Wi-Fi issues

am321

I'm experiencing some Wi-Fi issues. I connect to my network, but then 10 seconds later it disconnects. Then approximately 20 seconds later it reconnect me to the network. It keps doing that to the point I cannot use the Wi-Fi at all. Is anybody else experiencing any Wi-Fi issues? Or this specific Wi-Fi issue? Also, do you know if there is going to be an OTA fix for this?If so then when?

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: Wi-Fi issues

Try resetting network settings. Also I would try restarting the router while your at it. Just turn it off and unplug it for 40 secs then re plug it back in and turn it on and see what happens.

• am321

It's more than that. If you search Wi-Fi issues S8 on Google, you will see articles talking about this. A bunch of people reported this issue, and a bunch of different Wi-Fi issues. Supposably, Samsung knows about this, but they claim it's not really a big issue other than an OTA. But who really knows, Samsung never officially released any statement about it. Just articles cleaning this.

Not to mention I called Samsung about this, and the women on the phone had no idea what she was doing. She immediately transferred me to a manager, without telling me anything. The manager ended up telling me that it's not in their system, and they know nothing about it. He said that he will be making a bug report, and they will look into it, and fix it as soon as possible. Also, the articles I mention came out around the same time I called Samsung, and after. One article even says this week they're going to come out with an OTA to fix the Wi-Fi, and also the known red tint issue(which I don't have tint problem).

So I was wondering, maybe, someone officially from T-Mobile in the community. Or just another T-Mobile customer, can confirm that an OTA is coming to fix the issues. Or at that the issue is at least known, and they're working to fix it. I just need some clarification on this. Because it's unacceptable that a brand new device comes out. I get a complete replacement device, and both devices the original one from a direct T-Mobile stoe, and the replacement device are both doing this. I mean I thought they would have these type of issues at least under control before release of a brand new phone!

• am321

Also, by the way I did reset my router at least three times. Not to mention, I ruled out that it was my router/internet by testing other devices. Such as another family member in the house Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+, my Sony 4K Android TV, iMac, and Surface Pro 3. So they all worked flawless with no issues. Even the TV was playing 4K videos on Netflix, with no issues.

Also not to mention, I started noticing this on my home private Network. But then as I started trying to connect to other networks, I keep experiencing the same thing. I tried my home private Network, my work private network, the mall public Wi-Fi, and a few friends private network at their house. But the exact same issue still occurred. So I'm starting to see it's not my router, and it's clearly the phone here.

• dragon1562

Sorry for not replying till now. I was on google today and i believe Samsung is aware of the issue atleast with the Asian Version of the device and they have sent out a update to fix some of the bugs. Honestly based on everything that you did just inform me it is definitely the phone and as such I would call Samsung to demand a resolution. Maybe have them send you out another device again since the past two have been duds. I am personally not having any issues on my device but i did not install any updates when getting it which includes the day one update.

I would tell you to try reinstalling the OS but since its under warranty it would be easier for you just to request a new device from Samsung or from T-mobile and try your luck again rather then waiting to see if its just a software bug(which i'm fairly confident that it is). I'm sorry that I could be of much more help but this is just one of those things that can happen with new products and it seems you got the short end like I did when i got the Note 4 way back when.

• edwin344

I'm having the same issue with Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. Also, it has trouble finding a wifi network, even in an area where I know that there are dozens available.

I've done all of the tips and tricks to no avail, but the only thing thst works is pulling the battery when the device is on, waiting a minute, and putting it back in .... it's called something like "hard reset?"

This all started after the t-mobile system update a couple of weeks ago.

Ed

• tmo_chris

am321 - I do not see this specific issue listed as a known issue for the S8 at this time. I really appreciate all the troubleshooting you have already completed. At this point, I would do as dragon1562 suggested and pursue a warranty exchange with us. This specific issue is definitely a manufacturer defect so we can replace this under the warranty we honor.

edwin344- The issue you are having sounds a bit different since you are unable to find the network when searching. The battery pull you are doing is essentially rebooting your phones SW and forcing it to search for Wi-Fi again. What we could try and do is do a system cache wipe on your phone to refresh the way your phone performs specific actions like searching for Wi-Fi. The cache wipe will not harm any of your personal information so there is no need to worry. Please use these steps to do the cache wipe.

• tmo_chris

Hey edwin344,

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Did you get a chance to try the cache wipe?

• am321

The thing is, 611 support told me that it's bigger than anything any phone can fix right now. Also, multiple people are having this problem even in different continents. Which on other web sites I've posted this same question and got results as such. Then if you do a little bit of Google research with this problem. In Korea they supposedly released a Wi-Fi update to fix this problem. Even you guys on the phone said that they see now that WiFi is a problem in your servers when searching this. They said that there were a whole page here of errors with the S8 and this got added to the list.

