With a grandfathered simple choice program, can I still add a line for $10?

captainronm

I'm wanting to add a family member, but I can't find out if I can still add a line while I'm on the simple choice plan (it's not the prepaid one), does anyone know if I can add a third line to my existing 2-line simple choice plan?  I recall a few months back where T-Mobile was offering a free add-on line (limited time offer I think), but that was probably if I moved to the T-Mobile ONE plan, does anyone know if T-Mobile will still do this?

A second side question, can anyone recommend a simple (preferably NOT a smart phone) phone for my 80 year old mother that will work on the T-Mobile network?  She's not technically savvy so that's why I'd want to go with a flip or bar phone, and one with large buttons, etc.?  Thanks everyone.

All replies

• stevetjr

Yes you are supposed to be able to add a line to your existing Simple Choice plan.  I just looked at my account on MyT-Mobile and it showed I should be able to do that, I have the Simple Choice plan.   You are also correct that you cannot get any promotional lines or etc unless you switch to TMO One plan.

As for phones, the only "flip" phone TMO sells is the ZTE Cymbal which looks to have mixed reviews.  You could also look at something like a Samsung J3 or J7 if you want bigger and just put it in easy mode.  Samsung has a feature called easy mode which makes the menus very easy to navigate, if you aren't sure you could go to a BB if you don't have a Samsung phone and have the Samsung Experience rep show you what it looks like.

• artart

captainronm wrote:

* I'm wanting to add a family member, but I can't find out if I can still add a line while I'm on the simple choice plan (it's not the prepaid one), does anyone know if I can add a third line to my existing 2-line simple choice plan?

* I recall a few months back where T-Mobile was offering a free add-on line (limited time offer I think), but that was probably if I moved to the T-Mobile ONE plan, does anyone know if T-Mobile will still do this?

* A second side question, can anyone recommend a simple (preferably NOT a smart phone) phone for my 80 year old mother that will work on the T-Mobile network? She's not technically savvy so that's why I'd want to go with a flip or bar phone, and one with large buttons, etc.? Thanks everyone.

Hi captainronm

* Adding a third line to an existing simple choice plan will still be the same monthly charge that was quoted with your original plan. If your plan included additional lines for $10, then you can still add a line for $10.

* A few months back, I actually did take advantage of that particular free add a line offer. Yes it was offered for a limited time, a very limited time. That particular offer did not require you to move to the T-Mobile One plan. I have a simple choice plan and was still eligible for the free line. Unfortunately T-Mobile no longer offers the free line. T-Mobile might at anytime make an offer like it again. That is why it pays to keep in touch with T-Mo so you don't miss out on the freebies. I use the Flipboard app (flipboard.com) and follow the T-Mobile articles.

* As far as choice of phones for your mother, I think her eyesight would be the primary consideration.  Smart phones have larger virtual numerical keys than the tiny keys on feature (flip) phones.  The main advantage a flip phone offers is a simple open to answer and close to hang up feature. When considering a feature phone, I would make sure that there were enough presets for the speed dial feature to accommodate all of your mother's contacts. On the other hand there is nothing that beats tapping a recognizable picture of a friend or family member when you want to make a phone call. Your mother wouldn't need any buttons at all to tap a recognizable face and place a call.

stevetjr wisely suggested the option of using a Samsung phone  in "easy mode". Checking out some samples with the Samsung Experience rep at Best Buy is definitely another great idea. If possible you should take your mother with you on that little adventure. She might have a great time.

The most important consideration is if there is someone in your mother's household who can check out her phone every few days or so to make sure there are no problems.You don't really need to be technically savvy to use a smart phone, so long as you live with someone who can troubleshoot a phone that suddenly won't work.

As far as best flip phones, there really don't seem to be any. I have a T-Mobile 768 that I originally purchased for a woman in your mother's age bracket. She had no trouble using it. Call quality is good and it is  well made. A used one for $50 -$100 or so would be what I would suggest. It has an fm radio and can store music on a micro sdhc card. The sound is actually pretty good. Too bad T-Mo discontinued it. It is an oldie but it is a goodie.  The current T-Mo offering ZTE  Z-320 doesn't seem to be much of a crowd pleaser.  BTW, The woman who used the T-Mobile 768  now uses my old Galaxy S4 and loves it.

Art

• captainronm

Thanks so much everyone for your good answers and input.  It's good to know that I can add my Mom for a mere $10/month without having to change my existing plan which I like.  I don't have a Samsung smart phone (I use the Motorola G4) but my wife has the Samsung S4 so I'll definitely look at her phone and the "easy mode" on it to evaluate how "easy" it is.  About the whole feature phone versus smart phones and senior's who think they aren't too technically savvy, I was thinking the same thing in that the feature phones probably aren't that good because there's no demand any longer.  Plus, if I could get my Mom comfortable using a smart phone, she may really really like it and could use it for more things if she wanted (i.e. GPS).  I like what was said about putting pictures of people she knows for contacts and just dials the pictures.  Yes, I would be seeing here a few times per week to check her phone and that it was operating and displaying as it should be.  Thanks again everyone!

