About had it with Alcatel 4S phone

magenta1376984

Phone restarts frequently and I have no idea why

I cannot receive Text messages. I get a Media Content in This Message line and a series of folders that states: Download. They don't download.

Voice messages: I get an indicator that states I have a voice message, but the phone won't show the number unless I do restart. Each time.

I don't get notifications when I have messages

Difficulty with talking to people. The phone does not always ring when I dial them and yet they call me just fine.

I switched to this phone because I was interested in the power of Windows 10 and the ability to share with my Windows 10 laptop. However, it is becoming a real pain and I am thinking it is time to switch back to Samsung or LCD.

More dislikes than likes, not a good sign.

thanks

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: About had it with Alcatel 4S phone

Yikes! This is absolute horror story. Sorry this is happening but we really want to turn this around for you. How long has this phone been doing this? Have you downloaded any 3rd party apps recently. Sometimes, 3rd party apps can be the culprit behind the phone acting wonky. Uninstalling them should do the trick most of the time. I also want to know if you're using a 3rd party messaging app for your texts. Can you keep us posted on this? We really want to see this through and help you out as best as we can. Thanks!

• kpo6969

What version of Windows 10 are you running on your phone ? The most recent  version is 10.0.15063.251 (Creator's Update-Redstone 2). I run my Idol 4S on the latest Insider Preview version 10.0.15208. You may have a defective phone or you may just need to update it.

• kpo6969

You could also do a hard reset and then enroll in insider's program in release preview and update. Also laptop for release preview and sync everything.

• tmo_marissa

Hey magenta1376984! We just wanted to check in and see if you'd had any luck isolating your phone's strange behavior, checking for an update, or enrolling in the program kpo6969 mentioned. How is everything going with your Idol 4S these days?

- Marissa

• magenta1376984

Sorry all, I have been busy with work. In response to the questions have my issues been resolved. Absolutely not! What makes things worse that i am having issues with even trying to replace the phone with something different but that is another entire topic involving t mobile support. My issues with the phone are extremely frustrating now because we are in the process of selling our home and I am missing important message from my real estate agent and the title agent processing the paper work. My wife, who is busy being a teacher at an elementary school, is having to forward me messages via email that she is getting on her Samsung device. I am now also having issues with sending messages, and the phone continues to want to reboot for no apparent reason. I did check and according to the information on the phone I am supposedly on the most current system.

I purchased the phone in December, and at the time it seemed to work well. My only complaint was related to limited apps but I knew that when I purchased it. Now however, an entirely different attitude. I have honestly been a very happy customer with t mobile but now everything has changed. Sorry guys, I know..I know...only so much you can do...I get it...but I hope you understand my frustrations. If you can help me, trust me I am willing to listen as I would love to stay with t mobile.

OS Build: 10.0.15063.297

Version 1703

Firmware revision number: 1052.10.08031.54600

Hardware revision number: 0.0.0.3

Model: Alcatel Idol 4s with Windows 10

Installed RAM 3.5 gb

Please remind me again how to enroll in the update program and what can I expect from it if I do? I have given the T Mobile support folks one week to resolve my issues or my wife and I are taking our three lines back to Sprint. I have no other options if I can't get this resolved or I can't switch phones.

• kpo6969

I just did this yesterday for mine, it takes a bit of time but mine seems to be running better.

1. Run the WDRT to get back to build that was released with the phone (14393.189)

2. Set your phone up fresh as a new phone

3. Do all the app updates 1st, then update the phone (see next step)

4. In updates and security go to windows insider program, set to fast ring and it ask you to restart. If not restart anyway.

5. Check for updates for build 10.0.15210

6. After updating to build and all apps do a soft reset (hold power and volume down buttons until it vibrates)

7. Give it several hours to settle down

Best of luck to you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • magenta1376984

How long does it take to download the outlook calendar, mail and maps apps? They seem to be stuck in downloading status. Keep saying Starting Download. About 10 minutes and still says Starting Download. I have a high speed internet connection. Now saying neither can install.

• tmo_mike_c

Yikes magenta1376984 !

I gotta tell ya, feel awful about this whole thing. When stuff just pile on one after another like it's been, I understand it can be tough to continue to deal with it. How we normally handle issues like this is to replace the phone under warranty after all troubleshooting has been done. I'm glad you've done a reset already, but I'm curious if you've left all 3rd party apps off the phone and then tested the messaging. If there's no damage to the phone, we could replace it under warranty, however, it would be another Alcatel 4S. If you absolutely have your heart set on just JUMPing to another device, then I think checking on the status of the phone you sent back is still worth a shot. There's only one of two places it could have gone; Our warehouse in TX or Assurant in PA. I know there's an escalation process to find out what happened to it. You could also try running this by our T-Force team through the social links on our Contact Us . They're an awesome team that could take another look into this for you and help get this resolved. I feel really bad things have gone so sideways, but I do appreciate you coming to our site and telling us your story.  Please continue to keep us posted on the end result. Thank you.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi magenta1376984 !

