magenta1484059

I gave my friend my ATT Samsung S7 Edge. I first had it unlocked.  We then took it to the store, and they activated it with a SIM.  She could make phone calls, text, and use her home Wi-Fi, but she discovered she cannot connect to the internet outside her home. We took to the store, and they put the SIM in another phone, and it worked.  Store employees  called tech support and could not get it to work. I called tech support, and they had me manually put in Access Point Names (erc.tmoble.com and fast.t-mobile.com).  Neither worked--although we did get a 4G symbol.  I will add the phone has the latest ATT version of Nougat.  It has been over 2 weeks, and she still cannot use mobile data, and no one seems to know why!!! I suggested she leave T-Mobile, but she likes it. Anyone have any suggestions.

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Hmm, that's definitely strange. Just to confirm, the device is totally unlocked, correct?

Is she able to make calls and text while not on WiFi, or is it only an issue with data?

-Lauren

• stevetjr

It is known that on some devices AT&T and Verizon do something with the APN which causes this issue.  Rather than edit the existing APN, Samsung allows you to add a second APN then you can make that the active one, give that a try.

• tmo_chris

Hey there! Has your friend had any luck getting data back on here phone?

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Let us know if we can be of any help.

• mrdavis94

I have a brand new AT&T S7 Edge - recently unlocked with a T-Mobile SIM.  Everything was working fine until the May 1st Nougat update was installed.  Now I have the same problem described above.  I've isolated it to the May 1st update, because I've manually installed Nougat and then one by one the updates started coming in.  It worked up thru the April 2017 update.  Once May 2017 was installed, the 4G LTE icon is displayed, however there is no data connection.

Searching for Network Operators (Manual) never stops spinning.  Searching for Network Operators (Automatic) connects me to some oddball network (displayed by a number in the top left-hand corner - 33403) and no data.

Finally, going into AIRPLANE MODE and coming out of AIRPLANE MODE magically data starts working.  Reboot - and it's busted again.

It's June 2 - I hope there's an update that fixes this odd behavior.

• mrdavis94

I did a full master reset - used Odin to write a clean copy of 7.0.  I re-added all my apps and settings.  Then did "CHECK FOR UPDATES" and it went thru the various Security Releases.  Everything was fine until the May 2017 release.

The only thing I can do to get mobile data after a reboot currently, is go into AIRPLANE MODE and then come back out.

Searching for Network Providers (after selecting Automatic or Default) takes forever and never really works.  If I am lucky enough to get a list of providers, they are numbers and not the names.  It's just all around odd... and since I do go in and out of different coverage areas (countries) often, it's made me really dislike the phone.  I am hesitant to blame T-Mobile since I saw it break with software updates.  My girlfriend has the same phone and it has not upgraded yet - and I've told her to just decline any updates until my issues go away or we get our Note 8s in the fall!

Another annoying peculiarity with me is that I prefer AT&T unlocked phones.  I don't know why I avoid T-Mobile phones.  If I could get over that, I'd probably not have any issues! hahaha

• stevetjr

Re: ATT Samsung S7 Edge mobile data not working

mrdavis94 wrote:

Another annoying peculiarity with me is that I prefer AT&T unlocked phones. I don't know why I avoid T-Mobile phones. If I could get over that, I'd probably not have any issues! hahaha

Especially since the T-Mobile phones have the most advanced firmware especially regarding the radio enabled.  With the S8/S8+ they worked with Samsung to make sure all the advanced features they have employed on their network are incorporated into the radio to maximize potential speed.  Of course TMO phones used to be fairly "unique" with regards to radio bands especially prior to LTE but they have gone from probably the weakest technology network to the most advanced.

• tmo_lauren

Unfortunately I have to sort of agree it would be less likely to happen with a T-Mobile phone.

As big of a supporter of BYOD as I am, there is less of a chance for hiccups using our devices.

I am keeping an eye out for other situations such as yours in the event someone has a homebrewed resolution beyond what has already been suggested. Sorry it's a lame experience at the moment.

-Lauren

• mrdavis94

Wow... that's interesting.  I didn't know that about the radios.  That certainly helps.  T-Mobile has just been (to me) that cheap/budget carrier that can't even compete with Verizon/AT&T - in the realms of Sprint.  Since I've been a customer (about 2 years) I've really been impressed.  Coverage (International free data & txt), speed (Incredible speeds), price (I had all 5 of my kids, wife, mother & father-in-law on one account and it was CHEAP). So, yeah my opinion is changing.

Thanks for the feedback.

• stevetjr

Your characterization was actually somewhat correct a little over 4 years ago but even with that have been with TMO for going on 15 years.  But if you google John Legere who is the CEO, he has not only transformed T-Mobile but the entire industry and forced the big 2 to follow rather than lead.  :-)

As for the radio's some models between the carriers may actually have the same radios but even then that doesn't mean they have the firmware to make all the bands work as some carriers may not want them all for roaming agreement reasons or what ever but they are notorious for hiding things or menus settings for features they don't want you to know exist, like a prime example is download boost on Samsung phones where if you are on wi-fi the phone will aggregate and use wi-fi and cell combined to download large files even faster.  When they launched it, TMO was the only one who didn't hide that setting as the others were afraid that it would just strain their networks to much.  Now some are different radios like the iPhone 7 where the Sprint/VZW version have a Qualcomm radio but the TMO/AT&T have an Intel version.  This caused a ruckus because the Intel radio is slower (and inferior) than the Qualcomm and rumor has it that Apple slowed the Qualcomm one down to keep the phones close in capability.

• mrdavis94

Thanks you guys for all the info.  T-Mobile will start getting my hardware money now... hahaha.  Honestly, I did like one thing (pre-Legere) and it was that they carried the Google Nexus phones in the store.  Anyway - I've forgiven T-Mobile for their short-comings and my stero-types... onward and upward! hahaha