magenta1444096

I would encourage T-Mobile to removed all Samsung products.  I am still fighting Samsung for a phone I purchased thru T-Mobile that was sold to me defective.  Samsung charged me for repair, claiming I abused the phone.  The phone got so hot while charging it shattered the camera lens and burnt my hand.  When returned, the software crashed on loading and I could not ever get into the phone.  The phone was a complete wash, $1,000 dollars down the drain.  I have filed a Class Action Lawsuit against Samsung and NBC has been trying to contact Samsung for months, they do not responds.  When they returned my phone via UPS, they did not require a signature, even though per their written agreement they state signature is a must, it took my 3 days to find the phone.  I found it under some bushed, it had been in the rain by the garage despite the UPS driver claiming he left it by the gate.

Samsung is giving T-Mobile a bad name, my recommendation, do your homework, do not buy Samsung there are thousands of these defective phones out there sitting on someone's desk unable to be used after just being purchased.  Go buy an Apple Phone or an LG, if you want a working phone stay away from Samsung.  I will never buy any Samsung product again, I wasted $1,000 and have nothing to show for it!

Don't believe me, go to Samsung's own website and community page, you'll find so many discussions about this it is unreal, Samsung knows all about it but they refuse to do anything....

All replies

• artart

Re: Samsung

magenta1444096 wrote:

I will never buy any Samsung product again, I wasted $1,000 and have nothing to show for it!

Hi magenta1444096

What a story. No wonder you are upset.

I have a couple of questions for you.

Was UPS required to get a signature and didn't?

Where you a T-Mobile customer when your phone malfunctioned?

Have you discussed the matter with T-Mobile phone support?

Was the phone covered under the original manufactures warranty?

What did you do to replace the phone?

Have you asked  T-Mobile if there might be any kind of

special deal available on another phone to help you out?

Art

• magenta1444096

Yes under manufacturers warranty. T- mobile offer a refurbished phone.  So basically I paid for a brand new phone within two weeks it overheated and broke, Samsung has written me off told me if I didn't pay them they would dispose of my phone, t mobile offered a used phone.  I did not pay for a used phone, I do not need additional insurance until after 1 year even so t mobile sends you a used phone. So you never get what you pay for ever. Samsung should have replaced that phone with a new phone. According to Samsung's paperwork ups is sent signature required I asked for additional insurance at my cost they refused and ups left it under bushes I  the rain 3 days. 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• artart

magenta1444096 wrote:

Yes under manufacturers warranty. T- mobile offer a refurbished phone. So basically I paid for a brand new phone within two weeks it overheated and broke, Samsung has written me off told me if I didn't pay them they would dispose of my phone, t mobile offered a used phone. I did not pay for a used phone, I do not need additional insurance until after 1 year even so t mobile sends you a used phone. So you never get what you pay for ever.Samsung should have replaced that phone with a new phone. According to Samsung's paperwork ups is sent signature required I asked for additional insurance at my cost they refused and ups left it under bushes I the rain 3 days.

Hi magenta1444096

I know you really feel like you have been through the ringer.

I don't know if there is anything that can be done to help but I am

willing to spend some time to have a conversation about your plight,

and help all of us understand a little better what you went through.

Concerning the secondary issue of improper UPS delivery

I had asked if UPS was required to get a signature and didn't ?

You responded "According to Samsung's paper work, UPS is sent signature required." Unfortunately, that dosen't really answer the question. I don't know what paperwork you are referencing. Did the paperwork ship with the phone? Is it paperwork that verifies that your particular package was in fact shipped requiring a signature? Was the "paperwork" something you read elsewhere and stated that all phones are shipped with a signature required? I simply would like to know. Did Samsung in fact ship your phone with a request for a signature? Put another way, Was UPS in fact required to obtain a signature?  Did UPS then fail to do so?

Moving on to the main issue. . .

It would help if you would tell us the model of your Samsung.

Do I understand what you said correctly?

Your phone overheated during the factory warranty period. Although the issue was Samsung's responsibility, T-Mobile offered to replace the phone with a refurbished phone? You refused to replace your malfunctioning phone with one that was certified to work properly. You wanted a new phone instead since you paid for a new phone, not a "used" one.

If that scenario is correct I would like to make an observation at this point. Refurbished phones are not technically used phones. They contain no defective or worn parts. There might be some minor cosmetic blemishes. The assumption would be that a new phone under warranty, being used by a customer, is no longer a new phone anyway. You purchased a new phone, but as soon as you used it. It was a used phone. Just like after a person purchases a new car, it is a used car.

