Something that must be talked about...

dragon1562

So let me start off by saying that I love t-mobile, the employees and the forum but there is a issue that i feel should be pointed out since I feel that it can improve the forum and it has to do with answers that get marked correct by employees. I don't want to mention names but I do have screen capped examples in which answers get marked correct that are not a solution to the problem. Basically I want to ask whats the criteria for marking a answer right and have you guys ever considered a system in which both a user or employee can't mark themselves right.

Its just something to consider for the long term of the site and I apologize if this is in the wrong thread I just felt it was something that should probably be discussed.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Something that must be talked about...

Hey, dragon1562!  I feel like it would be easier to speak to these decisions on a case-by-case basis, since I think it depends on the situation, but the short answer is that there are definitely times where finding the right answer is easy, and then there are times that it can be tricky. 

In a perfect world, our preference would always be that the original poster return to mark an answer correct (and of course, that another Community member or a Community Manager provides a correct answer).  Sometimes the original poster doesn't return, even if we check in multiple times.  In the previous version of the Support Community, we had the ability to mark a thread "assumed answered" when that happened, but that option doesn't exist anymore - so now we need to find the best answer available.  Sometimes, if it's been a while since the post was created and the OP hasn't logged back in, the interim answer might just be the first troubleshooting step - so that the OP can return if they wish, unmark the answer, and reply. 

If that's the kind of situation you're seeing, then I totally understand.  It's something we knew was going to look a little different once the new Community launched, but we're trying to avoid placing a blanket answer on posts that haven't been active in a few weeks and just bailing on them.  Instead, checking in a few times and then picking the best option seems at least a little more personal - and potentially helpful to other folks who may happen upon the thread with the same question.

In other situations, the answer marked Correct may be marked because we've reached the limitations of what we can do in a user forum, so we'll mark the Contact request as correct.  In many of our DIGITS threads, for example, the reply we send prior to PMing a user so that we can collect their information to file a Bug report is what gets marked as Correct. 

I'd definitely be interested to know what other scenarios you have questions about - if you'd like to PM me specifics I'm happy to go over them with you! 

- Marissa

• dragon1562

thank you for the reply I will Private messenge you here shortly. Although I plan to leave this unanswered just for a short bit longer incase any other user feels the need to post. Also i'm happy that you pointed out that the functionality of assumed answered is gone which is kind of a shame since it was a nice middle ground.

Maybe in the future there can be stable guidelines as things get ironed out so their won't be confusion but i'll go ahead and message you now .

• I also wonder why T-Mobile employees are ranked. A badge or signature I understand. Even Verizon doesn't rank their employees so much as give them participation points. Even then the reps are part of a collective and not individuals except in name only.

• tmo_marissa

Hey dragon1562 and snn_555 - I just wanted to touch base with both of you and let you know that we hear you.  It's your community, and there isn't a reason for us to clutter up the ranks.  Our sweet gamification maestro tmo_chris is already working on removing us from the leaderboard, and we're going to see what we can do about implementing the rest of this feedback, too.  Thank you guys so much - please keep it coming!

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful