rsnic

Hi,

I have Samsung S8 and generally very pleased with it; it is quite a tep up from my old S4, which finally went the way of all electrons.

I have enabled PIN Screen lock and have also set up SMART LOCK so that my home us a Trusted Place and my car (which connect via Bluetooth) is a Trusted Device.  This feature works MOST of the time.  Sometimes when I am at home, I will still have to enter my PIN. 

Can anyone offer a recommendation to overcome this inconsistency?

Next I have Trusted Voice enabled by merely tapping on the slide switch next to it.  Having said that and having read the instruction next to this feature, however, I can NOT get Trusted Voice to work.  I know the the phone is trained to my voice as it will respond to the magic phrase, "OK, Google."  Perhaps, I am doing som0mthing incorrectly.

Can anyone offer how to do make this feature work?

Thank you very much

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: S8 Smart Lock  & Trusted Voice

Hmm, that's kinda strange that this features hit and miss. Have you updated to the latest software? Do you have any trusted places that the smart lock does work consistently? I'm also curious as to exactly what happens when you try to set up your Trusted Voice. Please come back and keep us posted on this. Let us know how things are going. Thanks!

• artart

rsnic wrote:

Hi,

I have enabled PIN Screen lock and have also set up SMART LOCK so that my home us a Trusted Place and my car (which connect via Bluetooth) is a Trusted Device. This feature works MOST of the time. Sometimes when I am at home, I will still have to enter my PIN.

Can anyone offer a recommendation to overcome this inconsistency?

Thank you very much

Hi rsnic

It seems that there is a built in security feature,

which requires re-entering a lock pattern or pin after four hours of inactivity.

Here is an excerpt from the Android Central article:

Smart Lock on the Galaxy S8: Everything you need to know

BY DANIEL BADER Saturday, Apr 22, 2017 at 9:00 am EDT

"Smart Lock isn't a perfect fix to your Galaxy S8 biometrics troubles, of course: for security reasons, you're forced to re-enter a lock pattern or PIN after four hours of inactivity; and it doesn't always detect the Bluetooth device, even when it's right next to the phone. I wore a Fitbit Alta HR the entire time I reviewed the Galaxy S8 and only had this happen a couple of times, but it was annoying when it did."

Art

• rsnic

Mike,

I got an over the air update about 10 days ago.  I have other trusted places, but haven't been to them yet so I can't say.

I just wiped phone's cache and will see what that does.

The real enigma is the TRUSTED VOICE feature.  I know the phone recognizes my voice because, when I say, "OK, Google" when screen is unlocked, Google comes on and starts asking what I want.  When the phone is locked, if I say, "OK, Google", the phone vibrates slightly , which seems to tell me that it get my voice, BUT it does NOT unlock; rather sometimes, it just closes the screen down.

I am baffled!??!

• rsnic

Well,  The Wipe Cache has helped a lot!  While it still does behaves a little oddly in either trusted device or trustion location, it is less erratic and the trusted voice works  most of the time now