  The person in store said they'd never used a windows phone and just looked at it like it was going to bite them, and the reps on the phone just tell you to pay the fee and warranty it.

I've had a ton of phones in my 10+ years with T-Mobile and this is the worst one.  I'm going to have to bite the bullet, pay off the 50% and jump soon.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: The 4s was an expensive mistake...

Yikes jason005869 !

I can totally see how this can be a headache for you. I'd think a factory reset would fix a lot of what's going on. I know you've hard reset, but have you tried a complete reset and tested it with all 3rd party apps off the phone? I can tell this has been a real pain, but I do wanna see this get resolved for you. Please keep us posted.

• kpo6969

I feel your pain (and I am also a 4s T-Mobile user). It sounds like you've had many issues. I really haven't had any problems with mine and at this point Alcatel doesn't care about Windows Mobile. They have never released a firmware update and for the unlocked ones they started selling the firmware they provided doesn't even work with the windows device recovery tool. I just hope mine will hold out until something comes out for windows10. It would have to have the Snapdragon 835 to run it on arm or the new shell Microsoft is working on. If you never visited here check out this forum thread just for the 4s. Good luck

https://forums.windowscentral.com/alcatel-idol-4s/

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • tmo_marissa

Just checking in here -- we wanted to see if you'd had any luck with the factory reset and running the device without third party applications to try to isolate a root cause. How is everything going?

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Hi, jason005869! We just wanted to check in once more and see if any of the recommended troubleshooting had been helpful. If you can get your 4S working at least until you hit that 50% EIP requirement to JUMP! naturally, we'd love to see you save the money! How is everything going? Did you have a chance to try these steps out?

- Marissa

• jason005869

I  did the reset and have not had data connection issues since. All the other frustrations are still around. Slow speeds, image flickering on the camera or video, etc. It's just a buggy OS that's not really supported by Microsoft. Bummer, but it is what it is.

• tmo_marissa

Well, that's a good news/bad news update if I ever did read one. I'm glad you're connecting, but sorry about the other issues. How many more installments do you have before you can JUMP!? I'm assuming that the device is still under warranty if you haven't hit that 50% mark yet... have you thought about talking it over with our Tech team to see if a replacement might be an option here? The Master Reset is our last resort step prior to completing an exchange, but I also don't know how interested you are in trying your luck with another 4S -- seems worth putting it out there, though! The image flickering would drive me crazy.

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Hey, jason005869. I just wanted to check in on you one more time... I know you were able to get the most important issue fixed here, but I still wanted to make sure we'd mentioned a warranty exchange or checked on how long you've got before you're JUMP! eligible. Please let us know if you have any more questions or if we can assist! Thank you.

- Marissa

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Please let us know if you need any additional help

• 916-496-0723

That's too bad, I was thinking about getting this phone but ended up getting the unlocked Android version instead. Happy with that decision. The speed is the only thing I have to complain about. I'll be upgrading to the LG V20 in the future. I'm a media consumer and the 4s checks all the boxes.blaine07