Fixed Galaxy S7 APN issue


    I bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 Active through AT&T and switched over to T-mobile. I unlocked my phone and everything worked for about a month. All of a sudden my phone stopped connecting to internet off Wi-Fi. My phone still made calls and sent and received texts, but the data wouldn't work. I made sure my data was turned on and tried restarting my phone, and even did a factory reset. Still didn't fix the issue. I called T-Mobile for help and they reset my APN info back to their default, but it still didn't work. They ended the call by basically sorry we can't help, sometimes phones from other carriers default back to the original carrier and there's nothing we can do to fix it. THIS IS COMPLETELY WRONG. Here is the solution.

    1. Go to Settings>Connections>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names

    2. Click on each name and in the top right corn click the 3 dot menu icon and click Delete APN. Delete ALL of them.

    3. Restart your phone.

    4. Repeat step 1 and go back to Access Point Names.

    5. Click ADD on the top right and fill in the APN information exactly like this: Network, APN, and VoLTE: Samsung Galaxy S7

    6. Click the 3 dot menu icon in the top right corner and hit SAVE.

    7. Go back to Access Point Names and make sure your new APN is selected.

    8. Restart phone and Voila! Your data connection should work again!

    You're Welcome.

      All replies

      • magenta2510478

        Re: Fixed Galaxy S7 APN issue

        Does yours work in areas with only Band 12?

        • ctatman

          Re: Fixed Galaxy S7 APN issue

          I can verify this fix works!


          I had a Samsung S7 Active unlocked from AT&T with this same exact issue. I called T-Mobile support and they had me go through all the debug steps - New APN entry, clearing cache on my browser, clearing storage on multiple apps on the phone. None of it worked. I stumbled across a work around on my own - turn airplane mode on, wait a few seconds, and then turn it off. Data would come back every time. But only until the next reboot when I would lose it again. These steps provided here in the OP work as a permanent fix. Data is on every time after a reboot. Thanks for posting the fix! I only wish that the T-Mobile tech had thought of this.


          Before I deleted all the existing APNs, I noted that there were about a dozen of them on my phone. My theory is that the S7 is not defaulting to the correct APN for the T-Mobile network - even after we add a new one and select it as the new default. So on reboot, another one of the APN configs is probably being used from cache, and that's why we are seeing this issue. The new default config created by following the T-Mobile knowledge base article in the last comment is loaded when turning data off and back on again with airplane mode but for some reason is not loaded with a reboot.


          When we delete ALL the APN configs save the one, correct config for t-Mobile, then the phone has no option but to load that config at reboot.


          That's my two cent theory and I'm sticking to it!

          • magenta2916517

            Re: Fixed Galaxy S7 APN issue

            On the APN Type make sure is not set

            like this:


            APN type: not set


            I had put in Internet+MMS and my data was still not working, I delete it and now its set on to not set. This work for me, also following what galaxyowner7 said.


            Hope this helped as well!