Access LineLink Number on Flip Phone

mallardnathan

When I watched the original video on DIGITS, it mentioned DIGITS working with non-smartphones (such as a flip phone). I'd like a way for my mother to access my LineLink number from her T-Mobile flip phone. Is this possible to do (even after the beta is over)? And if so, how would I set it up?

Thanks!

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Hey, mallardnathan! So the concept of using flip phones with DIGITS is a little different from the feedback request to scale the DIGITS app for smaller screens. Ultimately, DIGITS on feature phones (non-smartphones) is pretty much one of the reasons the duplicate SIM exists, since the app is a no-go on that type of equipment (unless it's running Android 5.0+ or iOS9+). If you had a duplicate SIM in your mom's phone, doubling your LineLink number, she'd be able to get calls made to the LineLink line - though she wouldn't get her own calls until she switched SIMs back.

If this is something you're interested in moving forward with once DIGITS is live (since Beta enrollment's closed my understanding based on feedback from other users in the forum is that we're not adding new duplicate SIMs at this time), then you'd just need to follow the steps evanmf outlined here: LineLink DIGITS Users - Please Read! to reach out and get the provisioning set up!

- Marissa

• mallardnathan

Sounds good! Thanks for the info! I was thinking duplicate SIM was the way to go on this. My mother seldom uses her cell phone (only for emergencies), so no one has her cell phone number (except me and her). Once DIGITS officially rolls out, we'll head to a T-Mobile store together, and I'll look at putting her on a duplicate SIM instead of the current number she's on. I believe that'd be better for her. Thanks again!

• tmo_marissa

No problem! I think that sounds like a perfect fit for you guys!

- Marissa

• tmo_evan

Re: Access LineLink Number on Flip Phone

mallardnathan

Before you go off to the store, social media, care etc to enable this scenario, let me tell you the bad news and the way to enable what you're looking for.

You will not be able to get a Paired DIGITS line (aka a duplicate SIM) for your Linelink.  Given the construction of some of our plans and things on the back end, this is not one of the line types that we allow for pairing.  Don't ask, don't try, it's not something that anyone will let you do - trust me.

However, what you could do is the following:

- Convert your Linelink number to a regular GSM rate plan

- Put that SIM in your mother's flip phone (there are some band 12 ones on the horizon that would be worth getting)

- Get a Paired DIGITS line for the GSM line that you created in the above steps

- Put the duplicate SIM of the Paired DIGITS line into the Linelink

That combinations is really the only way the scenario you want to enable will work.  At least it can be done ;-)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • mallardnathan

Thanks for the info! I'll hold off on any of this until DIGITS officially releases, then I'll take mother to the T-Mobile Store and show them this thread and look into this.

I am VERY interested in knowing about the Band 12 flip phones. I'd like to purchase a couple of them as soon as they launch.

• tmo_marissa

Sorry that I spoke out of turn, mallardnathan! Just wanted to make sure you've got a second to look at tmo_evan's correct steps.

- Marissa