S8 voice to text issues?

am321

So I purchased the Galaxy S8 on launch date. Since then I've replaced my device twice already. So I had three phones, the original purchase phone and two replacement devices, for various problems with a device under warranty. But now I seem to have no problems whatsoever except the one situation.

As you should already know, in the S8 Samsung incorporates Bixby into the OS. But to be totally honest with you, all around Bixby totally sucks! So in the OS settings, I turn off Bixby voice to text. Only leaving on Google voice to text. But every so often, multiple times throughout the day. Bixby voice to text turns itself back on in Android OS settings automatically. When doing so it still use Google Voice to Text on in the OS settings. But since it's a Samsung product, it overrides Google voice to text. So when I want to use Google Voice to Text via the keyboard, I noticed a microphone logo being different. Then when I go to click on the microphone, Bixby voice to text comes up instead. I have to go to the OS settings and manually turn off Bixby voice to text period Then it repeats itself.

So is anybody else experiencing this issue? What should I do? Does anybody know how to fix this? Or if there's a some update going to be coming out to fix this?

All replies

• am321

Re: S8 voice to text issues?

Please, is anybody able to help? Is a official T-Mobile person able to help? Is getting very annoying that I always have to switch back to Google voice to text

• tmo_chris

Hey am321

I am truly sorry that it has taken 3 phones to get you to this point and still have an issue with the voice to text feature  What specifically is going on with your voice to text? Is there a specific reason you do not like the default voice to text option? We may be a little limited as to the troubleshooting we can offer with this specific issue as this is an aspect of the phone that T-Mobile has no control over. Do you happen to notice if you are performing any specific actions on your phone when the voice to text options change like using a specific app or using voice to text in a specific app?

• am321

What is going on is the following. In the Android OS settings, for voice to text. It gives you options to disable Google voice to text and Bixby voice to text. I do not want to use Bixby voice to text, so I only leave on Google voice to text. So what would happen is every few minutes Bixby voice to text would turn itself on automatically in the Android OS settings. I would notice this because when I pull up the keyboard and microphone logo would change to a different microphone. Then I will go back into the voice-to-text part of the OS settings and it would be turned on. So I turn it off again, then a few minutes later it occurs again. It seems to repeat this cycle. Across all 3 phones this issue is occurring.

Also, I'm having another issue similar to the voice to text, specific with Bluetooth. When you go into the Bluetooth, there is the three dots on top. In there there is an option for "media volume sync". But every so often, that specific setting will turned itself off. Then what I connect to that specific Bluetooth device, or try to use the physical buttons on that Bluetooth device to manage the volume it will not work because it's off. I would have to go into the Bluetooth settings and turn it back on.

So from my technical knowledge, it appears that there is a bug in the Android OS settings. That is causing certain things to turn on and off on their own, inside the Android OS settings. Which again, everything mentioned in this post has happened on all three devices I have had.

• tmo_chris

I did a bit of google digging on this issue and it looks like this is something that other users are also experiencing. Unfortunately, I am not quite sure how to keep it disabled and this is not something that we as the carrier of the phone would be able to change. Some folks suggested package disable apps that would prevent Bixby from loading but that does not feel like a fix that one should have to do.  I would suggest that you reach out to Samsung directly on this as they may be able to provide additional insight.

As for the Bluetooth issue, is this something that continually turns itself off? If so, have you tried completely un-pairing from that device and initiation a new pair?

• am321

I've called Samsung numerous times about this. Unfortunately they know nothing about this. Just like I talk to you about my Wi-Fi post the other day. With the disconnecting and reconnecting every 10 seconds. All they want me to do with sending my phone and remain without a device so they can test my device. They claim nothing is wrong with the Wi-Fi from the other post we talked about which I'm still having, and this Bluetooth and Bixby issue with turning itself on and off in the OS settings.

Since the launch day of this device Samsung has been nothing but mean, rude, nasty obnoxious. I mean I called Samsung over 10 times about all these issues and got absolutely nowhere.  They can't even tell me if  these are even known issues are not even known issues. Because that's what we need to start with in order to get something done. I've been dealing with all these issues and calling Samsung since the launch date of the device. I've even contacted Samsung corporate over 2 weeks, and left a message and haven't received a single return phone call from them.

So I've done everything in my power I can do from calling T-Mobile a handful of times, calling Samsung over 10 times, taking my phone to a Samsung Experience(which everything I told you in the Wi-Fi post, and in this post he believes me and says I am correct), and switching out my device 2 times. But I'm still unable to accomplish not a single thing.

• am321

By the way to add to the other reply. I just called Samsung Office of the President again. Upon the calling I got to the operator and told them I need to speak to a person at corporate. All the lady did was transfer me back to regular Samsung technical support. I mean after 10 times calling into Samsung I've gotten absolutely nowhere. This is also my second time calling Samsung corporate and got absolutely nowhere.

• am321

Chris, I understand this is not a T-Mobile problem! But you(T-mobile as a whole) can't just leave people hanging to dry! T-Mobile and Samsung both need to come up with a solution to fix these issue!