Please bring call centers back to America

alfer64

For the love of all that's holy, PLEASE T-Mobile, can you move your non-tech customer service call center to America so when we have to contact them, (CSR's) we can actually understand what they are saying and they too can understand what we are saying??   Where are they residing in, India?

I've had to call several times to deal with issues and almost 99% of the time the choppy English speaking rep sounds like a robot who rarely understand what issue I'm having and I end up repeating myself over and over while they stammer to figure things out. Most calls take WAY to long to resolve because neither party can fully understand each other.

I got fed up dealing with one rep because his accents and ability to speak English was so bad I told him I flat our couldn't understand half of what he was saying. At the end of the call after much frustration, he had the nerve to say to me, "Please do me a favor and smile for me"  Really?  Even your store people in town told me how much they hate calling in to get help.

I love talking to tech support and they seem to be proud to announce to callers that they are in a city in the USA. Please, make this happen with the regular call centers as well! !

Thanks

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: Please bring call centers back to America

Most of their call centers are in the US, just follow John Legere on Twitter and/or Facebook and you will see since he regularly flies to them and visits with the employee's.   I have found if you call at "off" hours you are more likely to get the overseas one.  Rather than call you know you can contact them on Facebook and Twitter and frankly T-Force has an awesome record of getting stuff resolved even really complicated problems and problems that the regular 611 couldn't resolve.

Contact Us | T-Mobile Support

• alfer64

I have talked to the 611 operators during mainly normal business hours with just a few exceptions (like say 8pm CST) . Not ONCE have I been able to talk to a person who is fluent in English and doesn't have a nearly impossible to understand accent. Never. Only Tech support has 100% US CSR's that's I've found so far.

It is so frustrating trying to get them to understand why your calling, let alone trying to understand their broken English.

• artart

alfer64 wrote:

I have talked to the 611 operators during mainly normal business hours with just a few exceptions (like say 8pm CST) . Not ONCE have I been able to talk to a person who is fluent in English and doesn't have a nearly impossible to understand accent. Never. Only Tech support has 100% US CSR's that's I've found so far.

It is so frustrating trying to get them to understand why your calling, let alone trying to understand their broken English.

Hi alfer64

So sorry to hear about your difficulties. Over the years, I have had my ups and downs with phone support. Off shore call centers have at times been problematic. Occasionally my issue was resolved but frequently it wasn't.

T-Mobile may or may not radically alter its use of off shore call centers. Until the policy changes I would  file that issue under: "That's just the way it is". or simply "It is what it is". I have learned many years ago to accept the things I cannot change.  Once I am resigned to the fact that something "Is what it is". I do what we all know as "a work around". 

My first step to minimize frustration is the obvious,

which both stevetjr  and smplyunprdctble alluded to.   Don't call during off hours.  You also verified that you rarely call during off hours.

In the past when frustrated by a failure to communicate,

I would politely excuse my self and say I will call back later, Then I would call back 5 minutes later and try again with another rep. I developed a whole series of steps that would get me through to a stateside supervisor if necessary. There is always at least one supervisor on duty 24/7 365 days a year.

It seems that I no longer need to deal with offshore reps,

so long as I call during business hours. I have included an explanation about that below. Yesterday I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered, that when I select "HELP" in the hamburger menu in my T-Mo app, I saw the following message at the top of the page.

"Connect with the team"

"Your Team of Experts is available from 07:00 am- 0900 ET- Monday - Friday:pm. We've got you covered. You can still Contact Customer Care anytime 24/7."

" N***** ,  Team Supervisor ". Following that reassuring announcement are two buttons. "Message Us" "Call US". 

I have copied part of my reply from another thread

about a similar issue to the one you have raised. Please note where I mention that eventually every T-Mo customer is supposed to receive the same personalized service I do. That would mean that in the future, what currently "is what it is", will no longer be what it was.