Were you still running into trouble with this? I just wanted to check in and see if this has been resolved. Please let us know. Thanks!

• magenta1376984

Yes, I am sorry to say and I am looking into switching carriers this week. I have an important trip later this week and I have been patient long enough. T Mobile Support does not appear to resolve my phone issues and I am told I can't switch phones unless I am willing to keep paying for a phone I don't like. Taking all three lines. I honestly don’t see any other options.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

• tmo_marissa

I'm so sorry to read this update. I was definitely optimistic that the steps that kpo6969 so thoughtfully provided might provide some relief!

Can I ask about any troubleshooting you've accomplished with our Tech support team over the phone? If we've isolated the issue to your device, were we able to offer an exchange as an option, or is the phone out of warranty? We'd hate to see your family go if there was a solution here!

- Marissa

• magenta1376984

Okay, here is the history of my problem with the phone, and through it, became bigger with T Mobile: My wife and I have been with T Mobile for a couple of years and have had at least three lines, and at one point added one for our daughter. We have Jump which I used in December to go from a LCD 5 phone to the current Alcatel Windows 10 phone. Why? I was interested in using a Windows 10 phone and sharing information with my Windows 10 laptop. I had read the comments and understood the limitations on apps, but overall the feedback seemed pretty positive and we have been real happy with T Mobile as a service provider. So, I switched to the Alcatel 4S phone. December 2016

The Alcatel phone was not available in our local store, so I called T Mobile and ordered it over the phone. They said I needed to return my old phone or I would keep paying for it. I said no problem, I will take it to the local T Mobile store thinking I can verify i delivered the phone. The CS rep on the phone insisted I not take it to the store but instead use the box that would be sent to me and mail it back. If I dropped it off at the store there was a chance it would not get returned. I argued a bit, but figured you knew best, put the phone in the box and shipped it back using the label provided.

About mid March, I started having issues with the phone such as text messages not going through, the phone kept rebooting, and not getting voice messages unless I restarted the phone each time. I did a number of things at the time including doing a complete reset. This did not seem to fix anything and instead seem to make things a little worse. I was real busy at work and didn't really pursue resolution.

In April, we started working with a realtor to sell our home. The problems with the phone were still happening and my wife was getting upset because I was not being responsive to her or the realtors messages. I asked what messages, restarted the phone, and poof, there they were, along with some voice messages I had not gotten.

I think it was late April I decided it was time to make a switch, admittedly after pressure from the wife that she was getting tired of having to tell me to check for messages. She is an elementary teacher so you can imagine how exasperating this can be. I went to the local T Mobile store, less than 5 minutes from me, the same store I wanted to drop the last phone off at, and told the store rep I needed to use the jump option again to switch to a different phone. It was then I found out that apparently T Mobile never received the phone I had shipped back to them and therefore the rep said I could not switch phones. He said to call customer service. I did.

Customer service told me that they don't show my old phone had been received and in fact I have been making payments on it since December. I am guilty, I don't always check my bills i just trust they are accurate. Lesson learned. On top of that, I could not switch phones until the old one was found. How long would it take? Ten to 14 business days I believe I was told. What if they can't find the now lost phone? They were not sure, In the meanwhile, I am still stuck with the Alcatel phone that I have been posting about on here. Still the same issues, still missing messages, and now my house is in the actual being sold stage meaning we have an interested buyer. I called T Mobile last week and asked if my old phone had been found....nope. How much longer do I need to wait? Hard to say? What was my options to switch my Alcatel phone? Pay off the final 5 months of the lease for the phone that I no longer have. Note: If i did have the phone, I probably would have just taken it into the store and asked to be put back on it. Since I don't have the phone, that is not an option and I continue to pay for a phone I don't have.

So there you have it my T Mobile friends. My wife has been asking me if I have heard back from T Mobile about if they found the phone and no i have not. I will be calling Tuesday, May 16th, and if it is not recovered then we both agree it is time to switch carriers. The sad thing is we both liked T Mobile but we both agree I need to get off my Alcatel phone. I feel like you are not giving me any options at this point. Sorry, but there is literally a Sprint store,

ATT store and Verizon stores all within minutes of where we live.

Have I tried all the different troubleshooting advice on here? No, not all of them. I did not do a complete reset this time because I am afraid of what it may do to me this time after the last time didn't work and seemed to make things worse. I can't afford to go without a phone, and don't feel I should have to keep trying gimmicks to make a bad phone work.

• magenta1376984

I have decided to go ahead and do a rebuild process again before I switch. I will let you know status later. I really hope this works. Thanks

• kpo6969

Good luck and take your time. Update all the store apps also and configure your phone fully before you go to update to the next build. The 4S doesn't quite act like the Lumia's.

