magenta1650625

Hi everyone. First post. I would be grateful for any help.My phone is a Samsung Galaxy J7.  I had just gotten a text from t-mobile saying I used all my high speed data and would be limited to slower speeds on the 2g network.  I've had it happen before with no issues. That is until yesterday, I have full Bars and what looks like arrows going up and down underneath a 4g indication. I am able to make calls. I had no internet Service when my High speed data ran out, unless I use wifi. Which I don't always have access to.  I tried the power down and remove the Battery reset. I have also contacted customer service who had me try the procedure of scanning for networks. I was able to see multiple carriers including t-mobile which I selected, and the phone registered on T-Mobile.However, I still had no luck in obtaining internet Service. I have tried this multiple times. Just now in fact. I even reset my APN to default even though I don't think I have ever changed it. The result has been the same. Does anyone have any ideas? I thought I might try factory default reset but would like to avoid that if at all possible. Does anyone know if 2G service is down in the NY metro area? I'm in North East NJ. Is it possible my phone has stopped working on 2g?

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Having the data blues is never any good magenta1650625 . For what it's worth, you did great job trying to fix this yourself. I'm curious, are you having trouble using a 3rd party app or your pre-installed browser? Are you getting any error messages? Please keep us posted on this. We wanna help as best as we can. Thanks!

• magenta1650625

For the record it was any app that required connection to the internet. Google Chrome, Facebook, Netflix, etc.I went to a local T-mobile store. They tried replacing the Sim card. I received no call back on my trouble ticket although I was promised one. The customer service reps from outside the US were really no help at all. Having not heard back I called in late Friday. I advised the young lady at that time I wanted no further "apologies" or "I understand" bull being read off the script. I wanted my problem solved. She transferred me to tech support. Luckily for me it was someone who understood English as their first language. Her name was  Rachel and she was very helpful. Again I explained the situation all that I had done. She said the ticket had been closed with no resolution. She then reactivated the 4G on my phone to see if that would work which it did. She couldn't understand why no one had tried that. She said that if it hadn't worked the phone would need service, i.e replacement. Rachel tought for some bizarre reason my phone didn't make the switch over. She left the 4 g on for the last 2 days of my cycle. Today I'm in my new cycle. I hope this solves it because if I have the same issue at the end of the month I will not be happy.

• magenta1650625

Yes 4g is still working with no issues. As to the 2G which was he original problem I won't know about that until I run out of 4G.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta1650625! I know it might not be likely that you've run through your high speed data bucket at this point, but we wanted to check in with you just the same. How is everything going? So far, so good?

- Marissa

• magenta1650625

Yes Marissa, Still working my high speed which is fine. Although I did try to manually switch to 2g about a week ago but that didn't seem to work. All I got was an E with arrows going up and down. instead of the 4 g symbol. Of course switching back worked fine. Not sure if that means anything.

• tmo_marissa

Hmmm. That is strange. I wonder if we could be modernizing in that area? Typically, even in cases where we're turning down spectrum like U1900 in order to implement new high speed service, 2G would still work, though. If this happens again, I think we'd definitely want you to reach out to our Tech team and get a trouble ticket filed so that engineering could take a look into this.

- Marissa