Conference Calls and VoLTE

laestrella

To my knowledge Samsung phones on T-Mobile are the only flagship phones that have a problem managing conference calls when VoLTe is turned on. Other carriers don't have this issue. Essentially, I can't hang up on one line after I've merged a call while on VoLTE. And I can't turn VoLTE off on the S8+.

What gives T-Mobile? Other carries with Samsung phones don't have this problem and other phones (Pixel, iPhone, V20) on T-Mobile don't have this problem.

Can we get a fix????

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Conference Calls and VoLTE

Oh man laestrella, I hear where you're comin' from, and this can be annoying for sure. I've heard of this happening on another phone so I'll need to do some hunting around for more info. I'm guessing the number you want off the line has to hang up so they can leave the call, right? When you look at the screen during a conference call, do you have an call options or a "Menu" setting? Please come back and let us give us an update. I'll run this by some of my internal folks and see what I can find out for you. Thanks!

• laestrella

There are no menu options. And yes, I have to either hang up on all lines or one person has to hang up. Here are some screenshots that will show the difference. If I can manage the three way call I will see that triangle near where it says conference call and from there I can expand the options.

20170505_110653.png

off.jpg

• tmo_mike_c

Wow, that is super helpful. Thanks a bunch for the screenshots. I really appreciate you doing that. I'll show my internal folks these pictures and see what I can find, so stay tuned for updates.

• tmo_amanda

Thanks for hanging in there, laestrella! We're still waiting to hear back but we'll be sure to update you as soon as tmo_mike_c receives an update.

• tmo_mike_c

Sorry for the delay, but I want to give you an update. I'm currently working with our engineering team and Samsung to see what next steps are being taken to help you and other folks out with this. For now, the only way to disconnect one line from the conference call is to have that line hang themselves. Keep in mind, this would only need to be done while connected to VoLTE. 4G, 3G, and 2G you should still have the option to manage the calls individually. I know this isn't the best solution, but I'm still checking with my internal teams to see if there are any other options. Thanks so much for your patience.

• laestrella

Thank you so much for keeping me updated. This is something that is very important and I'm not sure how it was overlooked so I appreciate your attention on it. I really do hope it's a simple fix that might just get baked into the next update or something. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• tmo_mike_c

I agree. That would be great if there was a software update "cooking" for this. I'm still checking with engineers to see what'll need to happen in order to help. I understand you're not able to turn off VoLTE, but are you able to change the network mode you're phone is connected to? I changed this on a test device and checked out the conference calling. This does seem to be the best workaround until we can sort out the VoLTE calling.

• laestrella

Yes, I can change the network mode to 4G but then I lose LTE speeds. And let me tell you T-Mobile 4G is useless. I wonder if I will lose any other benefits like native like video calling and RCS. I'm also concerned it might also interfere with Digits text syncing. I'll turn it off for the day and see what happens and then report back.

• tmo_mike_c

Yeah, I totally get why you want to keep it LTE on. I was thinking it would be a temporary workaround and only when you're using conference calling. So, you're not able to use any service whatsoever when you're connected to 4G?

• laestrella

Following up from yesterday, I've determined that it's best to leave LTE on. If I turn it off I do indeed lose the ability to do the native video calls. I also lose the ability to have my messages sync back to my S8+ from my iPhone that has a duplicate Digits Beta sim. So it's not worth the trade-off especially since I can't toggle LTE on the fly if I'm on the phone.

• laestrella

I just noticed that this issue has been fixed. I don't know when it happened. Maybe in the most recent update to the S8 that came out last week but I can now manage conference calls when on VoLTE.

I'm glad T-Mobile and Samsung finally got it together and fixed this problem.