• magenta1376984

Ok, took a long time and it doesn't want to update the build mentioned before. It indicates there is an update but keeps saying it failed.

Now I am nervous about installing any apps that say beta next to them. Are there any in particular I should avoid or all of them.

I have to go out of town a couple of days so will be a chance to see if this refresh helped.

• kpo6969

What build are you on now and are you in the Insider Program?

• magenta1376984

10.01563, and yes I am on insider program

• kpo6969

If you are on build 10.0.15063 that is the creator's update which is the latest public build or you are on release preview ring in the insider program. You could and I recommend going to the fast ring and updating to the latest build which was released just a few hours ago which is 10.0.15215.

I just updated to this with no issues.

• magenta1376984

I think I am done doing updating for right now. It seems like the last couple of times I have lost a function. I am actually very nervous about installing any new apps on the phone for fear it will make things worse. I honestly don't know what is safe anymore and why I asked if any of the beta apps were safe. I rely on this phone for when I travel, 2-3 trips per month, and I really can't afford to do anything that will impact my ability to communicate. The addition being we are selling the home.

I found out that after I did a reboot of the phone I was then able to connect to other wireless networks.

So, the question is that if everything works as long as I don't add any more apps does this mean the phone is fixed even though I am really not happy about not being able to use other apps? Do I need to check every time I want to add an app before I do? I am not being snarky here but feel this is what I am currently functioning other. I have had to deal with some rather funky rules with other companies regarding device replacement.

Also, quite frankly, the T Mobile local store staff have told me that others have reported issues with Alcatel phones so to simply replace may just mean going from one bad phone to another. I don't want to start over again on being stuck to using a phone with a history of having issues.

Like I said before, if I still had the phone that I shipped back but appears to be lost, I would have just gone back to the old phone and you would not have heard from me. Unfortunately, I don't have the phone so going back is not an option either even though I am still paying for it.

Just so very very frustrating and my wife is now upset with me because I decided to give the rebuild a try instead of switching companies.

Anyway, you have been responsive as best I guess you can so thank you for that.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

• magenta1376984

Okay, I am finding I can't connect to free wireless at airport or other locations like Starbucks that offer free wireless. I used to connect and it would open browser to accept terms. Now it won't do that and I desperately need this for traveling. I will need to connect at hotels I stay at.

I try by opening browser but it is like it does not want to connect.

Help! I really need internet connection on my phone via wireless.

• magenta1376984

I travel a lot via Southwest airlines and I am not able to get the app to display anything but a white screen

is that an app developer issue, phone issue or setting issue on phone that I can change.

• magenta1376984

Well, this may be my final posting on this topic. It will either mean my phone has been found at which point I am definitely going to move forward with switching phones or we have switched to a new carrier.

The good news: Since i have refreshed the phone and updated to the latest build, it does appear to be functioning better.

The bad news: I feel now I am at the point I am paying a premium for a phone that I am only using for doing texts and phone calls. I am not comfortable with adding any new apps because I can't afford to go back to the problems I was having before. This is ultimately the final decider on why I need to switch phones either through T Mobile (honestly, my wife and i prefer to stay) or to a different one.

For now, I am using a personal business iphone that I have with another carrier for some of the apps. I don't like doing this because I want to keep this primarily for business purposes only.

So I did want to provide feedback that the latest build does seem to have resolved the issues I was having with not getting text messages or voice messages. I just can't do much of anything else with it, or not comfortable because I don't know what is safe. I still can't use the Southwest app on it as an example so I removed it. I am not sure if that is a Southwest issue or a phone issue.

I have given up calling into T Mobile support because they admittedly have stated that unless my LG 5 phone is found there is not much they can do to help. I commend the T Mobile reps for trying their best and being understanding of my predicament and I am not angry at them. I just wish there was someone who could look at our account history, know we have and would love to continue to be good loyal customers, and find a way to resolve this matter whether the LG 5 phone is found or not.

We are moving to a new home in early June and at that point we will need to find a new internet provider. So we have decided to hold off making a change until then to see about getting a bundled package deal. This is also past the deadline that we have been given in which I will know if the phone is found or not.

