Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Nougat Update

raharris63

I just updated my Tmobile note 5 April 23, to Nougat and I notice if I have a missed call I cannot make a call. It just hangs up every time I dial until I restart my phone. This is a hassel.

Anyone else? Anyone know a fix?

All replies

• recoiler

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Nougat Update

Bump.  I didn't think this was related to the update, but now that you mention it, it's been doing the same thing to me...  I now have 2 major problems since the update: Nougat, Bluetooth car media issue 

• recoiler

I'm hesitant to say Fixed, but I tried wiping cache partition, and now missed calls don't prevent me from placing outgoing calls after anymore.

Here's how:

1. Turn off and shut down phone completely.

2. Hold Volume UP + HOME + Power all together until it boots to a light blue screen and says  "Installing system update"

3. Let go of buttons and wait, it will say "No command" with a dead android looking icon... don't panic, just continue waiting and in about 10 seconds it takes you to the Default Android Recovery. 

4. Navigate, using Volume up/down keys to the  "Wipe Cache Partition" and press the power button. 

5. Then select "yes" again with volume and power button to confirm. 

6. Then just select "Reboot" with power key again.

I haven't tried it long term but I have tried recreating the scenario and it seems to be resolved for me now...  will keep you posted if that changes.

• recoiler

So it started this problem again...  Only work arounds I know of are to 1. turn off wifi and place the call    or 2. Reboot the phone  This sucks either way

• balanbro

Go to Settings>Connections>Mobile Networks>Network Operators, then click "Select automatically".  This will allow you ta make calls again, albeit temporarily.  This workaround will have to do until this gets fixed.  Does T-Mobile check these posts?

• magenta2328031

Me and my wife both have Note 5's with the same issue. I had spent hours on the phone with T mobile and Samsun, both parties will blame each other without giving a real solution other than replacing the phones. FYI my phone was replaced and is already doing the same thing, I believe we can look for a different route to solve this issue. Maybe force t mobile for money back due to lack of service or who knows maybe there has been situations were people has lost a lot more than money because their phones didn't work for the basic operations.

• magenta1364984

Same here. Ever since the update, at least once per day, I have to restart my phone. I've also had POP email issues and a bunch of different apps crashing even after updating them and poor battery life.

• amc2002

Same here. This is a disaster.

• tmo_chris

This is a super weird issue indeed! I am not seeing this particular issue listed as a known issue with the recent update so performing a cache wipe is a great first step. Another thing that I could recommend is a full master reset of the phone after the Nougat update as I have seen great success with full resets after large updates on Android. Be sure to backup your data before the reset as this specific reset will clear everything and we don't want you to lose your important files/contacts.

• amc2002

Once it was clear this was going to continue, a full "master reset" was the first thing I did, especially considering it was a full version update. I figured perhaps something wasn't compatible. I even tried not installing all my apps.

It did not solve the issue. I am still experiencing it with a full "master reset," including wiping all my data (music, pictures, etc.).

I hope T-Mobile is going to investigate this further.

• exiledmonarch

I am experiencing the same problem. I go to dial out and the phone pulls the call screen up and instantly says "Call Ended" then eventually exits the call screen back to contacts. However, I haven't noticed any particular actions that could start this. Just today, my phone started to do it, I left it alone for 15 minutes and all of a sudden the issue fixed itself. A few hours later, after taking a few phone calls and making a few phone calls, it's back to the "Call Ended" ordeal.

Problems Incurred w/ Nougat Update:

1. Outgoing phone calls, going instantly to a "Call Ended" notice.

2. Google Play Store crashes throughout the day for no reason, I don't even have the app open, it's crashing as it runs in the background.

3. Battery life has dwindled. By dwindled I mean cut in half. It ridiculous how much my battery drains now.

Solutions Tried:

1. I did "Wipe Cache Partition" from the android boot menu. (This did NOT work)

2. I just right now did a full factory reset from the android boot menu. (Haven't tried it  long enough to fix it.)

This basically renders my phone useless as I run two businesses off it. This only started happening immediately after the Nougat update. T-Mobile, seems to be completely unaware of this issue as I spoke with Tech Support twice and they were at a loss.

They need to fix this issue quick, as I understand and read somewhere that this wasn't a true Nougat update, but an update pushed by Samsung for their own version of Nougat.

• exiledmonarch

I am just following up to my original post from yesterday. As of now I have not ran into the calling issue after doing the Factory Reset from the boot menu. I installed all of my apps immediately after rebooting the phone and all apps are working properly.

However, I do have to report one NEW problem. Immediately after the Nougat update, I stated one of the issues I was incurring was the battery draining quickly. After my Factory Reset, the battery is draining even faster. With that said, here is a check list of things I have done to try and correct the issue which seem to have no bearing on the battery being drained.

1. Turned off WiFi, Location, Bluetooth, Sound, NFC and WiFi Calling.

2.Under settings in "Device Maintenance", I've gone ahead and "Optimized" to 100%. Additionally under "Device Maintenance", then under "Battery" I've selected "Power Saving Mode" to be set to "Mid".