I know that doesn't sound fair to you, but that is just the way it is. It does not matter whether the manufacturer is Samsung, Apple or LG. It doesn't matter if the carrier is T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T or Sprint. That is just the way it is. The rest of your story seems to indicate to me that you probably would have been ahead of the game, if you had accepted T-Mo's offer of a refurbished phone. Unfortunately you didn't have a crystal ball and didn't know the problems you were going to face after turning down T-Mo's offer. I do understand your position that you were owed a new phone. Until I learned more about the issues involved in replacing phones, I would have been taking the position you did.

A manufacture's warranty obligation is not to replace a defective phone with a new one (in most cases). Repair or replace with a refurbished phone is the norm. Replacing with a new phone would usually be the manufacture's voluntary option. If you haven't already read T-Mobile's comprehensive concise summary of policies and procedures regarding warranties, you can do so here.

Since you turned down T-Mobile's offer to provide a replacement phone it seems you turned to Samsung to obtain a brand new phone. Of course because of the reasons I outlined above, neither Samsung nor any other manufacturer is required under the terms of the warranty to give you a brand new phone. To obtain warranty service (repair your phone), presumably Samsung asked you to send your phone so that Samsung could determine what was the cause of the phone's problems. Determining what caused the problems is key to determining whether the malfunction is covered by the warranty. Do I have it right so far? If not let we know what I might be misunderstanding?

Now that we are up to the part where your troubles really began,

can you please answer some more questions? What exactly did the repair tech say was the cause of the malfunction? Please be more specific than the general claim that you had abused the phone. Exactly what was broken in the phone which was causing the problems? If you were being blamed, what exactly did he say you did to cause the breakage? Please explain the part where Samsung threatened to dispose of your phone if you didn't pay them. Had youv agreed to have Samsung repair your phone after you were told that the repair was not covered under warranty? What had to be repaired? How much was the charge? Please try to explain in detail as much as possible what was said.

I don't know if there is anything that can be done to actually help you

but once you fill in the gaps, maybe some productive suggestions might be offered. In any even I would hope you might have a little better understanding of how these things work and be in a better position to protect yourself in the future. Samsung may or may not have some degree of responsibility to compensate you, but you did say that you had that addressed with a lawsuit. For now, if you have the time could you please  provide some of the details I requested above.

Art 

• magenta1444096

In my opinion with the way Samsung handles customers, as a vendor

(T-Mobile) I would strongly recommend not selling Samsung products ever.

Samsung is currently facing a Class Action Lawsuit for the camera screen

cracking as I experienced, this is due to the phone over heating.  When I

contacted Samsung they told me they would 100% take care of the problem and

were aware of it. I sent my phone in and within 2 weeks I was informed

Samsung wanted $200.00 or they would dispose of my phone, their tone

changed and they accused me of abusing the phone.  I purchased the phone

with an Otterbox, it never left the Otterbox, never hit the ground and

numerous complaints have been made by hundreds of people since April of

On the instructions I received from Samsung it requires someone to sign for

my phone when the return the phone to me via UPS.  However, Samsung failed

to uphold their own instructions, I even asked to have the phone insured at

my expense and they refused that as well.  So the phone was dumped in the

bushes, UPS driver claimed it was left at the front door which meant he

would have had to jump a 5 foot gate and go thru two big aggressive dogs to

do so.  So both Samsung and UPS failed to tell the truth.

When I finally found the phone, turned it on, I could not get into the it.

The phone came to me with a pre-programed password.  I took the phone to

T-Mobile, they could not get into the phone either.  They suggested I let

the battery die completely and bring it back, I did.  Once plugged in the

phone became so hot it burnt the girls hand from T-Mobile. So now I have a

phone that has spent over a month at Samsung and came back unusable,

burning, so the sales girl at T-Mobile said she could offer a refurbished

phone because my phone looked physically alright (yea because I just paid

to have it fixed even though Samsung said it was covered).  In the mean

time I purchased an unlocked Nokia phone that I have been using the entire

time my Samsung phone has been broken.

So in a nut shell, I paid T-Mobile full retail price for a Samsung S7 "NEW"

phone, 2 weeks later the camera screen shattered. I was treated very poorly

by a T-Mobile Sales Girl and sent away.  I paid another $200 in repairs

that were not my fault or Samsung would have disposed of my phone.  I paid

$50 for a Nokia phone so I had a phone, I need a phone to receive calls

from my work.  And I ended up with someone else's used phone that is now no

longer under a 1 year warranty, I am listed on a Class Action Lawsuit thru

a law firm in WA (I can provide you the name if you'd like), I have

contacted NBC New Station they have contacted Samsung with no response and

NBC has contacted T-Mobile and aside from one phone call from someone in

customer relations I have yet to get anywhere.