So I really appreciate you checking back on me. But at the same time, I don't think there's anything you're going to be able to do to help me. Unless you would like to try to talk with higher up people at T-Mobile. Who could then try to get something done, to get a fix for this. If you pull up my account you can see I've called plenty of times on the phone, and you can see they agree with what I'm saying. They just say I have to wait for something to happen. I've also contacted Samsung plenty of times, and gotten absolutely nowhere! They don't admit nothing! They don't admit Yes, No, Maybe, I don't know, absolutely nothing! All they advised me to do is send in the S8. For a minimum of two weeks, and can take longer, so I declined!

I know you guys at T-Mobile have a special Department, that if you call customer support many times there's a special separtment that may call you and help you out!(which I got a call from that department yesterday myself). When I ask to speak to Samsung's version of that department, they don't even answer me on that either. So I'm assuming they don't have a department like that!

Again, I know you're just trying to help, and I appreciate that! But I'm in limbo here because all the people, and it doesn't matter which carrier you have, who has this issue needs a feasible answer, and the issue fixed. Not just getting bounced back and forth between the carrier and Samsung. Which I clearly know T-Mobile would help me if they could, and they're doing everything on the phone, on their end that they could to help me! It's just Samsung fault at the end of the day!

• tmo_chris

I know this has got to be super frustrating am321 The thing is, while you have been able to find reports of this issue on the web, it is not a 100% failure with all Galaxy S8 devices or we would be seeing a ton of calls into our care teams and more posts about this in the community. You have done everything you possibly could have from calling Samsung to reporting the issue to us to make us aware. At this point, my recommendation is going to be calling our tech support and having your phone replaced again. As much as I want to guarantee this will fix your issue (since others in this thread are not seeing it with their S8), I don't want to jinx it but the odds are that you will not have the same issue.

• am321

The thing is, I called T-Mobile on the phone plenty of times. On the phone they have told me that other people have called in about this specific issue. The same thing for a Samsung representative. Both of you guys acknowledge that people have been calling in. Even the Samsung representative went as far as saying other brand Android phones are having the same issue as well. Your representatives multiple times on the phone, had told me there's nothing we can do because they get their information from Samsung directly. But they did acknowledge that there is an issue based on people calling in to 611. T-Mobile as well as that one Samsung representative, both told me that an over the air update has to come. Again in another country Samsung as already officially acknowledged the same exact issue. Even send out an OTA in that country all ready to deal with this specific Wi-Fi issue. It's just that, the representatives I speak to from Samsung and T-Mobile both, don't know what is going to happen, and T-Mobile in Samsung as a whole company doesn't acknowledge this. But certain individual representatives on the phone from both companies, do acknowledge this because they personally delt with the same exact issue, with other customers prior to me. Also, if you check the notes for my account you will see that T-Mobile had told me that there's nothing they can do to help me, and to contact Samsung because all the information they would be giving me anyway comes from Samsung. Plus this is a manufacturer issue not a carrier or signal problem. Which makes complete sense as to why the contact Samsung.

All I'm saying this is a brand new device, which is supposed to be the top of the line device on the market, but you're not able to fix something that should never happened in the first place! And I mean even if it was an issue the device has been out for a few weeks already. It should have already been fixed! To me this is completely unacceptable!

But obviously because there was an update for this exact specific Wi-Fi issue in the Korean market. I'm assuming that Samsung is going to release T-Mobile/USA variant of the same OTA that was released in Korea. What is going on supposedly is there's a fault in the wireless access point of the carrier. That is causing this Wi-Fi issue that I'm experiencing. Which only for the Korean market Samsung has fully acknowledged, and released an OTA for this issue.

• am321

It just seems like nobody has an answer for me, good or bad. They can't even tell me I do not know. I mean there should be better responses then absolutely nothing about this, including I do not know was not even an answer. At least give us a reasonable answer instead of just letting us hang to dry. Is that too much to ask after we pay money for monthly service, and dish out a lot of money to get a brand new top of the line phone?! I mean even if they don't know what the situation is yet, but they're working on a fix to fix the problem. I rather hear them telling me that, then T-Mobile and Samsung booth not giving me any answers at all!

• tmo_chris

I am truly sorry that you are experiencing this issue and I assure you that if I had a way to fix it for you right now, I totally would. If you reported this issue to Samsung, they will most likely start tracking it and work toward a fix. Since you also called us about this issue, we will be reporting it back to Samsung and working with them in any way we can to ensure a speedy resolution. I cannot provide you with a timeline as I just don't have one What I can recommend doing is following the S8 space here in the community so you can get notified of any updates to the software page. You will receive email notifications when any change is made to that page and you can be ready to check for updates on your device.