• artart

captainronm wrote:

Thanks so much everyone for your good answers and input.

*1  my wife has the Samsung S4 so I'll definitely look at her phone and the "easy mode" on it to evaluate how "easy" it is.

*2  About the whole feature phone versus smart phones and senior's who think they aren't too technically savvy, . . . . .  ..

. . . . . .Plus, if I could get my Mom comfortable using a smart phone, she may really really like it and could use it for more things if she wanted (i.e. GPS).

*3  I like what was said about putting pictures of people she knows for contacts and just dials the pictures. Yes, I would be seeing here a few times per week to check her phone and that it was operating and displaying as it should be.

*4  Thanks again everyone!

Hi captainronm

Thanks for your reply and expression of gratitude.

I have some observations I would like to share. I think I can be of some additional help because of the experience I have had helping Fran, who is 91 yrs old, switch from using a flip phone to using a Galaxy S4 initially in "easy" mode, She subsequently requested to transition into using the "standard" mode. She never wants to go back to easy mode. In standard mode I can place shortcuts to her local newspaper. I can place unlimited short cuts to her contacts. The shortcut to my number immediately initiates the call. The shortcut to 911 and all other contacts generates the contact card which requires an additional tap to launch the call. The only person she might call accidentally is me.  The 911 icon is in a location where she is unlikely to touch it by accident. Fran knows how to pull down the notification shade and adjust the phone brightness. She is in the process of learning (remembering) how toggle on and off sync, location, and bluetooth. She can check lottery numbers any time she wants. She can also find her way to her "Watch Later" and "History list" on You Tube. She also wants to help you help your mother anyway she can.

Re *1 *3:  Some observations about using the S4 in easy mode,

and using pictures for dialing contacts. First there are only three pages available. One page is limited to 9 contacts with pictures. There are only three pages total available. On the other hand the Galaxy S6 has two pages each with 12 contacts for a total of 24 contacts. The S6 has a total of 6 pages available. The contact images on the S4 however, are much larger than on the S6.  I am just mentioning the difference in easy mode settings so that you keep in mind that differences do exist when actually selecting a phone for your mother. You won't have to spend flagship money to find a smart phone your mother will love. I am sure that there are many mid priced phones that might have more versatility in easy mode than the S4 has.

Your reply suggests to me that you will be a very good smart phone coach. Your mother might even be able to eventually transition to "standard" mode which would make the "easy" mode limitations of the S4 not much of a factor. If your mother likes the S4, would your wife like to upgrade to another phone? Fran told me to tell your mother that Fran loves her S4.

Re *2:  Fran is sitting next to me right now and is helping me write this reply.

She  told me to   "Say I am 91 years old and I watch movies and listen to Pavarotti". She especially loves to actually watch Pavarotti on her S4. She can't do that on a flip phone. She also told me to make sure that I tell you that she is 91 years old. LOL.

Re *4: You are welcome

Fran says hello to you, your wife and your mother. Please keep us posted as to any progress you are making. You have motivated me to see if I can get some separate conversations (threads) started concerning  smart phone usability by seniors who happen to be slightly more senior than some of the rest of us.   We can share tips, tricks, advice and work around's that can help others have as much fun as Fran is having.

Art

• wtssuperpower

I am so in love with this thread!    I really think this thread, and the contributions of artart, barcodeable, and stevetjr exemplify the best of the best of this community.  Every sentence has been such a treat...   thank you for all you give each day helping visitors to this forum.  I really appreciate the unique individual contributions you make.    Great stuff!

Also, big thanks to captainronm  for the updates.  So many times people show up with a question, and I never know.... did they get the answers they needed? what happened after they tried the suggested solution(s)? Did they even try the suggested solution(s)?

Keep rocking, y'all! 

-wtssup

Edit:   Arrrrggghhh!!   How could I forget?!?   HUGE thanks as well, go to Ms. Fran  (who is 19.  sorry,  91 )

• captainronm

THANK YOU so much FRAN!  AND ART!!!  I am "wowed" by your thoughtful and articulate answers, comments, experience and suggestions.  I have a lot to think about and Fran and Art's reply and input will make my decision so much easier and better.

I thought about what you suggested (maybe get my wife a new phone and give her S4 to my Mom), that's certainly a possibility.  In general my wife doesn't like to get new phones because she has to learn all the differences so she generally likes to keep phones a long time until they "die", but we'll see.  I have a little bit of time to think about what exactly I'll do because I'm moving my Mom out of State to be near me and that's not until early August.

I looked into Android Apps and there's a category of "launcher" Apps and a handful of them are for Seniors and create an Easy/Large interface with three or four of the Apps having a lot of reviews and 4.5/5 stars.  This might be good in that I have a 6 month old Motorola G4 (which I really like) which I can still buy and if I bought her one, I myself would be very familiar with the phone so that would help me be a good coach.

