Want to carrier unlock S8

dragon1562

So I pre-ordered and payed full retail price on the Galaxy S8. I have been with T-mobile for 3 years and this is my first time buying a carrier locked device in a very long time. Anywho the problem is that I need my phone to be unlocked before I leave on June first for South Korea and Thailand. However whenever I try to use the app it says my device isn't eligible and when I try to do it online it says my device isn't registered in the system. So basically what is the scoop I really want to use my S8 when I am away and not have to rely on my old nexus 6p since Samsung Pay is a form of payment that is widely accepted in South Korea and is my preferred method to make transactions. I also  of course just like having 320GB of storage to with whatever I want i.e pictures,music and etc.

So can someone clarify what the requirements are because my account is in good standing. I have never missed a payment and as I mentioned the device is paid off so why is it so hard to get a unlock code.tmo_marissatidbitsstevetjr@

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Want to carrier unlock S8

Give it a few more days and then try it.  IF not call in and request an unlock.  It's kind of hit or miss as to how long it registers in the system.  For example my S7E was unlocked 2 days after I got it and didn't have to request it, but my iPhone 6S I had to request it and I had to wait like a week.

• dragon1562

I called in and had no dice they told me the reason it can't be unlocked is because the device must be active for 40 days. this isn't good and I wish someone would just give me the code since its my device.

• stevetjr

That is technically their policy Unlock your mobile wireless device but have seen especially with post paid accounts as long as you haven't done more than 2 in a year they will unlock it but maybe that has changed.  They also used to do temporary "vacation" unlocks, maybe you could do that until you get to the 40 days. 

I know they lock them because they want to encourage only TMO customers to use up their inventory.

• tidbits

The account needs to be active for at least 40 days.  After that there is this soft rule that the device has to be registered to the network for at least 7 days.  Longest I have seen for a device to register on a network is 2 weeks, and the shortest is 6 hours(I don't know why this large disparity).  My S7E when I got it I unlocked it within hours and never bothered to call it in.  I have never waited longer than a month to get it unlocked.

• dragon1562

I'll try calling again then because its been way over a week since the S8 came out

• dragon1562

so i called in again and the lady spoke with named Peal put in a unlock request for me. The only problem is i got this back. The link they gave me doesn't even work and I find this to just be BS.20170504_123556.jpg

• dragon1562

after a lot of phone calls I got it unlocked. I had to get the IMEI number white listed on the back end for it to work since it wouldn't register as a t-mobile s8 due to me buying it directly through Samsung.

• magenta1426121

where you got ?

• soroosh

Hi

May I ask how you got your phone whitelisted?

I'm on the same boat, bouncing between Samsung and T-mobile reps with no luck.

Thanks!

• dragon1562

You have to work your way up with t-mobile reps. Basically just call in and ask to be sent to the advanced technical department, from their explain your situation. You will want to do this on a weekday around 9 am eastern time and they will have to file a ticket for you. You should have things resolved within 24 hours and you should ask for a check up call which they did for me.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    • magenta2124386

me also on the same boat. rotating between samsung and t-mobile.

• dragon1562

Samsung won't be able to help you its a t-mobile issue. Also make sure you meet all the requirements for a unlock.

• boykerachmanda

Hello dragon1562, I have been a customer for T Mobile from August 2017.

I Bought S8 on April 2017, through samsung website. Next month I will go home and want to unlock the phone.

I have been trying to contact t mob and samsung, t mob send me the instruction that seems useless and samsung told that they could not help to unlock the phone.

Please help me with step by step to unlock my phone. Where should I register My IMEI?

Appreciate for your fast response.

• dragon1562

If you meet all unlock requirements you should be able to unlock the device by using the pre-installed unlock app. If it is successful you will see the app disappear and all you will need to do is restart the phone and try another sim. If this is not the case you will need to call t-mobile and explain the situation.

• boykerachmanda

I already explain the situation last night. The representative said that my

phone already unlocked and i need to try with another carrier SIM Card. but

it was useless. even i made 3 way call / conference with samsung

representative. Any step by step method what i need to say. T Mobile insist

that my phone already unlock because my imei is not on their list. Also how

to make my imei become white list? I really tired because of this.

appreciate for your answer

• magenta2478511

I encounter the same issue.  I have made numerous calls to T-mobile and Samsung.  Most of the reps say that they can help.  At the end, nothing work.  Who lock the device?  If the consumer pay off the device, why big business is allowed to lock the device.  Consumer has no protection.

• stevetjr

magenta2478511 wrote:

I encounter the same issue. I have made numerous calls to T-mobile and Samsung. Most of the reps say that they can help. At the end, nothing work. Who lock the device? If the consumer pay off the device, why big business is allowed to lock the device. Consumer has no protection.

While there is the occasional technical issue as long as you meet these requirements Unlock your mobile wireless device they will unlock the device.  They have made even easier than the other carriers by having an app that now queries a server and if you have met the above requirements it will automatically unlock the device.  All the US carriers with the exception of Verizon carrier lock their devices and Verizon only sells them unlocked because they have to because of an agreement they made with the FCC when they bought some spectrum otherwise they used and would continue like the other carriers to still lock their devices.  They all do this because carriers tend to lose money on selling phones or at a minimum break even as there is very little profit margin in them and once you take into account inventory costs, marketing and etc it is usually a loss.  Especially when a newer phone comes out they don't want customers from other carriers buying up their inventory and depriving their existing or would be new customers of a phone because they had stock when the other carrier may have been out.  Also if they are going to lose money selling it they want to get a least a month or two of service for that, so that is why the carriers lock the devices they sell.  The only reason Best Buy sells phones is not because there is any margin on the phones it is the commission they get paid, ever notice they don't sell TMO phones?  Because TMO was the first carrier to do away with contracts and it was the commision on that 2 year contract that BB was paid the commission and if they sell an unlocked version the price is usually higher.

If you have met the requirements have you tried using the unlock app?

• magenta2478511

The phone is purchased from Samsung.com; therefore,T-mobile declines my request  .  It is T-mobile phone version.  Samsung rep says t-mobile has agreement to unlock the phone.  The problem is that I don't know what is contract between the two companies.  I don't even know how the device is locked whether it is at factory or not.  This "lock the phone thing" is imposed by American carrier.   

• stevetjr

All US S8's/S8+ have the same model number just different "carrier" software loads.  If you device was purchased from Samsung but T-Mobile was selected as the carrier or some phones (iPhone in particular) will carrier lock based on the first SIM put in the device.  If you phone has T-Mobile's device unlock software along with other T-Mobile software then you were sold a T-Mobile phone.  If that is in error then I would argue that with Samsung that your initial order was for an unbranded/unlocked S8 and that's obviously not what you got if it locked to TMO and has TMO software on it.

Apparently Samsung has sold some TMO software and locked devices but didn't "whitelist" the devices with TMO so TMO doesn't know they are out there so of course they won't unlock them.  Here is a thread on reddit that some users have had success and of course knowing the question to ask helps big time.  To contact T-Force just use FB or Twitter (I prefer FB) and reach out to them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/6cxrrn/unlocking_tmobile_s8_and_s8_purchased_directly/