techguy3184

I'm having a random wired issue. Seems like a possible OS big that needs to be reported to Samsung and I couldn't find a way to do that so figured I would post here.

I've seen this with videos on YouTube and music play apps and on the browsers.

You'll play a video then out of no where the image completely scrambles and becomes fully pixalated and freezes. During the freeze I lose audio too. A few seconds later it plays as if nothing ever happened.

Then every so often it keeps doing this. I've tried everything even using the switch software to reload os from computer. No go. Nothing fixes this problem for all steps I've tried.

Also, I have an issues where the network portion of the phone just goes stupid from time to time...I'll see 4g and wifi on at the same time even though I do not have turbo download feature enabled. Or it'll keep randomly flipping between lte 4g and edge. Over and over again causing an unstable connection. Resetting the network fixes the problem but only temporary before the issues return. And keeps randomly disconnecting wifi.

Hate that I can't remap bixby button or delete bloatware from this phone. Almost like Samsung forces use to use the phone according to them even though the phone is ours.

Also hate the battery saving features that cuts off my streaming when phone is on standby. I have to forcefully use third party apps to force the OS to disable battery savers. Then I can play stuff while the phone is with the screen off. On standby.

S8 has best in class processor. But slow ram compared to other phones. And the os is restrictive which all takes away from from the beauty of this phone.

First I'm wondering if anyone had issues above. And second...I hope I can get TMobiles eye on this post.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Video issues.

Hey there! This is a fairly odd issue indeed. What specific Samsung device are you using and is this something that just recently started or something that has been ongoing since you pulled the phone out of the box? The issue you are having with the network dropping is concerning as a loss in data signal can cause issues with video streaming but it should only pause the video and let you know that it is buffering rather than pixelating and freezing. Do you happen to notice if this issue is only happening when you are in a specific area, specifically an area where there is low coverage?

• techguy3184

Hi Chris,

This device is a brand new s8. The issues have happened since all upgrades

took place. I've tried about every troubleshooting steps with nothing

helping.

It seems to me like it could be a bug that needs to be fixed. And I was

bringing this up to tmo so that your developers could speak with Samsung

for a fix.

• tmo_chris

My goodness! A brand new S8 should not be having these types of problems I have not actually seen any other reports of this specific issue nor do I see this listed as a known bug. Did you happen to be able to take note of when specifically this issue is happening? How many bars of signal does your phone show when the videos freeze up? Does this seem to happen more often in specific locations?

• techguy3184

Nothing with regards to location and signal is always strong. I've even had

this on wifi. And I ha EA gigabit fiber internet.

Tested on wifi on a S7 edge. A Nexus 5x. A Nexus 6. None experience the

same issues on wifi. But this phone does.

Issue happens on streaming and video play back.

Let's say I'm streaming on YouTube suddenly the screen scrambles and

freezes up then let's go like nothing happened some times I lose audio too.

Phone support offered replacement but being that this fun is literally

brand new I didn't want to jump to another replacement s8 unless it was

brand new.

I tired of buying brand new phones just to end up with replacements and

half of the time the problem ends up being software related.

S8 is a great phone hardware wise. Very responsive with sweet nice looks.

Software wise it lacks.

New touchwiz is restrictive. Forcing us to use the phone according to

Samsung even though we own the phone.

Can't get rid of the Samsung apps nor shut them down. Overall bad

experience.

Then you add the video issues and a few other bugs and now you have an

amazing phone with crap installed on it. Same applies with other

manufactors unless you go pixel or Nexus phones.

But that's getting off topic.

The video issue is random and has a mind of its own. But when it does

happen it's annoying.

I hope this helps and again I really hope that tmo engineers work with

Samsung to squash bugs and improve experience.

Will wait a reply.