What I really wanted was a refund, to never have anything to do with

Samsung again, for the way I have been treated, the money I have been

forced to spend is uncalled for.  I had just switched to T-Mobile, this is

not the way I thought things would go.  I did my best to research

everything, but somehow Samsung has done an excellent job in hiding the

fact that their S7 phones have issues too.  T-Mobile is getting a bad

reputation by selling defective Samsung products, which was clearly the

situation in this case.  There are a lot of more reputable phone

manufacturers that T-Mobile can sell without risk of getting a bad

reputation right along with Samsung.

• artart

magenta1444096 wrote:

so the sales girl at T-Mobile said she could offer a refurbished

phone because my phone looked physically alright (yea because I just paid

to have it fixed even though Samsung said it was covered). In the mean

time I purchased an unlocked Nokia phone that I have been using the entire

time my Samsung phone has been broken.

So in a nut shell, I paid T-Mobile full retail price for a Samsung S7 "NEW"

phone, 2 weeks later the camera screen shattered. I was treated very poorly

by a T-Mobile Sales Girl and sent away. I paid another $200 in repairs

that were not my fault or Samsung would have disposed of my phone. I paid

$50 for a Nokia phone so I had a phone, I need a phone to receive calls

from my work. And I ended up with someone else's used phone that is now no

longer under a 1 year warranty,

Hi magenta1444096

I had some other thoughts that I had  wanted to discuss. I wanted to see if there was any way that maybe T-Mobile might be willing to help you. Let me ask you this? Did T-Mobile actually give you a refurbished phone?  Did you finally accept T-Mobile's offer to give you a phone.? Do you now have a replacement S7 that does not overheat ? If that is the case it is an entirely different ball game. How come you left that part of the story out until now? 

I know you feel bad but you can't let problems like these eat you up inside. Was the only reason you joined the forum to try to vent a little? If so I understand that. Was your primary purpose to warn others about what they might possibly go through if they were to purchase a Samsung product? I appreciate the heads up. Some others might also. I don't however, think you will be able to get T-Mobile to stop selling Samsung phones.  The sun will always come up in the east and T-Mobile will always sell the phones that people want to buy.

As I said. If you have a refurbished  S7, that's  a whole different ball game. Please confirm that for me if you will. Then we can have a discussion about what additional options you might still have. There might stll be a way to make you feel a little better.

Art

• magenta1444096

I resent your attitude.  I walked into T-Mobile thinking I was getting

better service than Sprint.  Having had an S5 for years I never thought I'd

buy a phone that would have so many problems and then end up costing me

nearly 1k to end up with a phone that someone else had and had problems

with, it's a used reworked phone it is not a new good working out of the

box phone like I had agreed to buy.

T-Mobile did not step up until NBC contacted them and after I paid to have

the phone physically fixed.  It was only then that T-Mobile offered a

"used" phone that belonged to someone else that T-Mobile refurbished.

Again this is not what I paid for.

When I bought the Nokia to have something to use, because no one offered a

phone to loan to me, I knew what I was buying and the phone for $50 was

fine as a refurbished phone.  You do not expect a phone to cost nearly

$1,000 to be used!  It was not a year old when it broke it was 2 weeks!

T-Mobile and anyone who wants to buy Samsung products they along with

hundreds even thousands of people are still at risk of buying a defective

phone.  Samsung's problems did not stop at the Note 7 their entire 7 series

line is bad and every retailer knows it yet you all sell it anyway....one

would call that fraud....

• stevetjr

magenta1444096  I have had every Galaxy since the 2 and even had the Note Edge.  Yes you seem to have gotten a S7 with an issue but that doesn't mean all S7's are bad, I had no issues with mine and because of the Note 7 issues ended up having it for a little over a year which is out of the norm for me since I have T-Mobile's JUMP (version 1) so I tend to get a Galaxy for the first half of the year and a Note for the second half.  I have quite a few friends that have the 7 and also no one has had issues with it so they I would disagree that the entire "7" series is bad frankly the S7 was the best of all the Galaxies I have owned and again I have had everyone with the exception of the original.

As for the refurbished you make it seem like it is a return that TMO just throws in a box and send you.  First off it is not TMO, it is Assurant one of the two phone insurance companies that all the carriers use. They don't just wipe it off and throw it in a back in a box, the are authorized and do a factory refurbish and if a device doesn't meet specs it doesn't go back out.  I have had a few over the years 1 do to a warranty issue and 3 do to "accidents" and frankly couldn't tell the difference from a new one and in one case (S5) my refurb actually worked better than the original and it was just the screen got cracked on the original.

