Is T-Mobile better than Verizon ?

artart

Avram Piltch, the Online Editorial Director at Tom's Guide says it is.

He is switching to T-Mobile after using Verizon for 16 years.

In this article, Avram Piltch reports why he is ditching Verizon for T-Mobile's superior service.

Some detractors claim that T-Mobile can't compete with other carriers based on service quility.

They use that bogus claim to deride T-Mobiles promotions and lower monthly costs.

Avram Piltch knows plenty about carrier service quality.

He has done tests of his own and obtained "better speeds from T-Mobile".

Art

All replies

• It's going to be relative to coverage of the person deciding. Or at least that's the usual response.

• tidbits

Re: Is T-Mobile better than Verizon ?

It's always subjected to coverage.

I have 7 lines for $160(promotions I took advantage of).  I have great coverage on my places of travel with T-Mobile.  If I wasn't getting the coverage I needed even with that $160 price tag I would be with a carrier that gave me that coverage I needed.  I don't mind paying $250-350 for the coverage and service I need.

• drnewcomb2

Re: Is T-Mobile better than Verizon ?

Location, location, location. Each carrier is good in some places and not so good in others. Since T-Mobile went with the one-size-fits-all T-Mobile ONE plan, it has been possible to get a Verizon plan, with discounts, that is competitive price-wise with T-Mobile. Some people are making the decision to ditch T-Mobile and go to Verizon. Some are ditching Verizon and going to T-Mobile. In general Verizon is king in rural areas. Even when T-Mobile deploys 700 MHz in rural areas, Verizon generally has much better coverage. T-Mobile's 700 MHz will often go dead half-way between towers while Verizon keeps a strong signal. I keep a PagePlus PAYG (on Verizon's net) active just for my trips into the boondocks. If it doesn't have a usable signal, I know I'm really out in the woods.

• Just had a friend visit a remote area in the boondocks. She's on T-Mobile. I could see from the coverage map that there were about 5 magenta pixels in the area she was visiting.

When end she got there she had already lost signal 10 miles back. Panic ensued and all manner of quips like "I should have stayed on VZW" were heard.

Luckily she she caught a dot of LTE on the skip and has managed to stay connected for 2 days with no issue. The locations owner has nothing but dial up out there. They use a VZW phone for hotspot. And that signal is 2 dots max. So I guess that says something. Anyway. After being without signal for all of 2 hours she remembered to restart the phone and the whining has ceased.