thanks everyone

• tmo_marissa

This is such a bummer of a closing statement, magenta1376984 -- I hope it doesn't wind up being the actual end. I'm glad that the Alcatel is capable of basic functions again, but ultimately you get a smart phone to do more than just make calls and send messages, so I can appreciate why you're feeling done with this device after all the work you've put in to getting the least out of it. I know that LG G5's recovery would solve a big concern for you -- but the timeline does sound tight. The last handset research ticket that was filed, were we able to escalate that for you, given the time crunch that you're under and the length of time since the initial return of the G5? This escalation process isn't common, and requires an email sent to an offline team, but it can speed up the investigation into the phone's whereabouts, for sure. It's also worth checking to make sure you were never in an exchange or insurance claim process with the G5 -- one reason we see device returns (particularly for JUMP! equipment) slip through the cracks is because of an improper IMEI record on the EIP. When you process a warranty claim with us, or an insurance claim with Assurant, the IMEI on your EIP is updated automatically by the system. If for some reason you decide to keep your original and return the replacement, then the IMEI on your EIP no longer matches the phone in your hand, and because of that, the phone we look for when doing this kind of investigation wouldn't be an IMEI you had in your possession to return. Another complication can come if you've exchanged your phone with the manufacturer during that time, as sometimes they'll change the motherboard, which alters the IMEI -- if the new IMEI isn't reported to T-Mobile, it creates the same situation where we're looking for last IMEI on our files but that wouldn't match the phone that you sent.

I know this is a lot of extra info, but I just want to put it all out there in case any of these ideas triggers some memory that could lead to the recovery of this device and your EIP finally being closed out!

- Marissa

• magenta1376984

Thanks for asking. I had thought the search for the LG 5 was being escalated but when I called in last week the CS rep indicated that it was going through the normal process and I should not expect anything back until about May 28th or so. So actually taking as long as would be normal is my understanding.

I had not submitted a lost phone claim since I was using my Jump feature on my account to actually go from the LG 5 to the Alcatel 4s. The reviews at the time, December 2016, seemed to be pretty positive for the Alcatel 4s phone so i thought I would give it a try. I actually did not know the LG 5 phone was "lost" until I came to the T Mobile office close to me and they stated then that according to your records I still had the phone and I was still paying for it. Which, yes, I am still paying for it. So neither the store reps nor the reps I have spoken to over the phone have been able to do anything. Nada...zip...nothing...because according to your records I still own the phone. Which of course if I did, I would already have switched to the LG 5 several weeks ago. I really had no issues with it, I just wanted to try the new Windows based phone. Simple as that. As I have mentioned, my inclination was to surrender the LG 5 to the store reps and they were ready to accept it but the CS reps on the phone that I was ordering the Alcatel phone through, since it was not available in the store, insisted that i return the phone via mail. So, I used your box, with your label, and followed your instructions, and now the phone is apparently lost.

I appreciate your understanding of my predicament and why I really want to switch to an Android based phone and a company, in this case Samsung, that I have a good history with. I would even go back to the LG phone if I could. I would even go to an iPhone, or most any other phone other than an Alcatel phone for now.

So thanks again for understanding, but unfortunately understanding isn't solving my problems with this phone.

• tmo_marissa

Ah, drat -- I know we can't access your account ourselves, so you're right; understanding isn't solving the problem -- but I'll admit I was hoping that maybe the idea of us looking for the wrong IMEI would spur something and get us on the right track to finding the phone you returned so long ago! Do you remember what the label looked like? A JUMP! return label (also called an "RMA" or "Return Merchandise Authorization" label) should have a long number on it that starts with TMU, and should be addressed to Pennsylvania. Upgrade shipments also include a label to our recycling center in Texas. The process to research a return differs depending on where the phone was shipped. If your JUMP! return was shipped appropriately to the PA warehouse, then a Handset Research Form may not even be needed to check for the IMEI; some offline teams have access to a database where they can review IMEI logs for that warehouse in real time, it's just a matter of Care or T-Force reaching out for support. If it was shipped by accident using the Texas label, then a regular Handset Research Form may not be enough information for that team to know where to look -- an escalation email sent on your behalf would be paramount to getting the matter resolved.

Again, although this kind of investigation is past the limitation of ways we can assist in the Support Community, we at least want to give you some insight into the process so we can make sure that our account-facing teams are doing everything that we can to locate this phone so that your EIP can be closed and you can JUMP! to something else!

- Marissa

• magenta1376984

Well here we are, May 31st and the deed has been done. I am officially off of the Alcatel 4s phone and I have moved to the Samsung 8. The good news is T Mobile found the phone I shipped back in December, I told you I did, and I am no longer paying for that phone and I was able to switch to a new device without having to switch carriers.

So all is good, still with T Mobile, just a different phone, and very happy to hand deliver the Alcatel phone to the store rep. In the future, there will be no more sending phones back to you via the mail, no matter what you tell me. Thanks for hanging with me through my complaining.

• tmo_marissa

Ahhh! I was offline for a long weekend and this was at the tail end of my unread inbox items when I returned this morning, and I have to say, I am thrilled to read it! I'm so glad that we located the device -- paying for something you don't have is absolutely awful! It's great to hear that you were able to upgrade (and what an upgrade, indeed!) and are still with us. Thank you for staying so engaged here and for all the effort you put in to getting this resolved! What an awesome update, thanks for returning to let us know!

- Marissa