magenta1495890

Does anyone know of a way to get your ping lower or overall better service when getting internet through Hot Spotting or Tethering 

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: Gaming on a PC using Hot Spotting

It really depends more on the area you are than anything.  What kind of ping are you getting and with what game?

• tmo_amanda

Hey, magenta1495890!

Full disclosure here: I'm no gamer, however, I do know a thing or two about troubleshooting.

• What type of device are you using?
          • Do you notice a higher ping with other games or just the one you listed?
          • What are your upload and download speeds?
          • tmo_chris

Sure, sure... blame it on the ping lol. Out of curiosity, have you tried "getting gud?" I kid, I kid. I am also an avid gamer and the ping overlords have smote me on many occasions. Truth be told, mobile hotspot/tethering is not going to provide you with the best gaming experience as there are so many variables not only with the game servers but with the actual T-Mobile signal you are getting. The best thing you can do to ensure you have the lowest ping is ensuring that your hotspot or tethered device has the best possible signal it can get.

In a pinch I have used my phone as a mobile hotspot after my home ISP decided to take a nap in my 5th promo game of League and it held up pretty well. Games like KOTK, PUBG, or even the OG Arma III mod BattleRoyal are going to play havoc with your connection as there are up to 100 people on the same server sending you all the little details they’re doing and relaying back what you are doing. In League, its only gotta worry about 10 people so it's not as taxing. One thing I can recommend is killing anything else on your PC that is using bandwidth when you are hotspoting for gaming. Kill the Skype call, pause your Steam downloads, close any browsers you have open. Doing these little things might just help stabilize your ping for long enough to get that Chicken Dinner. 

GG - Chris

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going? Funny story... the ping overlords rekt me last night in a game of PUBG but in a good way haha. I was the last one left in my squad and was just going YOLO, checked a house where my buddies were gunned down and lagged out when I went around the corner. Apparently, the guy that was in the house came outside and stood 5 feet from me and blasted me with a double barrel and I didn't die. Went back into the house and unloaded a full clip from my UMP and took em both out haha. So, moral of the story, ping makes it hard to play but can work in your favor sometimes haha.

I have a clip of it if you are interested haha. Let me know and I can send it to you in a PM.