• tmo_chris

Thanks for clarifying! Typically with software specific bugs, we will see a large amount of reports coming in about it. Many of my coworkers have the S8 as well as many users in this community and this is the first I have seen of this specific issue. I did a bit of Google searching as well as was unable to turn up anything that was similar to your issue. I did however find that when Samsung released the S7, they added a feature called "Video Enhancer" and I am wondering if toggling this setting has any impact on the video quality on your S8.

To turn on or off Video enhancer, you can follow these steps.

Go to "Settings"

Tap on "Advanced features"

Scroll down and select "Video enhancer"

If it is off, try turning it on and seeing if the problem persists and vice versa if it is currently on.

• techguy3184

I'm starting to think this might be a lemon device I was given.

Here is my thought behind this.

First video issues that get rather more frequent as the days go by.

If I use nfc, Bluetooth, wifi, and carrier  radios all together and really

push the radio infrastructure of this phone it freeze and shuts down all

communication on the phone. Sometimes to the point it freezes the entire

phone heats up than shuts down and reboots. Such behavour is usually of

defeatctive components.

I've used a wide array of benchmark testing apps just to compare against

the same s8 that I have. I used the reputable benchmarks that have

validated drevice to accurately test against and tests consistently comes

in lower than other TMobile varients of the s8's out there. Again typical

of something not working right internally.

I have noticed a high consumption of battery. To test this I did a hard

reset through the recovery menu then launched the phone in safe mode using

instructions from the net. This way the phone is completely clean as it was

when it was shipped from Samsung. Left the phone alone. 9am 92% battery and

at 10pm it was dead. Showing me a the little icon to charge the phone.

Repeated the test this time really disabling everything the phone allowed

me to disable. 9am 95 percent. 10pm 2percent. So it slowed it a tiny bit

but still something in the background keeps using the battery cycles. Or my

phone just has a faulty battery which scares me knowing the reputation with

Samsung and bad batteries.

Then I noticed Bluetooth issues. For such a strong phone Bluetooth is

supposed to have decent distance. I had a line of sight connection to a

mega boom Bluetooth speaker. I simply place my hand between the phone and

device and the speaker started stuttering and eventually the Bluetooth on

the phone failed turned off and wouldn't turn on for a long time.

I did try turning the enhancer on and off. But either way it showed the

same results.

I can't believe it that I was the lucky on to get the lemon device.

So far with TMobile I've had a LG F5 that had burn in within a year and

just kept getting worst. Got a replacement and ended up with the same

issue. So I switched to a s7 edge. The first edge upon power up heated up

to the point of nearly burning my hand. No smoke or buldging but very very

hot. And it was Stuck on the TMobile loading screen. So I held the power

button for a long time and it rebooted and second time loaded fine. But

already I was skeptical.

Through the first year of use I've noticed the need to reboot the device

kept increasing. The resets where getting more freuqent and the device just

kept getting unstable. So I replaced it. Got a like new replacement. And

that one had a few quirks but for the most part worked ok.

And now I got a lemon s8.

When I had purchased my Nexus 6 from TMobile long ago I never had a single

issue with that phone and still have it today in perfect working order.

When I ordered my Nexus 5x from Google and hooked it up with an account

from TMobile it too never once gave me any issues. My LG tablet never gave

me any issues either.

I just can't understand why is it my luck that I keep ending up with bad

devices. Almost makes me want to change providers just to see if there

version of the phone is any better.

I want to be like the other users in this community, happy and enjoying

thier "Working" s8 phone.

Let me know if you have any recommendation thanks.

• tmo_chris

I really appreciate your detailed response. It does indeed sound like you have a faulty device I would be very sad if you chose to cancel your service over this issue! We want you to have a working device that you love as that is what you paid for. I would strongly recommend taking advantage of the warranty replacement that we offer so that you can get back to enjoying your phone. We honor the 1 year manufacturer warranty that Samsung provides and we will send you out the replacement first (if you have a postpaid account) so that the downtime between phones is minimized.

• rbryinc

Interesting, sounds like there might be some conflict somewhere.  I have the S8+ and have no video issues at all