I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date on how I decide and then how my Mom adapts.  I plan to have a working phone with me to give her when I pick her up to move out to California with me.

Thank you so much Fran and Art, and everyone else!!!!

-Ron

• artart

captainronm wrote:

THANK YOU so much FRAN! AND ART!!! I am "wowed" by your thoughtful and articulate answers, comments, experience and suggestions. I have a lot to think about and Fran and Art's reply and input will make my decision so much easier and better.

I thought about what you suggested (maybe get my wife a new phone and give her S4 to my Mom), that's certainly a possibility. In general my wife doesn't like to get new phones because she has to learn all the differences so she generally likes to keep phones a long time until they "die", but we'll see. I have a little bit of time to think about what exactly I'll do because I'm moving my Mom out of State to be near me and that's not until early August.

I looked into Android Apps and there's a category of "launcher" Apps and a handful of them are for Seniors and create an Easy/Large interface with three or four of the Apps having a lot of reviews and 4.5/5 stars. This might be good in that I have a 6 month old Motorola G4 (which I really like) which I can still buy and if I bought her one, I myself would be very familiar with the phone so that would help me be a good coach.

I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date on how I decide and then how my Mom adapts. I plan to have a working phone with me to give her when I pick her up to move out to California with me.

Thank you so much Fran and Art, and everyone else!!!!

-Ron

captainronm

Fran and I both want to thank you for your kind words of appreciation.

I also appreciate the info about Skins for Seniors. I will definitely be exploring that option.

I asked Fran if she wants to say anything to you. She said to tell you that she got excited

when she heard "California". She lived in California between 1952-56. She says,

"Make sure you take your mother to visit Palm Springs."

Looking forward to hearing from you in the future.

Best wishes to your while family.

Fran & Art

• tidbits

Here's the only basic phone T-Mobile sells currently.  You can bring unlocked ones to T-Mobile provided they meet the spectrum to connect to T-Mobile's network.

Alcatel GO FLIP | Price, Specs & More | T-Mobile

• barcodeable

I have a GoFlip phone. I actually like it. Its not a smart phone - but it isn't dumb either.

You can use it as a WiFi hotspot (the battery gers really hot when i use this feature).

It has an FM radio (need to have your earphones plugged inorder for it to work)

I never liked texting on flip phones, so i primarily use this phone as a regular dumb phone. And i switch my calling network to 2G only... i get better reception in those areas that have low bars. I havn't used all the features of the phone, I probably will never use all its features because Im happy with the basics.

• tmo_chris

This......this is what the support community is all about! I've worked for T-Mobile for 12 years with a majority of it being in the written correspondence and social side. This is the best thread I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I am saving this thread as it is an inspiration

• jcbiggs565

Why are they giving me such a hard time  to do this now.   I bought the plan they were selling and I'm still on it and they should honor it

• barcodeable

TO: wtssuperpower I have read your post and read all your kind words....     Thank You... Im so happy others appreciate what I have written.

TO: captainronm I have read your post months ago, I intended to respond to it, I thought I did respond... but after reading the post again I realize I had not. Im sorry for not assisting you sooner with a response.

I have read the post (again)and think your question was never completly answered...lol....

You stated you have a 2 line Simple Choice Plan... and if that is correct, from everything I have read from T-Mobile's own website you can add a line to your existing plan. As far as adding a line for $10 I don't have that information, but the T-Mobile team can look up your account to see the exact price to add a line. Originally I had the 2 unlimited lines for $100 promotional deal, but it cost me $40 to add a line unless T-Mobile have any special promo available. I did scoop up the free lines when they were being distribute, I try and never pass up a good thing - even if it does look too good to be true.

I copied and pasted below information relating to your question. I would strongly recomend to contact T-Force to add your line, because there will be a digital documentation of your conversation with them and i would also make screen shots of your conversation for future reference. I too have similar questions, and just this morning I contacted T-Force asking them If i could add data to one of my mobile internet lines and still keep the $10 credit for having an active voice line? They replied yes!!!! which shocked me because two (2) customer service reps i talked to (Retail Store / the 1-800 customer service reps) both explained I could not make changes to my plan. They further stated I would have to upgrade to the T-Mobile ONE Plan if i wanted to make any changes. Im so happy I didn't listen to them and i went to more knowledgeable reps that are capable of fixing an issue properly. I have read many people post concerning trying to make changes to their account just to get a rep from another country that had difficulty understanding what was going on. Each time I contacted T-Force, I never had the impression they were in another country.

Switching and/or Grandfathering

Will existing Simple Choice customers still be able to update their plans, add lines?

Yes. Current Simple Choice customers can keep the plans as long as they want, and most can add new lines under the rules of your existing plan.

• Simple Choice single line customers cannot add lines, but they can change their data amounts
                              • Simple Choice multi-line customers can add lines and change their data amounts
                              • Simple Choice Family Match customers can add lines at the same or higher data level