No coverage at workplace

richierichprojectx

I cannot get consistent coverage at my workplace. I work at a food plant and a very prominent food company. In my office, i get one bar with very slow speeds around 0.54 Mbps. My work phone (Verizon) gets around 14 Mbps at the same location with each phone next to one another. My T-mobile will sometimes even go out and have a no signal display. My line is working off of band 12 and the work phone is off of band 13. I thought band 12 was to reach further places and into buildings better. That doesn't seem to be the case with this. I've called several times and i am told the tower is functioning properly. Something has to give. Is band 12 not good enough to reach my location? Why does band 13 reach out better than 12? Could it be my phone/hardware? I am just confused why i am not getting anything even with band 12 being activated in my area. Are there plans to continue working on it? The location of tower is in Napoleon, Ohio 43545. My work address is 12772 State Route 110, Napoleon, OH 43545. Any information would be helpful. I would like to use my T-mobile line and not my work phone.

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: No coverage at workplace

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to Support!

Have you had a chance to go through any troubleshooting directly with a tech representative? What device are you using? Does your plant have WiFi? Has your signal ever been stronger in the location?

We'll figure out where to go from there!

-Lauren

• richierichprojectx

Lauren,

The phone is an IPhone SE. I have called the tech support line several times and have gone through numerous steps. The plant does have Wifi but is designated for the work laptops. The signal has been the same and so has the speeds as i mentioned above. I am just confused as to why the speeds would differ between my work phone (Verizon) and my T-mobile line when both signals are coming from the same tower. That is why i asked if band 13 would get better reception than band 12. Plus my signal is lost and i get a No signal on my phone. That is just not what i pictured band 12 to do once it was activated in this area.

• drnewcomb2

richierichprojectx wrote:

. I am just confused as to why the speeds would differ between my work phone (Verizon) and my T-mobile line when both signals are coming from the same tower. That is why i asked if band 13 would get better reception than band 12.

The signals may come from the same "tower" but they come from different antennas on different frequencies, with different power levels, bandwidths and orientations. Are you sure that T-Mobile has 700 MHz LTE (band-12) service on that particular tower? One thing to keep in mind is that Verizon's band-13 signal is 10x10 MHz, In over 95% of markets, T-Mobile's band-12 signal is 5x5 MHz. The capacity of a 5x5 LTE signal is about 1/3 of a 10x10 signal. Also, T-Mobile practices very conservative RF engineering. They usually use lower power levels and more pronounced antenna tilt than other carriers to minimize cell overlap, cochannel interference and pilot pollution.  On top of this, iPhones don't have the best rep for RF sensitivity.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
            • tmo_marissa

Hey, richierichprojectx! I just wanted to check in with you and see if you'd had a chance to look over the questions tmo_lauren asked above. We'd love to know a little more about any troubleshooting taken prior to checking the tower's functionality - it would also be great to know whether or not a ticket was filed that would allow engineering to report back with details, or if we're simply reviewing the map and advising that no outages are listed. Can you fill in a little information for us? Thanks!

- Marissa

• richierichprojectx

Marissa,

I had replied to Lauren. I have gone through numerous phone calls with tech support to get as much information in regards to my situation. I have gone through several things and nothing has changed. Like i have mentioned, both phones are getting signal from the same tower. I am not understanding how i lose signal periodically and getting slow speeds compared to the work phone (Verizon) which was an iphone 5.

• tmo_marissa

I know it seems odd that the signal would vary when both are coming from the same tower, richierichprojectx -- both drnewcomb2 and dragon1562 have great insights here as to a few reasons why. Sometimes when we have service complaints filed through our Tech team, our engineers will actually return results outlining reasons for the existing coverage similar to the ones that DrN pointed out above -- for example, stating that the antenna points past the location in question and may not provide direct coverage. I was curious as to whether you'd had a ticket filed for this exact reason; sometimes the detailed feedback can be super helpful in that it provides the "why" you're (understandably) asking here. While we can give you some examples of possible reasons, we're not able to tell you for sure!
                      If this isn't coverage as expected at your office's location, the ticket will alert our engineering team to that so that we can get a fix in place. It sounds like you've spent a lot of time on the phone - have you had a chance to file one of these tickets yet? I hate telling you to reach back out again if one is already in the works!

- Marissa

• richierichprojectx

Marissa,

I have not had a ticket submitted for the specific reason you had detailed to me. Tickets have been submitted in the past for this problem and i always get a reply that the engineers could not find anything wrong with the tower/signal. Would asking about the direction of the antenna better assist them? I can call and request for another look at it. Band 12 does exist here because i have put my phone into field mode and confirmed what band my phone was on and which one the Verizon phone was on. Just disappoints me about the situation that one phone gets a signal and the other doesn't get one or a constant connection.

• tmo_marissa

I apologize that my post was not clear - I meant that a possible detailed response from engineering was the reason I was asking about a ticket, not to imply that "antenna direction" is a reason a ticket might be filed. We file tickets any time the coverage experienced by our customers doesn't match up with the expected network performance in an area, so the "reason" listed will still need to be that there's no network connection. But sometimes our engineering replies will include details that explain that location or direction are the cause of the issue. I can't guarantee that it's an option, but I do think that reaching back out and asking if a previous ticket can be escalated can't hurt, since the response you're receiving doesn't really seem to match up with the experience you're having! It may depend on the responses on the previous tickets, but it's worth a shot!

- Marissa

• dragon1562

There are a lot of variables that can effect the signal that you receive from a carrier. The biggest factor is the location of the tower to where you are. I must ask what coverage is like when you step outside the office? Is it weak there as well? If so then its just a issue of you not having a good line of sight to the tower. If the signal is strong then its your building that is interfering with the coverage and there is not much T-mobile or any wireless carrier can do. What you can do on your end however is take advantage of wifi calling if it is available to you.

At some point things will get better T-mobile has been doing a lot of work on their network and they just finished a huge spectrum auction. If you get the chance you should attempt to answer the questions that tmo_marissa and @tmo_lauren asked you since they will be able to help you further.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                          • richierichprojectx

I understand the line of sight and all the other variables. Does that mean that band 12 is just a weak band and falsely advertised? My work phone (verizon) and my personal phone (t-mobile) both get signal from the same tower. I am just curious as to why one would work consistently with favorable speeds and the other is losing signal periodically and giving me unacceptable speeds especially when both are coming from the same location. As i said, the verizon is working off of band 13. Not sure if that would make a difference compared to band 12.

• drnewcomb2

I think what you may be seeing is the affect of differing network design philosophies. T-Mobile uses a very conservative RF design philosophy that trades signal strength for higher throughput. This happens when you minimize cell overlap and cochannel interference. With only 5x5 MHz of low-band, T-Mobile can't afford to give up a lot to pilot pollution.