Coverage deficiencies (could use a little help - hint, hint....)

maxgainzzz

This is just a heads up for the powers that be who make coverage decisions.

I travel up and down the east coast and love my t-mobile service. I travel for work and am away from home 10 months out of the year. During my travels I stay in Ramsey, NJ for 1 week. The signal here leaves much to be desired which leads to dropped calls and DNS problems on the internet. Being so close to NYC one would believe it would be better. A boost in this area would be much appreciated.

But that's not my main problem. The 10 months away from home is great. It's home that is the problem. I live in Plattsburgh, NY at the city's edge. (3 miles to be exact.) I get great coverage when in town (full bars) but at home? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Not 1 bar. I'm reduced to switching to my home WiFi to make calls at home for the 2 months I'm there. Please get more coverage my way. It's a serious dead zone.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Thanks for the heads up! I was taking a look at Plattsburgh, NY and I do see that we have an LTE 1900 tower right smack dab in the city there and a couple towers that cover the North and North west but the coverage does taper off further south. WiFi calling is a great service and I am super glad to hear that you are taking advantage of it at your home.

As for the coverage issues you are having up and down the coast, we would want to take a closer look at some specific areas to see if there is a tower issue or if it is just a low coverage area. Do you happen to have any zip codes or city names that I can look at for you?

• maxgainzzz

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Here's what I have so far:

In Plattsburgh, NY I live on Jersey Swamp Rd. Just a little north between Plattsburgh (12901) and Beekmantown (12901). As soon as I hit my street my service drops to nothing. It also cuts out west of Plattsburgh coming into the town of Morrisonville (12962) off Rte 22B. Both locations are approximately 6 miles from the center of Plattsburgh.

In New Jersey, the city of Ramsey, NJ (07446) has weak coverage with voice breaking up and spotty data. I don't know if it's city wide but along Wyckoff Ave is where I experience this. In your defense, Sprint and AT&T experience the same issue here if not worse.

I don't go there any more but Dinwiddie, VA (23841) didn't have any service while I was there.

The area near East Greenwich, NY (12865) heading into Manchester, VT also has coverage problems but that is a mountainous area so I don't know if anything can be done. Service is restored in Manchester.

Also, when I'm driving south from Windsor, VA (23487) south on US 258 to Princeville, NC (27886), I experience long blackout periods along the way. There are a lot of small towns in this area (repressed area / tobacco farms) so I don't know if coverage is worth it to you or just to travelers passing through.

Also, I'm on a Galaxy S5 and an Alcatel Fierce XL. (I know, I should be upgrading by now) Both are experiencing these outages.

If I hit more in my travels, I'll keep you posted.

• stevetjr

maxgainzzz wrote:

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Here's what I have so far:

In Plattsburgh, NY I live on Jersey Swamp Rd. Just a little north between Plattsburgh (12901) and Beekmantown (12901). As soon as I hit my street my service drops to nothing. It also cuts out west of Plattsburgh coming into the town of Morrisonville (12962) off Rte 22B. Both locations are approximately 6 miles from the center of Plattsburgh.

In New Jersey, the city of Ramsey, NJ (07446) has weak coverage with voice breaking up and spotty data. I don't know if it's city wide but along Wyckoff Ave is where I experience this. In your defense, Sprint and AT&T experience the same issue here if not worse.

I don't go there any more but Dinwiddie, VA (23841) didn't have any service while I was there.

The area near East Greenwich, NY (12865) heading into Manchester, VT also has coverage problems but that is a mountainous area so I don't know if anything can be done. Service is restored in Manchester.

Also, when I'm driving south from Windsor, VA (23487) south on US 258 to Princeville, NC (27886), I experience long blackout periods along the way. There are a lot of small towns in this area (repressed area / tobacco farms) so I don't know if coverage is worth it to you or just to travelers passing through.

Also, I'm on a Galaxy S5 and an Alcatel Fierce XL. (I know, I should be upgrading by now) Both are experiencing these outages.

If I hit more in my travels, I'll keep you posted.

Plattsburg is more an issue of spectrum, they don't have any low band spectrum in that one part of NY & upper VT.  Low Band spectrum penetrates buildings better and the signal carries much farther (general rule of thumb is 1 low band tower = 4 high band towers).   T-Mobile had zero low band spectrum until a few years ago when they bought about $4 billion of it (cash & swap of mid-high band) with Verizon who needed mid-high band spectrum.  This is because while low band carries much father it actually slower and Verizon's entire LTE was built on low band and while you could get signal everywhere it was painfully slow.  The mid-high band they got from TMO the called XLTE and TMO calls the low band they got extended LTE.  Now TMO just won 45% of all available 600 MHz low band in a recent auction and they made it clear that their focus would be on where they didn't get 700Mhz A-Block spectrum (Band 12) from Verizon.  They currently don't have any phones that support 600Mhz yet but they say they they will have one later this year, probably the Note 8 will be the first.  For the current Band 12 spectrum your Galaxy S5 doesn't support it but he Alcatel does so in areas that have Band 12 spectrum and it's been deployed you may find areas where the Alcatel works and the S5 doesn't.   I have included to links that have maps showing Band 12 and Band XX (600Mhz) areas;

Map of T-Mobile's 700 MHz spectrum

T-Mobile's 600 Mhz winning bids

As I mentioned upper NY and VT don't have Band 12

NJ does and while it has been deployed I am not sure if it is fully deployed in all NJ markets but if you look on the map it will show live sightings, official from TMO or expected launch (note this isn't a T-Mobile site but has been pretty accurate)

It looks like most of eastern VA has Band 12

North Carolina,  this is a known issue for TMO and comes down to available spectrum.  When TMO (or VoiceStream etal) launched the available spectrum in NC was very limited as there is non-carrier owner of spectrum in NC.  TMO got a little Band 12 spectrum in NC but it is limited to extreme NE NC and a strip in the middle and the Fayetteville/Ft Bragg area.

All of these areas got 600Mhz spectrum. 

• artart

Hi maxgainzzz

Do you use the T-Mobile Wi-Fi Cell Spot Router ?

If you are not already using one, you might want to try it.

It is dual band and prioritizes voice calls over other data.

Mine is fantastic. I get very reliable connections

for all of my devices. I also  like the cost - free.

Art

• maxgainzzz

Hi artart ,

No, I haven't heard of this. Is it just for home use? Or can I use it while traveling also?

Karl

**edit** After reviewing I don't need this. I already have wifi calling at home and my phone is my network on the road so if I have difficulties with my reception then this won't work. Thanks for the idea though!

• artart

maxgainzzz wrote:

Hi artart ,

I already have wifi calling at home  Thanks for the idea though!

maxgainzzz

I only mentioned it in case you needed better voice quality or reliability using Wi-Fi at home. The software included in the T-Mobile router prioritizes the data that is used for voice. Presumably that would be useful when talking on the phone while simultaniously downloading large files on a laptop. If you have no issues of call reliability while also using othger devices at home, you wouldn't need it.

If you don't have a dual band router at home, the T-Mobile router could improve your connection and data speed for devices that support the 5GHZ channel. That was a huge bonus for me when T-Mo provided the router. All of my devices worked better and the range of the T-Mo router was much better than my old one. If you don't need a faster, better Wi-Fi conection you still wouldn't have a use for the T-Mo router.

As far as your real problem of staying in  constant touch while being mobile, would it be important enough to consider a cheap prepaid feature phone using other carrier networks as a backup?

Art