Sudden lack of coverage in Harrisburg, PA

unclecross

I've noticed that in the past 2-3 weeks my coverage/reception has become rather poor in the Harrisburg, PA area (specifically in the downtown area, zip code 17102). Is there an issue going on with any of the towers in that area?

Nothing has changed on my end. I'm using the same phone (iPhone 6, with all current OS, carrier, and app updates), going to the same locations, and trying to access the same services. Typically, (for the past year or so) I used to be able to use Youtube and Spotify rather reliably throughout the day. Now I can barely use any kind of audio/video streaming service for more than a few seconds, if that. I'm lucky if I can even refresh my email anymore.

When I leave the area mentioned above my reception seems to be fine. But unfortunately, the majority of my day is spent in the 17102 zip code and my phone has pretty much become useless. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

Thanks

All replies

• artart

Re: Sudden lack of coverage in Harrisburg, PA

unclecross wrote:

I've noticed that in the past 2-3 weeks my coverage/reception has become rather poor in the Harrisburg, PA area (specifically in the downtown area, zip code 17102). Is there an issue going on with any of the towers in that area?

Nothing has changed on my end. I'm using the same phone (iPhone 6, with all current OS, carrier, and app updates), going to the same locations, and trying to access the same services. Typically, (for the past year or so) I used to be able to use Youtube and Spotify rather reliably throughout the day. Now I can barely use any kind of audio/video streaming service for more than a few seconds, if that. I'm lucky if I can even refresh my email anymore.

When I leave the area mentioned above my reception seems to be fine. But unfortunately, the majority of my day is spent in the 17102 zip code and my phone has pretty much become useless. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi unclecross , Talk To Tech !

When issues such as yours develop, I always  dial 611, and ask to talk to tech support. I do not discuss the issue with the 611 rep. If asked  for details, I politely insist on being transferred to tech support. Front line reps might want to discuss your issue and in rare occasions they might actually be able to give you some answers. However tech support can give you a lot more information.  I learn a lot every time I talk to tech.

Art

• artart

unclecross wrote:

I used to be able to use Youtube and Spotify rather reliably throughout the day. Now I can barely use any kind of audio/video streaming service for more than a few seconds, if that. I'm lucky if I can even refresh my email anymore.

Thanks

Just a thought unclecross

Have you exceeded the T-Mobile deprioritization threshold?

Dial #932# on your handset to determine your current data usage. If the amount of " total on-network data" exceeds 32 GB you might see speeds lower in areas where there is network congestion. If you travel to areas with no congestion, your speeds would return to normal.

You might like to read this.

Tech support will confirm wether you are you are being deprioritized or not.

Art

• stevetjr

The only thing that looks like is going on in the market is the Band 12 (low band/extended LTE) upgrade but that really shouldn't affect the other existing band other than generally tower by tower as they upgrade the radio equipment on the specific tower which is not something I would suspect for "weeks" to happen.  As artart mention can check with tech support and put a ticket in or reach to T-Force via FB or Twitter. Contact Us | T-Mobile Support

I can tell you that once Band 12 is active in Harrisburg that will significantly improve indoor coverage and fill in most coverage gaps that can occur between towers.  However, even though TMO had already purchased all that low band spectrum and Samsung had started adding it to their phones Apple for some unknown reason (I have my conspiracy theories lol) while adding 20 LTE Bands to the iPhone 6 left out Band 12 and didn't add it until the 6S a year later, so even when it goes live if not already your device won't be able to take advantage of it.

• tmo_mike_c

Oh no unclecross !

That's not a good surprise at all when your coverage disappears all of a sudden. Have you seen any improvement since you last posted? Having a Service Compliant filed with are Care team is a great idea. Please let us know how things are going. We really wanna make sure you get better service. Thanks.