noteuser954

Did tmobile pull the nougat update? I tried checking manually

All replies

• artart

Re: My Note 5 did not update to Nougat

noteuser954 wrote:

Hi noteuser954 Welcome to the forum.

According to this page, The Nougat update is (still) available for the Note 5.

Didn't you receive a notification that Nougat was available for download on your Note 5 ? 

If you haven't already done so, You might want to read: "Software updates: Samsung Galaxy Note5"

Here are some step by step instructions for updating manually. Are these the steps you have taken?

When you tried checking manually, what response did you receive?

Did you receive the message: "The device is up to date"?

Art

• noteuser954

When I check manually it says the device is up to date. Under android version it still says 6.0.1

• artart

noteuser954 wrote:

When I check manually it says the device is up to date. Under android version it still says 6.0.1

Hi noteuser954

"Device up to date" just means there is not an update currently available more recent than the one you already have. Even if Nougat has already begun rolling out to some T-Mobile Note 5s, that doesn't  necessarily mean that your Note 5 has an update available yet for you. The updates are rolled out over a period of time to smaller groups at first.. One reason that a relatively small number of Note 5s may receive the Nougat update at first, is to see if there are any complaints from the early "updatees" about problems caused by the updates. This is why I never want to be one of the first to receive a new operating system update. I prefer for others to volunteer to be guinea pigs or canaries in the coal mine..Even when the updates have been pushed out to a substantial percentage of Note 5 owners, I would still prefer to wait for reviews and feedback to roll in, following the update roll out.

If you don't want to wait for the update to be delivered to you OTA, and you would like to roll the dice, here is what you can do now, but personally I would wait until people who have actually received the update say everything works fine.

Here is some general info about Nougat roll out time tables. The article was updated two days ago.  

Art.

• artart

noteuser954 wrote:

Hi noteuser954

Here is one reason to delay updating your Note 5 to Nougat.

Ar

• stevetjr

There are 2 usually reasons you are not getting it.  First if you device was not a T-Mobile branded device but brought from another carrier, you won't get the update since it only looks for the update the TMO model on their network.

Second as mentioned the updates are "staggered" in part because if every TMO version of the phone all tried to update at once it would make the Samsung servers which host it slow to a crawl.

If you don't want to wait and most long time Samsung users will suggest and that is to use Samsung Smart Switch (formerly Kies) to update the device.  It is a much better way to update the phone versus OTA and usually has less issues and/or side effects.  Here is a link to Samsung's site and in the upper left you can download Smart Switch for whatever OS you are using;

Samsung Smart Switch™

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                • artart

noteuser954 wrote:

Hi noteuser954

Have you been able to update your Note5 yet?

Check out the latest development in this thread.

(The reply by tmo_Marissa)

Maybe your update will work now.

Art

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • tmo_marissa

Hey there, noteuser954! I just wanted to touch base here and see if you'd been able to update yet. There was a known issue with intermittent call failure in the first Nougat release, and a subsequent software update should resolve that (we've asked and so far none of the users who had issues have returned to advise that their troubles are ongoing, which is a good sign!). If you're updating, please make sure that you complete both! If you still haven't been able to complete your update OTA, were you able to use SmartSwitch?

- Marissa