Group Message delay on iPhone 7plus

beh162

I've been with T-Mobile for about 7 months and I've been consistently having group message delays.  I'm in a chat with 3 iPhone and 1 android.  They all have Verizon and me T-Mobile.  They'll have a conversation and I will get a series of 20 messages sent all at once about 30+ minutes after it was sent by user.  I've seen that they don't have this problem, it's just me.  Is there any fixes to this? 

I've done a hard reset, deleted text messages, no Wifi calling on

Any other help?  This is beyond frustrating and becoming something that won't be worth staying onboard if it continues.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Group Message delay on iPhone 7plus

I totally understand how this can put a damper on your group messages! I am in quite a few group messages myself and would be super bummed if I was getting all these delayed messages. Out of curiosity, do you know if this happens when you are in a group messages with only iOS devices? Also, what kinds of signal strength do you typically get on your phone when you notice that you haven't got any replies in the group message? Are you noticing a delay when you are only texting a single number?

• tmo_marissa

Hey, there! Just wanted to touch base and see if you're still having group message trouble! If so, would you mind taking a peek at the questions tmo_chris asked above? A few more details can help us narrow down the issue! Thanks.

- Marissa

• beh162

It doesn't matter what bars I've had, it can be full strength or 1 bar and it still does it. It seems to be groips that include atleast 1 non iPhone user.  I don't see any delays with single texts, only group

• beh162

Yes I recently restarted the thread fresh again with no messages and still see the issue

• misterroy

I've been having this issue since I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. I have it happen a lot on my iPhone 7+, my wife says it periodically happens on her iPhone 6S+. I am not only getting delayed group texts (not iMessage) but also receiving voicemail notifications 30-60 minutes late. I've gone round and round with support, nobody is able to fix this. I even reloaded iOS 10.3.2, that didn't work either. I was told by T-Mobile support it's an issue with the iPhone 7 and that Apple is supposed to be releasing a fix in Q3 2017. However, since it's also happening on my wife's 6S+, I am not so sure.

Apple will not comment on upcoming software updates.

I am at a loss, considering going back.

• misterroy

Just an update...

I have been using iOS 11 Beta on my iPhone 7 Plus and no more delayed group MMS messages. So, if you are suffering from this, the fix comes soon!

• nbartlet

I'm using IOS 11 and I'm having the same problem. It's actually gotten worse. I am now in 2 separate group chats, each where there is one Android user included causing it not to be an iMessage chat.

Happened yesterday at about 11:30am. I stopped receiving messages from a group of friends. Caused a huge inconvenience. One of the members of the chat finally called me and we realized I was no longer getting messages. All of the messages finally came though at about 10:00pm.

Then this morning, it happened again. We have a group chat going at work. We've had this group going for over a week now, with an android user in the mix. No problems. Until this morning. Our work chat starts at 7am. My boss texted me separately at 7:28am and asked if I was ok, because I wasn't responding to the messages. We both instantly realized it was because of the android user in the group chat. This happened once about 4 months ago. We booted the android user from the group.

This is becoming so unreliable, and causing such huge inconveniences. Yesterday with my friends, we were meeting up somewhere when they all fell silent. I actually turned around and drove back home 20 miles, because I thought they were just being unresponsive. I ended up having to make the drive again after we realized the issue.

This always seems to happen only to me. The other members of the chat, regardless of the type of phone they are one seem to have no problems receiving the their messages.

• tmo_chris

Hey nbartlet

Sorry to hear that you are having group messaging problems It is super strange that this is only happening when there is an android user in the group message. From the sounds of it, something is causing your messages to sit on the network for a period of time before they all flood in. Is this something that happens at the start of a group message or does it happen sometime later? If it is happening later, do you notice if the messages stop coming in when the Android user sends a message to the group for the first time?

