magenta1459386

Trying to switch from AT&T to T Mobile One.  Paying for iphone 7 up front and willing to sign up for auto pay.  No brainer, right?  Not really...turns out I had my TransUnion credit report frozen and, when I decided to sign up, they wouldn't go forward without a checking credit.

So I had my TU credit report unfrozen for 3 days (today thru 5/18) and called TMo back...their credit department in Guatemala keeps telling me (after I was finally able to understand them) they need 72 hours before they can get report from TU if it had been frozen????

Account rep says I can get One for $75 without credit check if I put up $75 deposit.  No diff if I OK auto pay.  I'm not going to go for that - would probably give up and sign up for VZ if the TMo deal was so good.

Has anyone else had similar problem?  Why do they need credit report if I'm paying upfront for phone and using auto pay?

Thanks,

Joe

All replies

• artart

magenta1459386 wrote:

Trying to switch from AT&T to T Mobile One. Paying for iphone 7 up front and willing to sign up for auto pay.

No brainer, right? Not really...,  they wouldn't go forward without a checking credit.

Account rep says I can get One for $75 without credit check if I put up $75 deposit. No diff if I OK auto pay.

I'm not going to go for that - would probably give up and sign up for VZ if the TMo deal was so good.

Has anyone else had similar problem? Why do they need credit report if I'm paying upfront for phone and using auto pay?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi magenta1459386 (Joe)

No matter how much you pay for the phone up front, that only pays for the phone. If you receive monthly postpaid service, T-Mobile needs to verify that you have a good credit history, because T-Mo is providing you service for a month before trusting you to pay for that service after being billed. It is similar to purchasing an electric appliance, and having to pay a deposit to turn on the electricity in order to use it. One wouldn't need to pay a deposit if the utility could verify your good credit history. It does not mean anything that you paid in full for an appliance.  Even if you use auto pay, that is no guarantee that the funds would be available in your account when debited by an electric utility or T-Mo. I doubt VZ would extend you credit without a credit check either. Frankly $75 sounds like a reasonable deposit.

I understand that you may feel insulted. Your point of view might well be that you could afford to pay so much up front for a phone; why ccouldn't T-Mobile believe you will have enough funds in your account, when it is time to auto debit the bill?  You are savvy enough to have your credit report frozen, so I am sure you know a lot about how credit bureaus work. The amount a person might be able to spend up front, doesn't necessarily have a correlation with how a person manages his finances. Access to your credit report, bill paying history, and credit score is how T-Mobile can verify you manage your bills responsibly.  Frankly many people with bad credit freeze their credit reports as part of a credit rebuilding processes. Not being able or willing to unfreeze a credit report when applying for credit could raise a red flag for a potential creditor. You were aware when you froze your credit report that you would have to unfreeze it, if you were  to apply for credit, weren't you? Can you see how T-Mobile is actually providing you a line of credit since it is not requiring you to pay before you use the service?

Art

• magenta1459386

Trying to communicate with TMo's credit people in Guatemala is impossible.  I had unlocked my credit for 3 days after the first call.  After 5 calls, I finally realized that a credit unfreeze on Transunion for a period of time wasn't something they could deal with, so I got an access number from TU for them and, voila, it was approved immediately.

Too much time wasted - don't mind giving them access to credit info if they could have explained what they needed to get into the account in the beginning instead of just telling me I had to wait 72 hours.

The local TMo office was also very helpful instead of dealing with the 800 number.

Art, thanks for the sermon, but I had an easier time refinancing my mortgage.  Hope the TMo service is worth it.

Joe

• artart

magenta1459386 wrote:

Trying to communicate with TMo's credit people in Guatemala is impossible. I had unlocked my credit for 3 days after the first call. After 5 calls, I finally realized that a credit unfreeze on Transunion for a period of time wasn't something they could deal with, so I got an access number from TU for them and, voila, it was approved immediately.

Too much time wasted - don't mind giving them access to credit info if they could have explained what they needed to get into the account in the beginning instead of just telling me I had to wait 72 hours.

The local TMo office was also very helpful instead of dealing with the 800 number.

Art, thanks for the sermon, but I had an easier time refinancing my mortgage. Hope the TMo service is worth it.

Joe

Hi magenta1459386 Joe

I am sorry that I somehow offended you. I had no  intention of doing so. I was not trying to preach. I was not in any way trying to be unkind. I have been reviewing my reply to see if there was a better way I could have answered your question. Perhaps you could help me understand why you thought I was giving you a sermon? That way I will be able to avoid offending others in the future.

I will try to explain why I used the words I did. I actually do try to use my words carefully. I do try to avoid the possibility of people taking my words the wrong way. That often leads me to lengthy explanations that sound like sermons.

You had asked a question

"Why do they need a credit report if I'm paying upfront for phone and using auto pay?"

I could have answered simply, "because you are applying for a line of credit."

I would never answer a question short and to the point like that, since some people could misinterpret my reply as sarcastic or condescending. Now my dilemma becomes, how do I answer the question without you taking my answer in the wrong way? I really really was only trying to answer your question. In an attempt to avoid  misunderstanding what I say, I have a tendency to use more words than others may find necessary. You said "thanks for the sermon" I am sorry that I offended you. At this point I would normally take two or three paragraphs to explain why I said what I did. Unfortunately you might think I am giving you another sermon. So I won't do it. I will simply state  I meant you no harm or insult. Could you please take a few moments and reread my remarks and try to understand the situation from my point of view.

