Branched to a new discussion.

No service

magenta1487400

I have never had this problem but I am seeing a "no service" indication and I am in the suburbs of Philadelphia.  What's going on?  I have turnned my phone on and off several times.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: No service

Try doing a manual signal search on your phone to see if it reports any other carriers (e.g. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc) If you see other signals but not T-Mobile, then there's probably some problem with the cell sites around you. If you don't see any carriers, something is probably wrong with your phone. If you see but can't connect to a T-Mobile signal, something may be wrong with your account.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Ouch, magenta1487400! I'm sorry to read we left you hanging with no signal -- are you still having trouble connecting? I'm hoping that this was a temporary outage (never fun, but we do our best to resolve them quickly)... but if you still don't have signal, please let us know! drnewcomb2 had some great suggestions for how to determine whether the issue is outage based or provisioning based when you're not able to give us a call to find out. Is everything working out better now?

- Marissa

• d.puzonjr

I'm having the same issue , for the past 3 weeks I do not get service at my work , and I've been here for 4 years with no issues , then boom , one day nada 

Iam in southern Indiana , any reasons for this ?

• drnewcomb2

What phone do you use?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • d.puzonjr

Motorola Moto g3 , have had it for over a year with no problems, the lack

of coverage started about 3 weeks ago

• drnewcomb2

There are several different models of the G3.  One of these, XT1548, is fully compatible with T-Mobile. The others are partially compatible. T-Mobile has been "optimizing" their network, moving services around to increase LTE capacity. Some people with older and non-T-Mobile devices have found their service disrupted as a result. Do you know which model of the G3 you have?

• d.puzonjr

not off the top of my head , it just started a few weeks ago , but it has

affected others besides myself , so Idk if its the phones , never had an

issue before

• drnewcomb2

There have recently been a lot of people who "never had an issue before" who suddenly found themselves having all sorts of issues, primarily because their phones lacked both VoLTE and UMTS 1700 (band-4), after T-Mobile reorganized the bands in their markets to maximize the use of LTE. Does your data work OK?

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Were you able to get signal again on your phone?

Multiple people in my nothern Virginia neighborhood (20112)  are having frequent problems with service.  It is definitely not our phones, as we all have different phones.  Two of us went to the store and had new sim cards installed, no change.  We continuously get  "No Signal Found for mobile netowrks" or something like "you are not registered on the network."  We go through hours each day during which we  cannot call our using either wifi (odd!) or cell service.  The coverage map of our area shows continuous coverage in this zip code, and we've not had trouble for the past few years--until a couple of months ago.

• drnewcomb2

7039426321 wrote:

Multiple people in my nothern Virginia neighborhood (20112) are having frequent problems with service. It is definitely not our phones, as we all have different phones. Two of us went to the store and had new sim cards installed, no change. ......--until a couple of months ago.

Replacing the SIMs is a placebo; something that makes the customer feel like you are doing something, so they will shut up and go away. Many CSRs believe that they are actually doing something, so everyone feels good. When I look at the coverage maps of the area on RootMetrics, I do see some areas of weak service, so your complaint looks legit.

What can cause the sort of decrease in service you have seen is when new towers are installed and large cells are split into several smaller ones operating at lower power. There's a constant trade-off between power and signal quality and T-Mobile leans strongly on the side of keeping power levels at the minimum needed to do the job. Sometimes they undershoot. You should file a service complaint for each location that has problems. Be as specific as possible and don't let them dust you off with a new SIM. Make sure you get the ticket number. Don't expect teams of engineers to arrive by parachute and come knocking on your door.

Also, you should not tack a separate issue onto an existing forum thread, particularly after it's been marked "answered" as the T-Mobile employees consider anything after that point to be just idle chatter.

Also #2. That area needs someone to map it on CellMapper.net. If someone with an Android phone could download the CellMapper app and run it during their daily errands, it could help those of us who don't have access to T-Mobile internal engineering databases.