What's unique about T-mobile's network?

magenta1581247

Every other carrier has Android 7.0 released for their Galaxy S6 but according to the software update page, Samsung still hasn't been able to figure out how to get Android 7.0 to work with T-mobile. It's clear that T-mobile's network is not bleeding-edge technology, but will this be an ongoing issue with future releases, if they're able to be supported at all?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

T-Mobile loves to point the finger at the manufacturers when their phones fall behind in the update cycle.  I suspect that the manufacturers want some extra money to bake in T-Mobile's WiFi Calling feature and T-Mobile doesn't want to pay.  But that's just my theory.

• artart

Re: What's unique about T-mobile's network?

magenta1581247 wrote:

Every other carrier has Android 7.0 released for their Galaxy S6 but according to the software update page, Samsung still hasn't been able to figure out how to get Android 7.0 to work with T-mobile. It's clear that T-mobile's network is not bleeding-edge technology, but will this be an ongoing issue with future releases, if they're able to be supported at all?

Hi magenta1581247 I have an S6 and am waiting for the Nougat update also. When the update finally arrives, I will continue to wait before I download it.   I will wait until I am sure there are no glitches that others have discovered after updating. I would rather T-Mo took a little more time than other carriers and provide a stable update. I already .have Nougat on my Galaxy S7 and I don't really see such a big difference anyway.

One of the reasons it has been said, that T-Mo updates takes longer, is because the built in wi-fi calling feature is unique to T-Mobile's service. You can manually do wi-fi calling on other carriers' networks but it is not as seamless as it is on a T-Mobile branded phone.   T-mobile's network actually is bleeding-edge technology .  That might possibly be why it sometimes takes additional time to create an update to accommodate special features no other carrier has.

The S7 that I have happens to be a Verizon branded phone with the Nougat update installed and it works fine on the T-Mo network. Because it is a Verizon branded phone I don't however have Wi-Fi calling. But I do have Nougat.   As for future releases I don't have an answer. It is not up to T-Mobile. It is up to Samsung. I did give you at least one reason why Samsung may drag its feet providing updates for everyone else and still take even longer to provide an update for T-Mobile customers.

We will get Nougat on our S6s eventually. T-Mobile's bleeding edge wi-fi calling  technology will also continue to work.

Art

• magenta1581247

Re: What's unique about T-mobile's network?

Thanks for the explanation. The S6 with Marshmallow & TouchWiz has felt like a slug compared to what I'm "upgrading" from, a Oneplus One running LineageOS 14.1. I'm glad people use and appreciate wifi calling but I rarely use my device as a phone so one man's "feature" is another man's permanent obstacle to timely updates, though Project Fi subscribers enjoy the latest clean android with wifi calling intact.