reconnecting google contacts several times

magenta1428931

I have had to reconnect to my google contacts on a regular basis.Why doesn't this persist like it should?

All replies

• willf

Re: reconnecting google contacts several times

This might seem like a silly question, BUT... are you cleaning out your browser cache and cookies often?

Whenever I do that I have to reset the connection to Google, otherwise, it stays connected with no issues.

• magenta1428931

Valid question, but the answer is no, I almost never clear cache/cookies. In fact, I usually don't even shutdown or logout of my user session, as I just put the laptop to sleep. Just happened again this morning; reconnected yesterday, got on this morning, and it's disconnected again.

• willf

I wonder if it might have something to do with not logging out and going inactive due to low power mode.

Would it be possible to try testing by logging out of Digits before putting the laptop to sleep? Then logging back in in the morning and see what happens.

Side note - of course, there's an issue with Google connecting right now to various things. Might just be my end. But give it a bit just incase.

• willf

Okay. The problem with connecting my Google account to Digits (either web or download client) is still happening.

Getting a fun message saying we can't connect the account and please try again later.

Lovely red letters - "There was an error connecting to your account. Please try again later."

Are you getting this error as well?

• hunter573

i am also having problems restarting the connection with google.  Today, I am trying to look at my contacts on Digits but I keep on getting the window with the option to connect to my gmail account. After purring the credentials, it seems everything is going to work but there is no connectivity on Digits.

• willf

Looks like the issue between Digits and Google has resolved itself, at least for me. Looks like it was a handshake issue between the two which has sorted itself out.

As for the persistent login, using the download client seems to work better for that. it's been working for me with the web browser, but it could be an activity issue for the browser.

• tmo_marissa

Hey all, just wanted to check in here and see how everything's going! I know willf was a participant in this thread, but I wanted to see if you (magenta1428931 and hunter573) had a chance to take a look at tmo_evan's clarification on contacts syncing here: Digits Web interface keeps logging out of google and outlook. Are you using the downloaded client or just accessing DIGITS through your browser window?

- Marissa

• phatman81

Marissa -- This is happening on both the Web and downloaded/desktop client, in my experience. I leave it up and each time I go back to it, the google link is gone and I have to re-associate. It is beyond frustrating, as i only see #'s in group chats and loose track of who is who...

• willf

I'm noticing there's still a little glitchiness with keeping Google connected. I logged into the desktop client earlier, had to reconnect Google. It's been a few hours and I just had to reconnect again.

Might have noticed it earlier, but it's been a day of webinars and Skype video with family. Is Monday over yet?

• hunter573

My was working fine but won't be able to tell you if it is working today.  After not using the computer for 4 days, I tried to login to Digits and now I get the following message "lease ensure your browser location is shared and refresh the page to register again.

• remedy1978

I am having the same problem both on the desktop app and in Chrome. It loses the connection to my Google Account consistently.

• tmo_marissa

OK all, so just to make sure we're on the same page... As tmo_evan mentioned here, at this point only the downloaded client for Mac and PC are storing the tokens for Google/Outlook, although we're looking to get those shared with the browser version in the future. So basically, browser contacts reconnects at this time are expected per session. We also do know that sometimes the Mac and PC client refreshes and loses the tokens, but we're not expecting that to happen too often.

For everyone who's having trouble with the downloaded app, can you give me an estimate of how frequently it's refreshing and requiring the information to be synced again? That way I can reach out and see if this is within or outside of expectations of frequency for these refreshes -- with DIGITS launching commercially today, there may have been background work done on the downloadable client recently that would make this more frequent... but if there's not an explanation like that, we'd like to get some tickets filed and alert teams about this issue. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

- Marissa

• willf

@tmo_marissa, that's where the issue for me is. The download client doesn't seem to be storing the tokens. Every time I restart my PC I have to reconnect to Google. At times during the day, I have to reconnect Google through the download client, usually every 2-3 hours. I can't be any more exact than that, but I'll see what happens over the next 24 hours and see if I can't get a better estimate on that for you.

It either that or the error saying it can't connect to Google and to try again later.

The browser app, which I don't have running when I have the desktop app running, seems to be about as stable.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the desktop app seems to be pretty much a shell for the browser app. If that's the case, then we're likely seeing the same issue whether it's the browser or desktop app.

Cheers,

Will

• marcaronson408

The desktop app is not able to connect with Google to obtain contacts.

I find it very surprising that T-Mobile has decided to transition from Beta to full General Availability with this issue unresolved.

Marc

• willf

Marc,

The issue seems to be intermittent.

Yesterday, connecting via the desktop app was hit or miss. This morning, I started up the PC and app, and I'm connected to Google with no issues. I didn't even have to reconnect Google like I have been doing.

I'm wondering if it possibly could have something to do with security settings on our Google accounts or something on our PCs.

• marcaronson408

This seem more stable now.

I still have reconnect to Google occasionally, but it seems like it happens less than once/day and the frequency of this problem is declining.

I still need to login every morning, even with the desktop app.

What experiences are others having?

Marc

• jewbixcube

I have to login every time, re-connect my Google contacts every time, and then I get a "DISCONNECTED" error on the whole application altogether after about 5 seconds. These 3 issues have been happening for me since the beta launched in December 2016. Happens on the desktop app too. I can live with having to re-login every time but the DISCONNECTED error makes it unusable.

• gobigmagenta

I have to login to desktop app on mac every morning, and often i have to relogin to google. I gave up on the google integration, it isn't worth the hassle. And I don't want to store my contacts in the T-mobile cloud.

I like digits so i can receive sms on my mac, but they have not updated the mac app since right after launch - so i don't really know how committed they are. I am just happy I didn't pay for digits - it isn't stable enough to be more then free.

• jewbixcube

I agree. I'd like to use DIGITS at home to text from my computer (I don't get the "disconnected" error at home), but the process of logging in each time, re-registering my phone number each time, and then having to link with Google every time.....it's just such a hassle that it's kinda not even worth it. I'm pretty sure that on the DIGITS developers' priority list of features and bug fixes, the web client / desktop app is at the very bottom. Like you said, I'm just glad I'm not paying for it.