• dave123456789

Is there any solution to this yet, the same thing has happend to me for over a year now... I'm using an iPhone 7plus, this evening around 10-11 I received 100+ messages delayed over the last day in my work group. As far as I can tell from research is this only happens on T-Mobile and ATT networks. Some users in my group have androids, some iPhone, all different networks, yet in the only one with this issue. So far, I've done all the conventional fixes with network settings, FaceTime, resets, restores, deleting threads... Etc. nothing stops it from happening again at random times. I can't keep using these fixes, especially since it's a work group and I need to recieve and save the messages. I cant just delete entire threads with information I need. I even upgraded my phone and still have the issue. Its NOT an iPhone issue, apple cant do anything to fix because its with the network, and as I said above, it effects ATT and T-Mobile onlY so far (I haven't come across any other GSM providers with this issue).

The last thing I need to try is a post I read stating the network had an imei issue and the tech from the network rectified it, no further problems. Hopefully when services are open next this will work, otherwise I'm switching carriers, this is too much of a pain to be worth sticking with T-Mobile. Any known and verified fixes other than the standard BS responses would be appreciated.

• nbartlet

Unfortunately this has not been resolved for me. I too am thinking of switching providers.

I spoke with a t-mo support rep who passed my issue on to thier engineers. They were checking to see if the messages were being held up at the tower being passed to the phone and then not being delivered. He called me back later and said the messages were in fact being sent to the phone. He ended up telling me that i more than likely needed a new SIM card and asked me to stop into a t-mo store to pick up a new one for free. Now at this point I was still expecting messages from a group work chat that had not yet been delivered. I thought maybe when this sim was installed that they would come flooding in, but that didn’t happen until 2 days later. longer than it had ever taken before. Therefore, I am not Convinced that this issue is resolved. We have booted the android user in the group and each have a separate message thread with them so as to avoid this problem.

• misterroy

iOS 11 has solved this problem for me. Once I installed the update, no more delayed group text messages. However, I did switch to a T-Mobile iPhone 7 plus and I was having this issue on the phone before the update.

• tmo_chris

dave123456789 & nbartlet

Hey folks! Have you had a chance to update your iPhones to the latest iOS SW? It looks like it fixed the issue that misterroy was having.

• cnr100

I am in the same boat here. This is SUPER frustrating and the standard responses of "have you tried turning it on and off" only irritate me more. This is CLEARLY an ATT and T-Mobile issue. It doesn't matter if an iphone user or android user sends the first message. The network decides on it's own when it wants to just stop receiving messages. I have the most up to date iOS on my phone. I have been a loyal customer with with T-Mobile since the VoiceStream days and for the first time I am considering a switch.

• tmo_chris

We don't want to lose you cnr100 Updating to the latest iOS was suggested as another user reported that it resolved their issue. If you are still having troubles with group messages after updating your OS, this is something that we would need to take a closer look at on the backend. Since this is happening so frequently, if you contact our tech teams, we can get some fresh examples of this happening and get our engineers involved to pinpoint the issue. 

I'm having the same issue.   Group chats with numerous iPhone users and Android users combined..   24 hour delay at times evebn longer.   I think I will have to switch from T-Mobile.   I have contacted support and gone through trobleshooting.   ticket isopened.   Bla blah blah.

• sirhc7

getting the same problem and I’m getting pretty tired of it. If T-Mobile can’t support group messaging across android and iPhone users probably going to have to look for a different provider. I’ve done everything from reset, new SIM card, updating iOS and nothing works and it seems like the support is not able to pin point a problem nor suggest a solution that Is definitely doing to solve the issue for all customers experiencing the problem. Only suggestions I get are the same format of “that’s strange, have you tried ‘x’ because that seemed to have solved it for some customers” that’s not really a satisfactory answer for any customer service. Please update your system or get your dev team to figure out this issue because this has been an on going issue with tmobile since 2015

• tmo_chris

I am very sorry to hear that you have been having to deal with this issue for so long sirhc7. With these types of failures, we really need to get examples to the engineers so that they can pinpoint why the messages are failing on the network. You will need to contact us so that our tech team can get this ticket opened up for you. With the examples, the newer the better. If you are experiencing this problem frequently, I would recommenced that you do 2-3 test messages before calling so that the examples will be easily visible to the engineers.

• dragon1562

Its honestly not a T-mobile thing. Group messaging is wonky and a old standard that doesn't work well even on my AT&T phone. Your best bet for reliability is to use a 3rd party app like Facebook messenger or group me or snapchat. I know its not the fix you wanted but it is a useful solution that will fix the issue for a while.