TMO will not stop selling Samsung, no one will or frankly they would go out of business.  Worldwide Samsung lead in market share and no reseller especially a carrier is going to pull their number one seller (Samsung Tops Apple in Smartphone Market: TrendForce | Fortune.com ) it's just not going to happen.  If you didn't have the insurance thru TMO they could have just referred you to Samsung after 2 weeks like most resellers of other companies products do but sounds like they were willing to handle it for you.

• magenta1444096

Off that were the case why the class Acton lawsuit? It's filed and I  court. Bottom line Samsung sucks, their customer service is the worst I've ever seen Ann's I've had 4 Samsung phones never again. If you buy new yippy should get new, they are not Samsung certified repair or I would not have had to send my phone to plano tx. Shoo how about letting those who don't work for TM answer this is obviously all one sided. How about do some research then get back to me. Me beef is with Samsung and people need to be informed, best thing for that place is their issues with their neighbors because they treat customers like crap

• stevetjr

First off I don't work for T-Mobile nor have I ever, this is a user supported forum.  The company you send it to in Texas is also not a Samsung facility but rather a company Samsung contracts called RSI and they do repairs and manufacturer refurbishing.  So consider research done!!

Second, it's not a class action lawsuit, you can file it as one but unless a judge certifies it as class action it's not one and without one heck of a legal team and a lot of research and other clients that agree to your suit it will never get class action status.

Samsung sucks is your opinion and considering how many phones and other products they sell it appears you are in the minority.  Heck even Apple buys processors and for the new iPhone 8 buys their displays from Samsung.  Just like in any product especially a complicated one there will be ones that have issues but just because a small handful of people had an issues doesn't mean the whole series 7 suck.

• artart

magenta1444096 wrote:

I resent your attitude.

their entire 7 series line is bad and every retailer knows it

yet you all sell it anyway....one would call that fraud....

magenta1444096

The last statement I made to you was:

"Please confirm that for me if you will?

Then we can have a discussion about

what additional options you might still have.

There might still be a way to make you feel better.

You responded by saying "I resent your attitude".

I explained that since the actual situation appeared different than you had led us to believe,

it would call for a different approach to obtaining a solution for you that might make you feel better.

Don't you want to feel better? That question is not me having an attitude. It is an honest question. Would you rather feel better or would you rather feel worse?  I even included a smiley who was winking at you as a friendly gesture inferring that I had a plan you might want to hear about. I actually did have an idea that could have helped you get a different phone.

I understand that you are angry, very angry.

I have been as kind and gentle as possible. I have been trying to look at everything from your point of view. Nobody here want's to hurt you. We don't want to argue with you. stevetjr took the time to monitor our conversation and try to get all the facts before providing you with a concise easy to understand explanation of the way things are, not the way you would like them to be. He gave you some really helpful information that you don't seem to appreciate. I appreciate the information even if you don't. It is called education. I myself am never too old to stop learning.  In this  forum we appreciate it when people are trying to help us. Usually when people try to help, the helped person says "thank you for the help". The way we say thank you in ths forum is is to mark a person's reply as helpful.  I am explaining this to you because I don't want you to take it as a personal attack on you when I mark stevetjr 's  info helpful.

I will now add  a smiley to reassure you that I am trying to be friendly and I don't want you offend you.

I had asked some questions, many of which remained unanswered.

The answers to those questions would have helped me better understand what actually had happened. Sometime I found it difficult to understand what you were saying. I needed a little help by requesting details for clarification. When you were trying to relate what happened to you, you frequently left out the most impotant details. For instance, you had repeatedly claimed that you had spent $1000 and had nothing. That had left me with the impression that you had neither your original phone nor a replacement phone. That would be my definition of "nothing".

I had been trying to help based on the assumption that you had never accepted T-Mobile's gracious offer to provide a replacement phone.

It was not T_Mobile's responsibility to do so, yet you still are complaining that T-Mobile didn't do enough. You have even ended your post saying that T-Mobile is committing fraud because T-Mo is selling Samsung phones.

The reason I had asked for you to confirm that you had in fact received a T-Mo replacement phone, was that it would call for a change of strategy on

my part in attempting to find out if there was something that would satisfy you.

Since you had not stated definitively that you already had a replacement phone, I had asked for you to confirm my guess. I am sorry if you took offence at my aattempt to clarify the issue.

Please accept my sincere apology if I have offended you I had no intention of doing so. You also seem to think I work for T-Mobile. I do not. I am simply a customer just like you. As a customer I have had my problems in the past. T-Mobile has always resolved them. Out of gratitude to T-Mobile I am here in this forum trying to help other customers with their questions and problems. I did not have to answer your post. I simply saw that you were hurting and I was trying to let you know that I cared about you and what you had been going through.

I am sorry that I was not able to help to you. I did the best I could.

Art