If one wants to talk to stateside call centers,

the best practice would seem to be to call during normal stateside business hours.

Actually I get the same call center and representatives all the time if I call before 9 PM on non holiday weekdays. They are all in the same building at the same location in city right near where I live.  I even know the names of the supervisors, and can ask to speak to them personally if I have to. I have been told that there is a plan to eventually provide the same personalized service to  ALL  T-Mo customers.

Ironically I seem to gravitate to solving problems using this community before calling phone support. When solving a problem using call centers, it only helps me. When solving problems in the community, it helps a lot more people at the same time.

When I need action to be taken on my individual account, I call phone support. Other information I try to find here. That way phone support is more readily available to help people with individual problems. That is the way I "prioritize" my support needs.

Art

• magenta2766458

I agree completely. Its not about being xenophobi - it’s that they don’t understand, have little to no empathy as far as customer service goes and it takes MULTIPLE tries and I mean MULTIPLE to get someone to take care of an issue. It’s enough to change service providers because it’s a LOT of stress and struggle to get the simplest thing accomplished. I call during 9-5 hours and I have had to call many times and never once I mean NEVER gotten someone who isn’t from an outsourced call center.

I feel you get what you pay for and the reason prices are so low for the customer is because of this.

• smplyunprdctble

So, T-Mobile really does have call centers here in the US -- there's a number of them.  The handful of times I've called T-Mobile customer support (during business hours), I've gotten folks who live here and speak whichever accent of English is in their region.

That said, I also know they have outsourced call centers.  I believe they're in the Philippines, since they require less "accent training" -- not perfect, but I'm sure distinctly better than some of the folks I have to deal with where I work that are based in India.  These are primarily used after hours (I guess why pay a shift differential here in the US when they can hire a handful of folks on their own daytime cycle - especially if the volume is probably significantly less).

Now, all that said, I can tell you that AT&T has a database that calculates Profit/Loss per individual account.  This means they take in how much you pay per month, how much network utilization you use, how much time you spend on the phone with Customer Care, along with I'm sure other factors to decide whether you're profitable or not.  The folks who aren't profitable get bumped down in priority and/or location.  The folks who pay a lot and rarely call are bumped higher.  I don't know if T-Mobile has a similar system, but it "makes sense" if the competition is doing it and there have been complaints in these forums of folks who are constant complainers getting "CSRs that are more difficult to understand."

Now, the "more difficult to understand" is probably a culture thing (I work for a global organization and have to speak with folks in the US, London, Hong Kong, Argentina, Brazil and India, so my ear has tuned to various non-US accents, whereas my sister works for a small town Accounting Firm and has difficulty understanding the accents of my non-American friends sometimes).  I agree there should be better "accent training" (if that's a problem), and definitely should have better infrastructure (the folks I speak to in India have THE WORST phones), but my opinion, having not directly dealt with them, is they're probably not as bad as the people freaking out say.  The times I've called SiriusXM (either to cancel or start up), I know I've gotten folks in India based on the call quality -- but, it's not THAT DIFFICULT to understand them (and, I'm sure SiriusXM has more complaints in their forums about foreign support folks than happen here).

But, I can definitely confirm that there are Call Centers in the US because I know some T-Mobile folk who work in them.

• magenta2766458

I was with ATT and Verizon and always was able to get someone on the phone if necessary and it was never an issue. I never got an outsourced call center. I only have a personal unlimited account. Since I’ve been here it’s been nothing but with the exception of being transferred to upper management because after months and several mistakes an error was never corrected.

• alfer64

So strange how since DAY1 of switching (a little over a week ago) to T-Mobile, I've never once had a true American voiced CSR other than Tech Support. Wonder if it's a regional thing?  Again 99% of my calls were/are done between the hours of 8 and 5pm CST.

• 2015x3

I agree 100% on this. Their responses are delayed and It feels like Im speaking to a ROBOT which is super annoying. BUT hey I guess we all need jobs right?