miket

Saw a news item about this that many users have been beta testing.

T-Mobile Digits service will officially launch on May 31st - TmoNews

All replies

• artart

miket wrote:

Saw a news item about this that many users have been beta testing.

T-Mobile Digits service will officially launch on May 31st - TmoNews

miket asked:

Will this be the place to discuss "DIGITS" when it is released officially on 5/31?

I hope that there is a designated place for discussion. If  not, can you imagine the confusion when folks try to discuss DIGITS launch questions in the beta trouble shooting threads? I have raised this issue in the magenta lounge: DIGITS May 31 Launch. How may we help?

Art

• tmo_marissa

This is a great question, folks. I especially appreciate the feedback provided here and in your longer post, artart! I do know that our Care, Tech and T-Force teams are being trained so they'll be able to assist with DIGITS when it's live, so users with questions will have more resources than just the Support Community and the dedicated DIGITS Tech team who supported the Beta. That said, I can assure you we'll still be here to field questions about DIGITS... whether that's in the existing Discussions space or a fresh post-launch space I'm not certain. Over the holiday weekend we've been a little thin -- I'm going to take this question back and hopefully get you a more detailed answer tomorrow!

- Marissa

• miket

I couldn't partake in the beta because all of our lines (6) are on a business account.  [They should have included some small business types in the beta.] I hope that there will be a DETAILED instruction manual.

• artart

miket wrote:

I hope that there will be a DETAILED instruction manual.

Hi miket

I absolutely agree. - a  very detailed instruction manual.

Here is what I have found so far. It was actually quite simple.

I searched for one word "DIGITS". I then arrived at this page.

Since most of the instructions don't work yet, we have to wait

until after DIGITS launches to see if the instructions are sufficient.

Art

• artart

I thought I was placing a link to the search results page.

It doesn't work that way.

Just search for "DIGITS" for a list of instructions.

Art

• miket

artart wrote:

I thought I was placing a link to the search results page.

It doesn't work that way.

Just search for "DIGITS" for a list of instructions.

Art

Just found out that "DIGITS" is only available for those on the expensive TM One plan.   Those of us on the "old" Simple choice plans can't get it.  With our 6 lines it would be about a 30% increase in cost.   ($500 or $600 more a year.)  We have 2 or 3 Google Voice lines for free.  I'm not complaining - TM needs to give more to those who pay more. 

• artart

miket wrote:

Just found out that "DIGITS" is only available for those on the expensive TM One plan. Those of us on the "old" Simple choice plans can't get it. With our 6 lines it would be about a 30% increase in cost. ($500 or $600 more a year.) We have 2 or 3 Google Voice lines for free. I'm not complaining - TM needs to give more to those who pay more.

Hi miket

Actually the free DIGITS features are quite fantastic.

I also have a "grandmothered" simple choice plan.

All T-Mobile customers can have any (paid line) phone number ring simultaneously on up to five different devices for free. That means in your case, with 6 paid lines, you can have your primary number ring simultaneously on up to four of your other paid lines. You can also have that line ring on laptops and tablets, any combination up to five.

Our cell phones have finally been upgraded to have similar features to those we already had back in the mid 20th century. Back in those days we actually had only one phone line connected to our homes, we had the "modern" convenience of extension phones in the living room, kitchen and bed rooms. An incoming call would ring simultaneously on all extension phones in the house. Once the call was answered on any phone, the ringing ceased on all others.

The main difference between DIGITS "extensions" and landline extension phones; is that using landline extension phones, different members of the household could, pick up an extension and join in a group discussion. Once a call is answered on any DIGITS "extension phone", which could be another phone, tablet, or computer; the connection is completed exclusively between that device and the calling party's phone.

I believe that any device with its own internet connection, can become a DIGITS extension phone for free. That extension phone can even make outgoing calls using any one of up to five different connected lines for free,  much like having an office phone with five different buttons to push for selecting an individual line out. This feature of the DIGITS service seems to be absolutely free.

So why would a person need to pay $10 / month for a duplicate sim card? If one only had a two line plan and he wanted to have an additional "extension" line for one of those numbers, he would be able to use any T-Mo compatible phone that did not currently have service.  Instead of paying up to $40 for an extra line with full service, and data plans, a T-Mo customer could simply use any old deactivated T-Mo phone he had lying around the house. The way I see it is you are ahead of the game if you have 6 phones to play with. You probably won't need any more lines. You can still make the DIGITS system work very well for you.

Hmmm . . .

I guess there probably won't be a specific "the place" to discuss DIGITS. Certainly this is "one place" that we are already discussing DIGITS. Thanks for starting the thread.

I have quite a few ideas about how I might use DIGITS. I have already confirmed that the following setup does work. I have a free phone line I obtained via the recent fee line offer. I only pay a few dollars in taxes and fees. Much less than the $10 that a duplicate sim card / line costs. I don't really need the free additional phone number that came with my free line. I just need the phone active so that I can use the Hot spot / Tethering allowance which matches the 7GB of my two primary phones A total of 14GB tethering turns into a total of 21GB. I had not thought I would ever use the free line for phone calls. Now I can use either phone to make or receive phone calls using my primary phone number.

Art