Also I would try connecting off LTE and see if that makes any differences when messaging. Sorry your having the issues man.

It IS a T-mobile thing.   Only happens on T-Mobile phones.   I have tried switching from wifi to LTE and back.   Booted phone, deleted messages and history.  It's not happening all the time, just enough to cause aggravation.    Only group texts.   Everyone else in the group - iPhones, Androids, Windows, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, StraightTalk, all get the meessages.    But me - iPhone 7 on T-moble - nope.

• tmo_chris

I am glad you were able to get a support ticket opened for this issue. This is definitely the best course of action as our engineers will be able to determine what is causing these delays.

This happened again last night - 01/23/2018 at 6:30 PM CST.   All the messages from one group chat came rolling in.   These messages were 48 hours late.   From iPhones users and Android.   Is there any clue to the cause or even a hint of someone looking into this? 

• tmo_chris

Sorry you are still having this problem. Have you heard anything back on the trouble ticket you had filed of you?

• indie324

I just joined t-mobile January 28, 2018and I'm having the exact same issue that everyone here has described. I have a brand new iPhone 10 with the latest software upgrade. I switched from Verizon to t-mobile and now all of my group texts are messed up -- even NEW group texts! As of now, I've only experienced the issue with groups that have an Android phone user in them. Yesterday 2/25/18 at noon, a coworker was trying to coordinate a meeting. This morning at 10:30am, I received all of the texts regarding the meeting. Nice. I NEVER had this issue with Verizon and I'm seriously thinking of switching back.

Both my husband and I switched, and both of us are having issues with group texts. Sometimes only one of us will receive the group text that we're both on and we're sitting next to each other on the couch! It's not only annoying or an inconvenience, it's messing up our ability to communicate using our brand new $1000+ iPhone 10s. Judging by the string of posts on the t-mobile help forum, this has been going on for years. I'm surprised they're not losing tons of customers over this issue. Maybe folks who've only ever been with t-mobile are used to poor service?

• dragon1562

It is not a matter of poor service. Many people like myself tend to rely on a 3rd party option that is not standard SMS for this reason. SMS is a very old standard that can get pretty wonky at times. You mentioned not having the issue with other Iphone users, that is because you are sending the messages through Apples servers, so not over SMS.

What I would suggest doing is disabling I message to see if that makes any sort of difference and try starting a new chat to see what happens. You could also look into alternative messening services. At my work they use a app called GroupMe which is also popular at my college. I personally like useing Facebook Messenger or Snapchat since everyone seems to already have that.

If you want to use a T-mobile based app try setting up Digits and seeing if that makes any difference with the messages showing up.

• hainguyen202

Woww! I thought it was only my phone is having that problem, because none of my friends are experiencing this but me. I can send text to a group messaging, but never receive responses, I either have to do hard reboot or wait a couple days then 50 messages show up all at once. I'm also using this for my work so I've even missed important group meeting invites or other information between my client and my design team. This is getting very irritating, not to mentioned that my account was hacked and ported out a couple weeks back (lost all information and banking info was compromised). I've been with T-Mobile for over 10 years from same account with my mom and then transfer it to myself, but I've never been so upset with Tmobile recently and the way they resolves things. Technical support says that it happens when you in a group messaging with Android users that's why I don't always receive messages. It makes me laugh so hard to the point I asked him if he owns Android or Iphone because half the people I knows have Androids and other have Iphones, but they never experience it with their carrier, and that I can't tell all my friends to switch to Iphone so I can receive their messages. I'm thinking of switching to Verizon so no more hassles and headaches from T-Mobile, and their wacky technical support.

• dragon1562

The man you spoke to was technically right. Apple does not like to play well when it comes to following standards. In the past there was a huge issue of people not turning off I message before making the switch to a android device so the phone would attempt to still send i messages to the number, rather than a normal text.

Anyway that being said SMS is a old standard of messaging that gets wonky at times. It happens across all the carriers as well not just T-mobile. So if possible I would look into a 3rd party solution or try using T-mobile Digits to rule out the possibility of it being your iphone being weird.

