help 'un'confuse me with digits and landline

marklyn59

OK, I've read and watched enough videos to make my eyes bleed but I'm still confused about some things and would really appreciate it if someone could clear up some things for me. Please

I have a landline through TWC/Spectrum that I'd like to "move?" to both my phone and my partners phone, which is one account 2 lines.  Is it possible to eliminate the landline and set it up so the landline number would ring on my phone and my partners phone? The goal would be to not have the landline charge from TWC, but would still be happy to be able to receive/send calls using that landline number on both of our phones.

I'm confused about the promotion. We have Tmobile One, signed up April 28.  Do we each have 1 free digits with the May 31 promotion?

Last question, please tell me if I'm understanding this... I can download the digits app to my android tablets and set it up so that my tmobile phone number and my partners tmobile phone number ring on those tablets, right?

Thanks in advance

All replies

• artart

Re: help 'un'confuse me with digits and landline

marklyn59 wrote:

*1   OK, I've read and watched enough videos to make my eyes bleed but I'm still confused about some things and would really appreciate it if someone could clear up some things for me. Please

*2   have a landline through TWC/Spectrum that I'd like to "move?" to both my phone and my partners phone, which is one account 2 lines. Is it possible to eliminate the landline and set it up so the landline number would ring on my phone and my partners phone? The goal would be to not have the landline charge from TWC, but would still be happy to be able to receive/send calls using that landline number on both of our phones.

*3   I'm confused about the promotion. We have Tmobile One, signed up April 28. Do we each have 1 free digits with the May 31 promotion?

*4   Last question, please tell me if I'm understanding this... I can download the digits app to my android tablets and set it up so that my tmobile phone number and my partners tmobile phone number ring on those tablets, right?

*5  Thanks in advance

Hi marklyn59

*1  I am going to see if I can get the ball rolling for you here.

My eyes are pretty bloodshot at this point also. I have very limited experience with setting up DIGITS but I think I can answer most of your questions. Some of the "DIGIT Masters" will have to chime in to give you some step by step instructions. I, like you seem to be having difficulty locating step by step instructions. For instance one of the benefits of T-Mobile DIGITS is to be able to terminate a land line and have the land line number ring on up to five phones and devices. Great. so I guess one would think there would be step by step instructions of how to do that somewhere.      ( just a suggestion to the hardworking, overworked dedicated  DIGITS team )

*2  I am going to go out on a limb here and assume

that you would be terminating your land line and porting the land line number to either your phone or your partner's phone if either one of you were willing to give up your personal mobile phone number. The land line number may then be used by both you and your partner on each of your phones. One of you in this scenario would have the old land line as a primary personal mobile phone number, and the other would keep the other phone's original number. The land line number which would now be the number on one mobile phone would then be added to the other mobile phone as one of the five lines that could be programmed to ring on that second phone. That would give either partner equal opportunity to answer the original land line number first. Just the way it was done when it was a land line under one roof.   Either partner would be able to make calls out on the old land line number from either of their phones.

*3   Actually each of your current T-Mobile One plan phone numbers

are now called DIGITS.  They aren't phone numbers any more. LOL  So yes your mobile phone numbers are actually free DIGITS.

Because you do have the T-Mobile One plan, for a limited time only, If you upgrade to the One plus plan, which costs $5 /per month per line each you would each  get a second SIM  card to use with a wearable device such as a watch phone.

The second SIM card would allow your individual mobile phone numbers to be duplicated on another device without having to pay for an additional phone line for that device. You could also use that duplicate SIM card in an old flip phone if you wanted to so you could leave your smart phone at home and just use a cheap expendable phone such as might be appropriate for a day at the beach.

Or the smart phone could stay in the car's trunk while the flip phone stays with you in your swimming trunks. If you already have the One Plus plan, then you will receive the extra duplicate SIM  cards for free.

*4  Correct. I already have two mobile phones setup so that

when an outside call is made to either one of them, not only that phone will ring, but so will the other phone. At the same time my tablet and my laptop will also ring until I either "answer" one of the devices or the phone goes to "message".

*5  You are welcome.

Please don't act on what I have shared here yet, because I am doing a little bit of speculation about the best way to handle the land line issue. Let the other members who have participated in the DIGITS  beta development provide their much wiser counsel.

Art

• marklyn59

Thanks Art for taking a stab at this...

Regarding #2, no, we don't want to give up either of our tmobile numbers, we just want to know if it's possible to give up the landline and somehow "port" the landline number over to both of our phones so that way we get to keep our landline number and we get to reduce our TWC/Spectrum bill since that is where our landline number resides.  It's sounding like that is not the case but maybe someone here will be able to clear that up.

• artart

marklyn59 wrote:

Thanks Art for taking a stab at this...

Regarding #2, no, we don't want to give up either of our tmobile numbers, we just want to know if it's possible to give up the landline and somehow "port" the landline number over to both of our phones so that way we get to keep our landline number and we get to reduce our TWC/Spectrum bill since that is where our landline number resides. It's sounding like that is not the case but maybe someone here will be able to clear that up.

marklyn59

I don't see how you can achieve your objective without having a third line added to the plan.

The concept of giving up a family land line and five family members all having the same  number on each of their mobile devices must be the adults get the two real phone lines and the kids get the duplicate SIM lines and don't have individual phone numbers of their own. That would be making use of those two duplicate SIM cards I mentioned. The third "junior line" (duplicate SIM) would cost $10 per month. The whole package would cost $120 per month for the five lines. The three lines with one number shared by the kids wouldn't last very long.  That's for sure. As they say, the is always in the details.

Art

• marklyn59

You lost me.  We wouldn't have 5 lines.  We have two tmobile phones now and we have a regular landline.  What I'm asking is if there is a way to "add" the landline to each of our phones so we no longer have a landline anymore.  My phone would have my tmobile number and the landline number.  My partners phone would have his tmobile number and the landline number.  Possible?

• lemmyslender

During the beta, we could not port numbers in.  There was some discussion about whether that option would be available in the future.  At this point I would guess probably not, but it may be an option in the future.

I believe you could port your landline to a "new" T-Mobile line (a 3rd line on your plan).  Just get a cheap cell phone (or use an old one).  You should then be able to manage this line and activate it for use with the Digits app.  It would then ring on whatever phones/tablets/computers you need.  Obviously this would add an additional monthly cost to your cell bill, but might be less expensive than having that line with TWC.

You may then be able to have that line converted to a Talk n Text Digits line, hopefully as one included free with the $5 add-on.  So, not a straight port, but it might work.