Not booting after update

richmaxx

I got a system update notice on my Note 5 yesterday (5/28) after the install complete the phone rebooted and now get stuck on the T-Mobile screen. I thought I would let it for a while and see if its just taking awhile to boot after the update...but no, it drain a fully charged battery without booting up. I have it back on the charger / cleaned the cache... same results, I really don't wanna do  a factory reset if I can avoid it. Any suggestions?

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Not booting after update

Oh man! It sounds like the phone forgot how to function with the latest update. I think our only option here is going to be a master reset using the hardware keys since you are unable to access the menu options. Depending on how you have been backing up your phone (ie Samsung cloud, google contacts), most of your personal information should be able to be re-downloaded pretty easily.

• artart

richmaxx wrote:

the phone rebooted and now get stuck on the T-Mobile screen.

I really don't wanna do a factory reset if I can avoid it. Any suggestions?

Hi richmaxx

Although a factory reset would solve the problem as tmo_chris said,

Personally, I will try anything to avoid doing a factory reset. Here is a suggestion.

Try the Forced Reboot procedure

The forced reboot procedure used to be my "Hail Mary pass". I would use it when all else failed to remedy a problem. Now I do it before I try anything else whenever things get buggy. The Note 5 doesn't have a removable battery, therefore you can't use the remove and reinsert the battery method to force a reboot.

To force the Note 5 to reboot,

press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power key for 15 seconds.

Then see if the phone will work normally.

It is optional to pray, say "Hail Mary", or cross your fingers, before you try this.

Art

• tmo_marissa

Hey, there! We just wanted to check in and see how things are going with your Note 5. I know you weren't thrilled about completing a reset (I think you're in good company with that hesitance), but were you able to get your phone back up and running?

- Marissa