Is there going to be Linux support?

d.a.fox

I see that there's Windows and Mac versions of the PC client, but as someone that uses Linux full time I'd love to see a Linux version of this software.  I'm liking using it on my Android tablet and would love to have it on my computer as well. 

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Is there going to be Linux support?

Hi there d.a.fox !

We appreciate you coming to our site to post your thoughts. We don't have any info saying it'll be available for Linux. We can get this suggestion to our internal folks for you and have them take a look at this. I can't promise it'll be available, but we can at least get the right people to review your feedback. Thanks!

• d.a.fox

Thanks for the response.  Here's hoping that they decide to support it!

• debjitjdv

d.a.fox

I agree with you. But supporting Linux is a little bit tricky because there are so many of them.  You have

1. Debian and Debian derivatives like Ubuntu, MInt
                2. Red Hat and its derivative like Fedora, CentOS, Scientific Linux
                3. OpenSUSE and its derivative.

Each of them has a different package format, different library support and in some case different implementation of OS level stuff. Possibly supporting Fedora or Ubuntu may be a good idea. As a stop gap measure for me who stays with Fedora and CentOS, I am using the WEb client of DIGITS which is pretty decent in Google Chrome. Dont you think that?

• d.a.fox

I get that, but there doesn't need to be support for every version.  Even if just Ubuntu and OpenSUSE were covered that would take care of the majority of Linux users.  Look at Steam took a similar approach when making their Linux client, it's only supported on Ubuntu.  (it does however work on other distributions as well, just isn't officially supported.) 

• debjitjdv

And in case you want to try out DIGITS web app, here is the link:

http://wrc.t-mobile.com/

• d.a.fox

This is what I'm using now.  but generally web apps aren't the best experience. 

• debjitjdv

Yes, I agree it need not be supported for all Linux platforms. Maybe Ubuntu and Fedora are ok but still due to the inherent difference between Ubuntu and Fedora it still might be difficult. Also, another compelling reason may be that number of users for a Linux client for DIGITS would possibly be really less and may not justify the man hours needed to build it. But to be frank, I personally do not find any difference in the experience between the DIGITS app and the Web Browser app. It's more or less same I would say.

• d.a.fox

Well yes, I get all that, I was only wondering because I'd like to see it.  Everyone makes Linux development sound like it's an insurmountable obstacle, And yet even small dev teams are able to create complex powerful cross platform apps that work on all platforms.  I'm not saying it doesn't add a layer of complexity.  Just that often the difficulty of supporting it is vastly overstated.

• debjitjdv

Yeah I agree. Its not difficulty rather its commercial feasibility which may be a concern. I define commercial feasibility as (Total number of active users / Total Man hours spent). In case of Linux this will be small as the numerator will be very small compared to Windows and Mac users. But definitely a Linux client will be welcomed by me as well as I am a hardcore Linux user.

• d.a.fox

Right now Linux is where MacOS was just a couple years ago, And it keeps getting better all the time.  There are very few things at this point I miss from my Windows / Mac days and with the growth Linux is having it'll only get more important in time.