• am321

That is not really an answer I'm looking to hear. I don't want a specific timetable, or date. I just want you to let me know if there's even going to be an update? without any date information. Or what I can do to fix this?! 611 already told me that I can keep exchanging the phone till I'm blue in the face and it's not going to be fixed. Unless Samsung themselves either says just an OTA is needed, or they deem the Wi-Fi cards in the phone faulty. If that's the case then they need to either replace the Wi-Fi card with an updated Wi-Fi card, not part of the faulty batch on the same device that I have now. Or Samsung or T-Mobile need to send me a new device with a new Wi-Fi card not part of the faulty batch of Wi-Fi cards.

Because right now Samsung and T-Mobile booth, are basically just leaving me hanging to dry. Which at the moment seems like there's no fix, no resolution, and no plans to even work on the resolution for this issue. Which they should be looking into this, if again like I said it in another reply above. That Samsung already knowledges this issue in the Korean market, and even already sent out an OTA. Again for this specific Wi-Fi issue I am having. So whether it's in the United States, in Korea, in Europe or wherever. It's clear that I'm not the only one to have this issue.

If I were you I would take this to T-Mobile corporate, and try to help me and other people having this issue on T-Mobile in United States. Because I'm clearly not the only person. Because talking here, and calling into Samsung and T-Mobile, many many many times has got me absolutely nowhere thus far! Which I don't think is right! Me being an 11 year customer with T-Mobile, I would think I would get much better service and treated much better.

• dragon1562

Hey I just wanted to say that anyone who reads this thread can understand your frustration. I also wanted to say that what your asking for is not unreasonable... you paid good money for a product that you expect to work. I also have my own personal hatred towards Samsung but for different reasons then the one concerning you at the moment. I honestly feel that your best option is to request a new phone. I know that it is a pain transferring the info from device to device but you should request a new one since I still to this day have not had any issues with my devices connectivity.

I also want to point out that hounding T-mobile won't help you much since it is Samsung who makes the device, the only thing T-mobile can do is try to help you resolve the issue. Since you have been calling in so much you should request to be transferred to higher ups when talking to T-mobile and try to be calm and respectful. Also take advantage of the Samsung + care app on your phone. Use it to call Samsung and report the issue that your having because when I called about a different issue I was having involving a carrier unlock request they asked me about my experience and such for future updates for the device.

Again no one is trying to make you feel like your alone its just that the majority of people on this form will only have information that you can probably attain yourself and there is no specific answer to give. Based on everything though I just think you have had some bad luck with the device. Also to clarify one thing for you the US variant of the device is different from the ones sold around the world and thus there issues do not reflect problems that may be seen in the US.

• am321

I don't know if you read the original post above period but I've already gotten a new phone. I'm on my third device. The original phone I purchased, and tgen 2 exchanged devices after that. That's why I T-Mobile 611 like I mention, said I can keep exchanging my phone to return blue in the face. It's obviously not going to be fixed. They said that if I already exchanged my phone 2 times, that it should fix itself. But the fact that it didn't fix itself, means that it's more than likely a bug in the operating system.

I mean after I dish out a lot of money, all I'm asking is for a simple answer if they're even acknowledging this problem. I'm not asking for when it's going to be fixed, how long it's going to be fixed, or a specific date. I'm just asking if this problem is even acknowledged. I can't even get a yes, no, or I don't know answer. When I call you're just beat around the bush every single time. I mean they should be able to know if they're at least working on a fix. I mean I'm not asking them to give me a specific date, or even a timetable.

After already switching my phones out, I think me asking this is a very reasonable thing to ask.

• dragon1562

Look i have been following your thread since day one and if you read my reply I mentioned how its a pain to transfer info over to a new device and such... but i still believe you should get a new device. Forget what they said and go that route so that at the very least you may get a phone that works properly.

Also as mentioned T-mobile reps are not going to have a clue what your talking about unless you talk to the higher ups... which i'm not sure if you have done based on everything that has been said thus far. You need to call T-mobile talk the rep, explain everything and ask for your case to be escalated. You will get a call center in the US and at this point listen and do as the person asks and if that doesn't resolve  the issue request to be transferred even higher.

Also talk to Samsung and report the issue and make them citate it on your account, you should also record the time of the call, rep you spoke to with id number if they have one, and trouble ticket if one is filed. This way you can bring it up for future reference. I know this is frustrating but its what you gotta do if you want a appropriate resolution. No one on this forum is likely to have the power to help you and thus you must deal with T-mobile and more so Samsung on this issue.

• am321

I've already done everything you mentioned. I'm not new to this type of thing. I've even spoken to tier two managers and everything from T-Mobile. I'm also very tech savvy, and I know a lot of stuff. The reason I'm posting in here is because I would like an answer, just if they're working on a fix. But apparently I can't even get that answer. I already have a ticket open with Samsung for about 2 weeks now.

