broad

Still no update and still no word on the new software update for the Samsung Galaxy S6! Every other major carrier pushed the update out months ago! Whats the hold up, as the update page still states manufacturer development (like it has now since September 2016)?

All replies

• artart

Re: S6 update anytime soon?

broad wrote:

Still no update and still no word on the new software update for the Samsung Galaxy S6! Every other major carrier pushed the update out months ago! Whats the hold up, as the update page still states manufacturer development (like it has now since September 2016)?

Hi broad

Unfortunately there is no definitive answer to your question.

Certainly Samsung isn't going to publicly release an explanation of what is holding up the release. My best answer is that Samsung is not going to make any more money by prioritizing an update for phones that it is no longer selling. Right now Samsung is obviously devoting most of its resources to fixing issues with the S8 software bugs. Any bad publicity, about failure to update Samsung's current cash cow, could cost Samsung a lot of new sales of the S8. Some people have become weary of Samsung's slow to update history, and have vowed to not buy Samsung phones in the future. That is about the only recourse you have. Wait until the S6 finally is updated to Nougat, and ask yourself if you are willing to wait just as long for updates for the next Samsung phone you buy.

If you have not already done so, you can search for,

"Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge: Android update tracker (updated)"

On the Android Authority S6/S6 Edge update tracking page, it states:

"Update, May 16: The Android Nougat update is now rolling out to unlocked Galaxy S6 devices in The Netherlands. The 1.1 GB update, which was picked up by galaxyclub.nl, is hitting S6s in the region with firmware version G920FXXU5EQE8. The respective Galaxy S6 Edge update hasn’t been seen yet, but it should be arriving soon."

"Meanwhile, unlocked S6/S6 Edge owners in the US are still waiting for the update — as are those with T-Mobile branded devices. We’ll hopefully have more for you on the US roll out soon."

Unlocked S6/S6 Edge owners are still waiting for Nougat.

I predict that they will still be waiting after T-Mobile customers receive their updates. People have purchased unlocked phones in many cases, because they had believed they would receive updates quicker than people who own carrier branded phones. There are a lot of very unhappy unlocked S6 & S6 Edge owners, who swear that they will never buy another Samsung phone.

It is not a T-Mobile issue. It is Samsung who decides who to bless ,  and who to abandon.

Art

• broad

Thank you for your response, However only part I would disagree with is your statement - "It is not a T-Mobile issue. It is Samsung who decides who to bless ,  and who to abandon." So Samsung decides to update the S6 on every other carrier except T-Mobile? It has been updated on Verizon, Sprint, and ATT just not T-Mobile......

• theartiszan

And at&t only got theirs the beginning of the month. Not months ago.

• artart

theartiszan wrote:

And at&t only got theirs the beginning of the month. Not months ago.

Hi theartiszan 

Nice catch.

• broad

Sorry about the extra "S" when typing month.....meant month ago.....

• theartiszan

The manufacturers do all the development on updates and the carrier doesn't do anything other than test it before it gets released. T mobile software also has more things like wifi calling that the other carriers do not have. Because of this it also takes longer. So will really depend on when Samsung starts and delivers the update to them. Manufacturers don't work on the updates at the same time and release to the carriers at different times.

• stevetjr

Just to add to this thread, the other thing you will see is that with each model and each update what carrier is first and which carrier is last change each time.  Now there are some common themes like typically Sprint tends to be first but rumor has it they don't really do any internal testing, they just sign off on it.  Yes T-Mobile while not always tends to be nearer to the last of the 4 because as the theartiszan pointed out there is a lot more programing all of which is at the OS level because T-Mobile has the most advanced network and a lot of "features" like Wi-Fi calling, the GoGo texting, QAM 256, 4x4 MIMO, RCS (Advanced Messaging) and etc.  Now while other carriers have one or some of these features none other than TMO has them all. 

The other thing to take into account is when another similar model gets and update and there are issues, they go back and look at the update they are working on for other "like" models and make sure whatever was broken in one is not in the other.  Take that an issue with the Note 5 update to 7.0 there was a calling issue which required a patch which just came out last week.

Last is that Nougat was a big update, Touchwiz for the most part died and Samsung's new GraceUX is in Nougat so it is a lot of work which is why this update has taken so long, especially for Samsung.  Heck they (Google) have already released the public beta for Oreo (no Google hasn't officially named it but what else could it be LOL).

• opwog

S6: Nougat downloading right now. Wasn't there until after midnight. Also, as far as those generic answers telling users to go to the Update page, that is nonsense. I am downloading it now on an S6 and the S6 currently says that it is in the hands of the Manufacturer (Samsung). Obviously it wasn't, which means that those pages are not updated properly and, in turn, are worthless. So please stop sending people to them.

• artart

opwog wrote:

S6: Nougat downloading right now. Wasn't there until after midnight. Also, as far as those generic answers telling users to go to the Update page, that is nonsense. I am downloading it now on an S6 and the S6 currently says that it is in the hands of the Manufacturer (Samsung). Obviously it wasn't, which means that those pages are not updated properly and, in turn, are worthless. So please stop sending people to them.

Hi opwog

That's great news. Actually just because you are receiving the update doesn't mean that everybody is receiving the update. You do know about the slow staggered roll out of software updates. Only a small proportion of users receive the update at first.

Samsung wants to wait until it finds out if the first batch of updates break any phones, or cause other problems. If an avalanche of complaints don't roll in the first few days, the updates will continue to roll out. Those updates are also staggered over time so that the Samsung servers don't get overloaded or crash.

Thanks for being an early adopter. I especially would appreciate your opinion about how well your phone behaves with Nougat. I have an S6 and don't want to update until I am sure all of the bugs are worked out.

As far as what the T-Mobile documentation states, one of the pages I checked says it is in testing. It is very likely that another could say that the manufacture still is working on it. In any event. Actually the update is sort of still in testing, or more like on a shakedown cruise. You are the Captain and you get to check for leaks. I know you are going to enjoy the adventure.

I don't believe that T-Mobile will update the page to say that the update is available until its available to everybody. That could take a little while. If those of you who download the first round of updates have too many complaints, Samsung will cease the rolling out the updates in order to fix the problems before completing the roll out. I doubt If T-Mobile would promise everybody they could download the update when everyone can't.

Congratulations upon being one of the "chosen few" . I hope you already are experiencing that "New Phone Feeling".

Art