Will DIGITS eventually work with prepaid accounts?

mapolidori

I recently purchased an LG Watch Sport. I have had an unlimited data prepaid account for years, at a good price, so I don't want to change to a postpaid account. I'd really love to use DIGITS to allow my watch to make calls, text, use data, even if my phone is dead or at home. Does anyone know if this will be possible?

All replies

• tmo_evan

Prepaid customers can use their number on multiple devices via the DIGITS app and web.  The Data with Paired DIGITS isn't going to be available for "true" prepaid accounts since those are single line accounts. Data with Paired DIGITS and DIGITS Talk & Text are for multi-line accounts only since they require having a traditional phone line on your T-Mobile account.

• mosi76

evanmf wrote:

Prepaid customers can use their number on multiple devices via the DIGITS app and web. The Data with Paired DIGITS isn't going to be available for "true" prepaid accounts since those are single line accounts. Data with Paired DIGITS and DIGITS Talk & Text are for multi-line accounts only since they require having a traditional phone line on your T-Mobile account.

Is there any documentation that talks about Data with Paired DIGITS? I have 3 voice lines with 6GB of data each and would like to have a single phone number for all 3 phones while continuing to use the 6GB of data on each line. I want to use the native dialers and messaging apps on the phones and not rely on the DIGITS app. I thought a duplicate SIM would be the best option to accomplish this but I have read that even if you have mult-lines on your account, the duplicate SIMs will be throttled to 2G or 3G speeds.

• tmo_evan

I believe they are going to start rolling out the new documentation on the 31st or sooner.

Data with Paired DIGITS is the new name for what was being called a duplicate SIM during the beta, we hadn't gotten around to final naming when we launched the beta.  There is a big difference between what we rolled out in the beta and what will be available for the 31st for this feature.

During the beta:

- Duplicate Line/SIM would share your number, text and use the high speed tethering bucket of your main line. 

For commercial launch:

- Data with Paired DIGITS is a data rate plan that is made especially for using with DIGITS you already have (e.g. your primary phone).  This rate plan provides 512 kbps speeds with unlimited data and still shares your number for calling and texts. 

• mosi76

evanmf wrote:

I believe they are going to start rolling out the new documentation on the 31st or sooner.

Data with Paired DIGITS is the new name for what was being called a duplicate SIM during the beta, we hadn't gotten around to final naming when we launched the beta. There is a big difference between what we rolled out in the beta and what will be available for the 31st for this feature.

During the beta:

- Duplicate Line/SIM would share your number, text and use the high speed tethering bucket of your main line.

For commercial launch:

- Data with Paired DIGITS is a data rate plan that is made especially for using with DIGITS you already have (e.g. your primary phone). This rate plan provides 512 kbps speeds with unlimited data and still shares your number for calling and texts.

Thank you for the reply and the information. I really want the benefits of a duplicated sim across multiple smartphones so that I can capture calls and especially texts in the phones native apps but throttling the data to 512kbps while paying for 6GB per line is just not worth it to me. I wish there was a way to have the duplicate sim for text and talk but get the data bucket that comes with my additional lines.

• debjitjdv

evanmf  pardon my ignorance. But this big difference between BETA and the Commercial launch is a significant deviation. I understand DIGITS is primarily meant for talk and text but data @ 512 kbps, I am wondering what it will be good for? Even Google Map won't download any data from the server for navigation. So essentially the duplicate SIM card will be the best user candidate in a flip phone. Is not it? If the Data with Paired DIGITS would have used primary line data at full speed, I don't see any problem and it would have given the user a seamless experience. And I remember many members in the community had many issues with the data speed in duplicate SIM and eventually the backend team fixed those issue. In this commercial launch condition, the user will still need to carry two phones if he/she heavily relies on data and all the effort of the backend team goes down the drain. Is not it?

Please suggest if I understand the scenario wrongly.

• mapolidori

I ended up switching to a postpaid account. Initially, when I had it all setup at a retail location, they set it up incorrectly. They set up a standard DIGITS account AND a wearable plan. I had a lot of issues for a few days with how I wanted it to work. I went to a few locations and called customer support a few times. None of them could solve it. Today I called again. I was transferred to DIGITS support. The person on the phone changed my plan to DATA with paired digits account. I waited the two estimated hours for it to switch, restarted the devices, and I haven't had an issue since.

• magenta1643664

I spoke with customer support this moment and it appears that prepaid plans are currently not going to be able to use digits. Apparently this will change soon and in the near future but no date was to when this will happen.

Sigh. I was hoping to use this feature as I have terrible data / cell reception at my workplace. It would be nice to send text and make calls using the web app vs using my phone.

This can't come soon enough for me.

\

• magenta3516256

it seems that the multi device function for prepaid mentioned above does not work either. When trying to turn on/ activate the number it just says provisioning error.