Galaxy J3 Prime not seeing 5GHz WiFi

magenta1448478

I just purchased a Galaxy J3 Prime and it cannot see my 5GHz wifi network (no problems with the 2.4 GHz band). All our other phones and computers see the 5GHz network without any issues. I tried doing factory reset on the phone, looked through all the menus, changed channels on my router, but to no avail. The specs on T-mobile website imply that this phone is supposed to work in the 5GHz band.

Has anyone else had this issue?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Welcome, magenta1448478! Thanks for posting. Since our Tech Specs don't do a swell job of precisely calling out supported Wi-Fi networks, we leveraged our own contact network to try to see what could be happening here. As far as we heard back, there shouldn't be issues connecting to your 5 GHz network (and we're going to work on getting our content updated to more accurately reflect that).

Can I ask if you've tried any troubleshooting? I know you might not have immediately gone in that direction since it's a brand new phone, but a cache wipe would be an easy maintenance step to try. I'd also love to know if you've given this a shot in Safe Mode to see if you're able to connect to the 5 GHz network then?

All that aside, I'm sending a PM your way to collect a little more information if you don't mind -- if you'd be so kind as to check your inbox in a few moments, we'd be super appreciative! Thanks again!

- Marissa

• magenta1448478

Re: Galaxy J3 Prime not seeing 5GHz WiFi

Posting an abbreviated version of my reply to the PM for the benefit of others:

I have tried the additional steps recommended in your reply (i.e., cache wipe) even before posting my questions, but they did not help. I have just tried the safe mode, without any luck.

Additionally, I have stopped by a T-Mobile store and looked at another J3 which was on display. It did not see any of the 5GHz networks either. My old phone as well as a Galaxy S7 which was also on display saw the 5GHz network available in that store without any issues. Given that neither my phone nor the one on display at the store could see the 5GHz networks, I concluded that I probably misinterpreted the specs and this model just doesn't have the right hardware.

However, if your experts believe that the hardware should be able to support the 5Ghz band, I would certainly like to continue troubleshooting.

• tmo_marissa

Thanks so much for this addendum! I have to say, now I'm stumped. When I couldn't find anything internal about these devices and specific Wi-Fi compatibility, I went looking elsewhere online and found another site (not ours) that showed the J3 with 2.4 GHz compatibility only. I appreciate your response in PM, I'm going to include this information about your store experience along with the details you provided when I forward them along. Hopefully we'll hear back soon, and I'll update here and via PM once I do. Thank you!

- Marissa

• tmo_mike_c

Hi magenta1448478 .

Just chiming in here to let you know we're still working with Samsung on this one. We'll keep you posted once we find out more info. Thanks so much for your patience.

• magenta1448478

Thank you very much for the update and for continuing to work on this! As an additional piece of information, I'd like to mention that what looks like essentially an identical model (J327PZSASPR) sold through Sprint is clearly described as having the 5Hz capability on the Samsung website:

Galaxy J3 Emerge (Sprint) Phones - SM-J327PZSASPR | Samsung US

Thanks again.

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for that extra input, magenta1448478! I've passed this along as well. We just wanted to touch base and let you know we're still working on this. Thank you so much for your patience!

- Marissa

• tmo_mike_c

Thanks for your patience magenta1448478 . Just wanted to gather some other info. Is the router you're connecting to from T-Mobile or from somewhere else? Can you give me the manufacture of it? Thank you!

• magenta1448478

Thank you for continuing to work on this issue. Let me recap all the information I supplied previously:

1. The phone cannot see the 5GHz wifi networks at my home, office, or public spaces (I verified the presence of 5GHz signal in all these instances using my old phone). Therefore, I doubt that the make and model of my router at home matters, as the phone does not seem to work with any of them.

2. I visited a T-mobile store and checked that J3 Prime on display there also could not see the 5GHz network (once again, I verified that 5GHz signal was present). Therefore, it is likely that the issue is not with my particular phone, but rather more generally with either firmware or hardware on this model.

I hope that this information will help you focus your efforts.

Thanks again.

• tmo_marissa

Thank you for the recap, magenta1448478! At this point we've passed along the information that you provided me in PM as well as the experience that you had testing in the store. I also made sure to forward the detail that we've seen differing specs listed online. Thanks so much for continuing to hang in there; hopefully we'll have more information soon!

- Marissa

• magenta1448478

I am  wondering if there is an update since about 4 weeks have passed since the last communication. I think it should be relatively easy to determine whether the lack of 5GHz Wifi reception is a hardware or a firmware limitation. If it's the former, then there is no reason to do anything else. If it's the latter, I would understand that a fix might take some time to develop.

Thank you!

• mailtome@lescohier.com

Really? The specs clearly state that the Galaxy J3 Prime supports 802.11 b/g/n wireless protocol. This is a 2.4 gHz only protocol. No 5g. For 5g the phone would need to support 802.11a or 802.11ac. Why all the dancing around? The quickest research is all that was required to answer this question.