LG Stylo 2 Nougat Update Problem

wraith2044

So I checked update status yesterday, was notified of the Nougat update, started to download (all 1.1GB+ of it), was instructed to reboot and did. Phone rebooted twice, but too quickly and without the expected Android logo with atomic ball swirling in its chest. Nougat was not applied. After reboot software version still shows K55010r and Android version is still 6.0.1.

Now when I check update status, it says my phone is up to date! WTF?!?

How do I get the phone to trigger the update again?

All replies

• artart

Re: LG Stylo 2 Nougat Update Problem

wraith2044 wrote:

Hi wraith2044

Does your phone have the option to turn off auto updates?

Is there an option to search manually?

Don't know if it will work. That's what I would try next.

Also clearing the cache might be worth a try.

Art

• wraith2044

artart, thanks for the reply. I have already cleared cache. Don't know of a way to turn off auto updates for system updates. If you've got some secret-squirrel method to search manually. I'd love to hear it.

Below is the only screen I have access to for system updates (Settings > About Phone > Update Center > System Updates).

Capture+_2017-05-17-12-53-10.png

• artart

wraith2044 wrote:

artart, thanks for the reply. I have already cleared cache. Don't know of a way to turn off auto updates for system updates. If you've got some secret-squirrel method to search manually. I'd love to hear it.

wraith2044

I am able to turn off auto update software (firmware) on the Galaxy s6. I just use the manual check and download option. I don't know much about how the LG works. I have been reading what I could about your phone but I couldn't see any way to set up or disable an automatic update option. I guess check for update option in your screen shot is all there is.

Art

• artart

wraith2044 wrote:

Below is the only screen I have access to for system updates (Settings > About Phone > Update Center > System Updates).

wraith2044

I was looking at the path that led to "System Updates"

and the screen shot exhibiting the option "Check For Update".

It seems to be a somewhat different path than the one I found.

Could it be different versions of operating system ?

Could it be different because the carrier is different?

Check for software updates on your LG Stylo 2

Steps to check for software updates on your LG Stylo 2

1. From the home screen, scroll to and tap the Tools folder.
                  2. Tap Settings.
                  3. In the General tab, scroll to and tap System updates.
                  4. Tap Update LG software.
                  5. Tap CHECK FOR UPDATE.

Were the above steps the same you used to arrive at the option  "Check For Update"?

Art

• artart

wraith2044 wrote:

So I checked update status yesterday, was notified of the Nougat update, started to download (all 1.1GB+ of it), was instructed to reboot and did. Phone rebooted twice, but too quickly and without the expected Android logo with atomic ball swirling in its chest. Nougat was not applied. After reboot software version still shows K55010r and Android version is still 6.0.1.

Now when I check update status, it says my phone is up to date! WTF?!?

wraith2044

I tried doing some web searching for a remedy for your issue.

There have been similar problems in the past with updates to Nougat. Some people mention receiving a 7.0 update but it was a only a small file which turned out to be some kind of security patch that had to precede the actual Nougat update. The actual Nougat update followed later. Others reported that the actual full Nougat update failed similar to your situation. In at least one case the Nougat update seemed to eventually, automatically reinstall by itself. If the update fiasco happened within the last 24 hrs, maybe after waiting a day or two, the update might automatically reinstall properly. In any event here is the search criteria I used. "android nougat update failed, will not update again".

I would therefor suggest:

1. Turn off auto update if possible, and "search manually to see if an update is available".

2. Clear the cache both before and after performing step #1.

3. Wait a day or so to see if the update reinstalls on its own.

4. Wait for more solutions from other members of our community.

Art

• wraith2044

@artart, thanks for bird-dogging this for me. I finally got it solved, but it was a bit of a dart game.

In the end, I think what worked was either deleting cache for all the LG apps and/or navigating to the storage and deleting a folder under Android > Data called com.lge.update.something. (I only deleted that folder after resolving to factory restore the phone if needs be. Thankfully it didn't come to that.)

After doing those things, I went to System Updates and the update told me it was available. Clicked install and 40 minutes later I have Nougat. Couldn't be happier.

Thanks again for your help.