Solved

Do texts work over WiFi?

I have a Google Pixel that I was using on Google Project Fi. I moved to T-Mobile a week ago and every since I moved, I am having a lot of problems receiving text messages and incoming calls when I am on WiFi.
I work in an area with extremely poor T-Mobile cell coverage, but I have a good WiFi connection at work.

I can browse the web and access the internet, but text messages do not come through.

Phone calls seem extremely hit and miss. Sometimes they work and sometimes they do not.

My phone shows the WiFi calling icon in the top left.

I have a couple questions:

1: Do SMS and MMS texts use wifi over cellular if it is available? Can you select which one it uses?

2: Is there a way to troubleshoot this other than trying to send a text and seeing if it is received? Are there any logs that can be reviewed on the phone?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 15 May 2017, 00:16

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hey @magenta1425482  and thanks for coming to our support site!

In theory, messaging over Wi-Fi should work on any capable phone. The tricky part is we can't guarantee it'll, work on Non-T-Mobile devices. There are some steps on our Wi-Fi Calling page including setting up an e911 address but there also should be a setting to enable Wi-Fi calling on the device. Have you already made sure this setting is turned on? Have you tested other Wi-Fi connections to see if they allow to message? Please let us know if this has been resolved or if you still need help.

wifi_texting_broken,

My texting over wifi broke about a week ago (9.26/2017).  It has always worked for years. I have not moved or changed wifi/isp, same HTC (tmobile branded) phone. Just to put icing on the cake I'm using a T-mobile wifi router.

It has always worked, for years, it just stopped this last week.

Text over data still works.

Everything else over wifi still works.

wifi_texting_broken,

My texting over wifi broke about a week ago (9.26/2017).  It has always worked for years. I have not moved or changed wifi/isp, same HTC (tmobile branded) phone. Just to put icing on the cake I'm using a T-mobile wifi router.

It has always worked, for years, it just stopped this last week.

Text over data still works.

Everything else over wifi still works.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hey there @chris_in_cal  and I'm sorry you're having trouble with texting. It does work over the T-Mobile network, right? Have you tested another Wi-Fi connection to see if the same issue happens? If you're getting any error messages, please let us know what they are. They could help give us some guidance on how to fix this. Thanks!

Thanks, give me a couple minutes.  I'll both:

1) describe the specific error message

2) attempt to text on a different wifi connection (brilliant suggestion BTW) @tmo_mike_c

I am having this exact same issue. Within the last week, (9/20/2017) my texting service over wifi has stopped. I also have a t-mobile phone, it has worked fine for years. My calls still work on wifi, my internet browsing, etc., but my texting is no longer working at all. I've called tech support numerous times, opened a "trouble ticket", but was never contacted again (tech support said they would follow up within 3 days). I have not changed isp, have not moved and have also tried other wifi networks. Texting doesn't work with any of them. I can only send or receive texts via cell towers. Unfortunately, my service area is very minimal, I have no service at home, only wifi. I have to wait until I drive into town and then receive a bombardment of texts when my phone pings a tower and gets service. I hope the issue is resolved soon as texting is the main reason I have a phone.

After yesterday's master reset, and coming home from work. It just works. No Clue.

I'm happy it works.

I'm not happy for 3 days I could not text over WiFi.

Absolutely nothing changed on my end....It was a T-mo service issue.

If it ever happens again, I'll be upset, and I'll go to another WiFi router and see if the problem also occurs there. Or just my home router. @tmo_mike_c

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

We really should have gotten in touch with you about those tickets. Sorry that didn't happen. 😥 When was the last ticket that you filed? Did they give you the ticket number? Since it's been over 3 days, you may wanna give us a call so we can have those tickets looked at.

@chris_in_cal​  I'm happy yours is working now too! Thanks for coming back and letting us know!

Yesterday, I discovered the same problem. I hadn't been using the 4G lte cellspot because of it being open to all t-mobile users (I commented about this in another post). So I've been using Wifi calling. I powered up the 4G lte cellspot to try it again and suddenly got 10 text messages from a month ago and visual voicemail messages from some very annoyed people that I didn't respond.

So I've been searching to find out if texting works with wifi calling and found this post.

Another question, Does visual voicemail work with wifi calling. I updated the software and it seems better.

FOUND A FIX!! Hi Just went through this same problem, I recently switched back to t-mobile from verizon for living abroad. After I set up my sim card and ported my phone number from verizon I could not make calls or send and receive text, even when the wifi calling switch was turned on. I even reset my network settings and factory reset my phone and still did not work. I realized it was not working because I set up wifi calling in a place that had no cellular coverage. The way I was able to fix it was to find a place where I was able to get cellular service LTE, then I reset my network settings, then I turned on wifi calling again while in a place that had coverage, it worked! Once I returned to a place that didn't have coverage I could then call, send and receive text through wifi.

I cannot wait to try this. I live in the corner of nowhere. So I actually will have to do this at my job.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! I spent the past two years with AT&T not getting texts over wifi calling and tech support was no help. I gave up and bought a signal booster to make it work. Now I've switched to T-Mobile and same situation. I just tried your fix and it works!!! I am so thrilled! I hope tech support will start providing this troubleshooting tip.

Think T-Mobile's broad response about texts being sent via wifi if no cell service is much BS. Sitting here with good wifi connection, no bars, and all messages are tagged "Pending". Walked around until I got one bar, but nothing. And the promo about text and data overseas seems to be a bunch of the same malarkey. Wouldn't work in Ireland, Scotland, England, Germany or Italy. Had to buy a different company's SIM card in order to use text and data there. Plus overall coverage here in the States  is iffy. Soon as I'm out of my contract, I'm gone.

Old thread but wanted to say I was having same issue. Tried your food and it worked! Thanks!

Worked like a Champ, thanks!!