T-Mobile claims there's absolutely nothing they can do for me. The reason for that is because they claim that all the information they have about these type of issues, come directly from Samsung. So they said to save time, and to get the most up to date and accurate information is to call Samsung. Plus they're not the device manufacturer, just providing the service for the device. So that is also another reason why they said to contact on the Samsung. This is coming from a tier 2 manager, on T-Mobile's end.

Also, about the ticket I have with Samsung. That ticket means absolutely nothing to them. It's like they read the ticket, and then they give me basic generic responses back to me, that has absolutely nothing to do with my problem. A lot of times, they even contradict, or ask me what is already answered in the ticket. Also, the ticket says in there that I have exhausted every basic and advanced troubleshooting support. Also, the woman from Samsung who created my trouble ticket, about a week before I called in had 2 separate incidences, one for a Galaxy S8, and one for a Galaxy S7 with the same exact Wi-Fi issues I'm having. She even wrote in the ticket, for other representatives to believe me when I talk about the Wi-Fi issue. Because again she personally had two people that called in about the same exact issue. She Also went went out on a limb to discredit other Samsung employees because she was telling me that they were not believing what I was saying about the Wi-Fi. Plus they were reading off some lies to me supposably, but she believe me because of her personal experience with other callers and this specific issue. Other than this one woman, every single person I spoke to including managers in tier 2. They told me the only option they have for me is to send my phone into Samsung. They claim they know nothing about this issue at all. They wanted to basically use my phone to be a test dummy to figure out the problem. They want to keep my phone for a minimum of two weeks. I keep telling them no, and at this point I have no other option with them at all according to Samsung.

Also, besides T-Mobile telling me to contact Samsung for this issue. They also told me that they got a handful of calls into their service center about the specific Wi-Fi issue. So even though Samsung hasn't officially said something about it, people have been calling in at least two T-Mobile about it because on their end it's a known issue. But it's not an official issue, and won't be an official issue to Samsung makes it an official issue. They also advised me against sending in my phone. The reason for that is because they said that because I swapped out my device twice. T-Mobile claims, which makes a lot of logical sense that be the same as if I were to send my device into the Samsung service center. Then they switch out a part/component on the device and then send me back the same exact device with the same IMEI. T-mobile said that actually it's better swapping out the phone, because instead of just swapping out one part/component of the phone I'm getting every single internal part new. T-Mobile tells me that after the first Xchange it should have already been fixed. But since I've got to that's even a much bigger concern.

So at the moment I've accomplished absolutely nothing with this issue. Every time I call I'm just going in circles at this point now. Samsung is basically doing absolutely nothing about this problem. Plus I know for a fact I'm not the only one having this issue. I know this first off because the Samsung representative telling me, plus she even wrote it in the ticket. Then I also went on other sites and type the same question. I've got in a few people in United States tell me that the same exact issue. I've also even had one person in the European region tell me they had the same exact Wi-Fi issue as well. Not to mention Samsung has already officially acknowledged this, and even send out an OTA  for the same exact issue in another region. So I mean it's clearly an issue here!

• am321

So I just called Samsung again. Today for the first time ever I got to speak to the customer relations department. Before getting transferred to that department, the representative who helped me told me he personally got people calling in for my exact WiFi issues. This is now the second Samsung representative to tell me people are calling in for this issue. The first representative form a few weeks ago told me that the Galaxy S7 and S8 both have issues that she personally got calls about. The other lady from a few weeks ago, even went out on a limb to say that other phone manufacturers that use Android operating system I also experiencing the same exact issue.

When I spoke to the customer relations department, they told me the same exact thing like every other department which is to send my device in. They told me that is the only option I have even after I replace my device twice. I'm even willing to get my fourth replacement device from T-Mobile. They even told me that even if I were to exchange my phone 10 times, hypothetically speaking only option I have would be to send in the phone to Samsung, nothing else.

So the reality of this all is that I'm basically stuck here. With no option other than sending the phone in, which will require me to remain without a device for a minimum of 2 weeks. So I honestly do not know what to do, because I'm refusing to send my device in! Because common sense here after I swapped my device twice, the phone should be working now! I'm also having some Android OS setting issues as well. With things getting turned on or off on their own every few minutes. Which also happened across all three devices I've owned.

So obviously there's something going on here! Something more to the story than what Samsung is telling me! But at least for the time being, I'm done calling Samsung and getting the same repetitive answers. Which gets me absolutely nowhere, and we just go in circles!

• dragon1562

Just wanted to ask when you get the new devices are you restoring them from the previous faulty ones or are you setting them up as a new phone

• am321

Each and every time I'm setting it up as a new phone. The only thing I do is I log into my Gmail account and retrieve my Gmail, phone contacts, and calendar. Everything else is new, including the Wi-Fi passwords. I don't even use the old saved Wi-Fi passwords from before. Then for the apps, I just redownload them from the store.