I was hoping to avoid any misunderstanding by taking the time to preface my explanation, by assuring you that I was considering your point of view, and why you asked the question you did. That was why I had said; " I understand that you may feel insulted. Your point of view might well be that. . . . "

Now after I reread my post a few times more, seeking to make it briefer, I probably should have left the part about "red flag" out.  It wasn't really necessary. I apologize for adding thatI tidbit. I hope I can do a better job in the future.

I think you were addressing me  when you said " Hope the TMo service is worth it."

In any event I will answer that question (from my point of view). in a separate reply. I am guessing that if you were addressing that remark to me, you might think I am a T-Mobile employee. I am not an employee. Just like most members in this forum, I am a customer who is simply here to try to help others. In your case I was only to answer a question. There are some T-Mobile employees here and I am sure one of them will be greating you shortly to follow up to make sure all of your issues have been solved.

Art

• artart

artart wrote:

I am not an employee. Just like most members in this forum, I am a customer who is simply here to try to help others. In your case I was only to answer a question. There are some T-Mobile employees here and I am sure one of them will be greating you shortly to follow up to make sure all of your issues have been solved.

Art

Correction

artart meant to write:

I am not an employee. Just like most members in this forum, I am a customer who is simply here to try to help others. In your case I was only trying to answer a question. There are some T-Mobile employees here and I am sure one of them will be greeting you shortly to follow up and make sure all of your issues have been solved.

Art

• magenta1459386

Art,

You didn't offend me - thanks for trying to help. Just frustrated with TMo's credit dept and the difficulty of communications with them.  Hopefully this will save others with the same problem some headaches.

If you have blocked your credit on TransUnion and are trying to get service with TMo, don't unfreeze your TU credit for a length of time, choose the option to get an access code.  That is the code TMo's looking for - it just took 5 calls to them to understand that.

I've refinanced my mortgage and gotten new Dish Network service by just unfreezing my credit report for a few days, but TMo doesn't do it that way.

I don't understand why companies move their call centers offshore - more times than not the difficulty of understanding them and resulting business loss more than offsets the cost savings.  Seems as if some are now learning that and are moving them back, but not enough.

Keep up the good work, Art.

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • artart

magenta1459386 wrote:

Hope the TMo service is worth it.

Joe

Is it really worth switching to T-Mobila?

magenta1459386

Absolutely YES!

First let me say Hi Joe, welcome to the forum.

Second let me say I believe that you will be glad

in the future that you have found the forum.

I am a relatively new member in this forum,

but I have been a T-Mobile customer for a very long time.  Let me assure you that TMo service is absolutely most definitely "worth it". I will also sadly say that because T-Mobile service is so worthwhile it is experiencing very rapid growth pains.  That is a whole lot worse than simple "growing pains". Adding 1.1 million customers in Q1 2017 alone is a lot of growth and unfortunately some pain. I can't begin to imagine the problems T-Mobile faces while rapidly expanding its customer support services to accommodate so many new customers while simultaneously continuing to provide support to its existing customers.

Be assured that you might have some problems at times but T-Mobile will always address those problems. Your unfortunate initial bad experience might actually be a blessing in disguise. You now know where to turn for help and advice if you can't get an issue resolved using phone support. Although you have solved your problem with out any help from anybody here, you can always come back seeking answers to questions or help solving problems you might be facing. You could also just stop by and update us with your opinions of how your T-Mobile experience compares to that of your former carrier.  

Since from time to time you might have need to contact phone support please allow me to me take this opportunity to share with you what I have learned to do, which is what I would call my basic problem resolution strategy.

Over a long period of time T-Mobile employees from all over the world on ocasion had tried to remedy problems for me. Unfortunately, some of those efforts by those enthusiastic well meaning employees, frequently resulted in frustration on my part. I will now only call T-Mobile phone support between 9AM Pacific and 9pm Eastern time Monday through Friday and not on holidays. I will only call phone support for an absolute emergency during the other hours.  That maximizes my chance of having a more comfortable experience, with an amicable result provided by a stateside customer phone rep.

If I must call during off hours, and have an urgent problem, and reach an off shore rep who doesn't seem to be able to help, I politely explain that I don't think the rep can actually help and ask to be transferred to a supervisor stateside. This might take a little firmness but there is always someone with some authority to get things done on duty somewhere stateside. Tech support can always be reached 24/7 also.

Even if I do reach a state side rep during conventional hours, if I don't seem to be making progress, I simply thank the rep for his or her time and say I will call back later. Then I immediately call back explaining to the next rep that I was having a little difficulty during my last contact, and hope the new rep might be a little better equipped to help me.

I have other tips and suggestions that I could share, but I am trying to keep this this reply as brief as possible. Always feel free to post in this community with questions or requests for help or advice. You can come back and ask the community what you can do next if phone support doesn't seem to be helping you enough. You could on the other post your issue here before contacting phone support.  This community is just part of the service that T-Mobile provides.

Again welcome to the community. It will be here whenever you feel like you need a few friends who will discuss phone, tablet, and carrier topics with you. You can even discuss any topic or subject you want in the Magenta Lounge.

Art

• tmo_marissa

I'm sorry to read that this was such a hassle, magenta1459386. We definitely appreciate the effort you went through to try to get this simple credit approval, and appreciate you letting us know about this and also returning to advise that getting the approval code from TU was the way it finally worked. We'll forward this experience on -- I am not well versed enough in credit policy to know if there's a way to alter the existing process, but your feedback is valuable *and* hopefully anyone in a similar situation will be able to read over your description and know what steps to take to make the process easier. Thank you so much for your time, and thanks to artart for trying to help out here!

- Marissa