• raulriv

Same issue here and I’m on the latest iOS version. It’s pretty widespread and going on for years. Looking throught google, it appears to effect T-Mobile and att iPhone users and not Verizon for some strange reason.

• dragon1562

The reason it does not effect Verizon as much comes down to them still supporting legacy technologies. AT&T and T-mobile have been re-purposing large chunks of their network for modern needs. In doing so as well they are saving on operational costs and getting overall better performance. Give it time these problems will be seen on Verizon whenever they decided to force the new protocols.

• kwhetstine

Finding this thread was very helpful. I have been chasing Apple around but I am realizing that it is not them.

Same issues: Iphone 7plus user with group message issues. Some days it is only 30 minutes late, other days it is 48 hours late. Then there are times that it isn't a problem at all. This is irritating and I am through with it. I have been a Tmobile customer for over 10 years too.

I've tried everything under the sun (including the IOS11 update) and I thought it was under control. THEN - it started back up again yesterday. I got a random text from the group chat that should have came the day before. Today, I got another random late text from the conversation the day before. This is so frustrating. My wife needs a new phone soon anyway, so a switch may be in the future. These messages are too important to NOT come on time. Hey I also get using a different messenger service too like Facebook, but not everyone wants to do that so that is not an option. How about I use the service I pay for.

• dragon1562

I get how you feel but regardless of the carrier you choose this will always happen on some degree. For example, you could have Verizon and still miss texts that come from AT&T users. Nothing you can do really, its just a flawed legacy system. The fail rate is pretty low with normal SMS but when you start group messaging which uses MMS that is where the problems get in. The issue is that different technologies and different carriers support different quantities when it comes to the max file size that is able to be received and most carriers usually allow for larger files to be sent than can actually be received.

• jben72

So whats the solution? I swear i will be switching , if they can fix this problem. Instead they keep on bsing about it. If you guys cant fix it, atleast admit it.

• magenta5345643

tmo_chris Hey I work in the Meridian Call Center. I have a customer who has 2 users that have iPhones. They both have this issue with group messages being delayed. I see that you have PMed other customers who have commented on this, trying to work on a resolution. I am wondering if you can PM me & we can work together to take care of my customer.

Thank you.

Ashley Keogh

• dave123456789

Yes! I still have this issue off and on, my work groups are smaller than they used to be, and it seems to happen less frequently. It’s still frustrating that I’m missing important work conversations. Has any solution been found? So far, through extensive online research I see that his happens to both T-Mobile and ATT customers. I’m absolutely positive it isn’t my iPhone. I’ve switched phones and received new ones and the problem didn’t disappear, I’ve also been to the apple store several times for each phone and they found zero issues with hardware and software on the iPhones. My wife has the same phone with same updates/software etc and doesn’t have the issues I do and we use the same networks at home.

As a side note, I’ve noticed I have degraded services via data, calls, and text in a verified area from the T-Mobile coverage map. Often my service strength is less than other T-Mobile users with the same phone (I-Phone 7 plus). I’m not wondering if the issues are connected. I’ve screen shot a bunch of stuff over the issues. Again my wife has all the same stuff as me and she has better service in my house than I do half the time. When we go out, I’ll have 4G, or 1-2 bars LTE and she’s full LTE right next to each other.

Lastly, I did read that an IMEI issue has caused these issues for several users and it took connecting to the right technical person to resolve. Something about the data system in T-Mobile (not my T-Mobile account though) not matching the device, which causes delays.

If there’s any information that can resolve this, I’m extremely interested. The amount of frustration and issues has me contemplating switching providers, and I like what T-Mobile offers and would prefer to avoid leaving.

Dave Frederick

Sent from my iPhone

• brenlee38

I've been having the same issue, just occasionally. It happened last night with a delay of 6 hours. I was in my house the whole time. I have an apple 6s.

• tmo_chris

Hey folks! We have an ongoing thread here about this same issue. If you are experiencing this problem, please post to the other thread so we can keep everything in order. I will be locking this thread.

magenta5345643 - Please use GC for ticket escalation processes.

dave123456789 and brenlee38 - I will send each of you a private message to gather some necessary information from you.