3. I've also select a few apps to not run in the background.

4. Reduced brightness to 50%

Right now, with medium use. My battery is set to go dead in about 6 hours. Prior to this, I could have a 100% charge first thing in the morning and have a heavy day of usage, and be at about 20%-30% by midnight.

This phone has become useless, and now I've spent an easy 12 hours between the updates, the wipes, the resets, T-Mobile support and having to reorganize my phone and apps every single time.

• aleshah

I'm having this issue too as well as my husband. The only way to work around right now is to restart the phone or turn off and on WiFi. Please fix!

• raharris63

I did a master reset and I don't have this problem anymore. It is a hassle and make sure everything is backed up. But I know longer have this out going call problem. On occasion some of my apps do not start quite right but that's a small thing.

Thanks Chris

• exiledmonarch

Just an update. The last thing I did was a full factory reset. I did encounter the calling issue the next day. However, the phone is working fine now. I only encountered the problem once.

The battery issue has also been fixed. I'm not sure if their was an additional update or the phone worked it's issues out.

So for now all problems seemed to be solved.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, folks! A fix was released for the intermittent calling issues a few days ago -- we just wanted to check back in and see how you're doing! Please let us know if you're still having trouble, or if things are going more smoothly with the latest Note5 software update. Thank you!

- Marissa

• raharris63

I see there was an answer marked correct.  No I don't believe it's correct. I did a reset and that seemed to fix it and not I'm faced with another problem. I cannot seem to talk to Google. It doesn't respond and then I have to restart my phone. I am not happy with this Nougat one bit, and I cannot understand why in the world wouldn't they have an uninstall update option. This is making me HATE my phone. While driving you go "OK Google" and get ignored like a bill collector...lol

the correct answer to the original question was Chris with the master reset. I did that and it worked. But as the days went by I started to incur more and more problems.. Also I have seen not additional update or patch

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for checking back in, raharris63! I'm glad to read that your calling issues were resolved with the reset -- for most users, that wasn't a permanent fix but the software update should resolve the issue, so when we didn't hear back after checking in, we marked that note correct to ensure anyone returning saw it and looked for the update. The Google Voice issue doesn't sound fun, though! Can you let me know what baseband version you've currently got on your Note 5? You can check by going to Apps > Settings > About device. Thank you!

- Marissa

• magenta2531878

Ok, Im Here to give you guys the reason you are having this issue, First off, I have the Galaxy Notr 5, I Love My device, and Have Had it already for Close to a year, i Purchased it BRAND NEW, Never dropped it, nor any water damage, always been in a UAG case with temperd glass since day one, now about 3months back i started noticing my out going calls were taking a LONG TIME before it started ringing on my end, i found this odd, then my wife tells me that every time she calls me it goes into voice mail, so she would have to hang up and call me right back for it to ring on my end, Hence, she would have to call me TWICE EVERY TIME>>!!! So I called T-Mobile, Long Story short the Rep said my Phone wasnt any good, LOL>>!!!! I knew this wasnt the case, so since my device is factory unlocked i put a AT&T SIM CARD into my device and it worked FLAWLESS. On top of that if i were to put MY TMOBILE SIM into my phone then go to Settings>Connections>Mobile Networks>then Network Mod and put the device on 3G/2G/ (auto connect) it would start dialing out the way itshould + my in coming calls will go through the way it SHOULD BE. However, my network would be on edge, which SUCKS, Plus im paying an Extra $30 per line for unlimited LTE service.. SM#H..!!!! so No its NOT an Issyes with OUR Note 5, its Tmobiles Service,, on top of that i went on vacation Augest 21, 2017 to South Carolina ( Im Located in Brooklyn NY) and took my Note 5, TRUST me when i tell you it started working FLWLESSLY once i Landed in Myrtle Beach.. !!!! So we need to Continue to stress the FACTS to TMobile that its THERE SERVICE, and they NEED to FIX it ASAP..!!! No, it has NOTHING to do with the 7.0 update, Factory RESET WILL NOT fix it, wippinh Cache will not fix it, TMobile Needs to fix this HUGE Problem. Im Tierd of Paying close to $200 a month anf my Phone DOES NOT WORK..!!!Agsin Please Keep stressing this Fact till they gett off there FAT A$$ES and fix this PROBLEM>>!!!!! To TMOBILE::: PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                            • magenta3349556

Was this issue resolved?

I moved from ATT and brought my beloved Note5 (Unlocked) along with several iPhones (wife and kids). All iPhones are working flawlessly, so far. However, my Note5 takes long to make calls, and cannot receive calls in most areas around my house (Acworth, GA). The phone works well in other areas a few miles from home . This makes me think the issue is a combination of T-mobile service and settings of my Note5 (since all the iPhones work fine around here).

I didn't see any further comments for this issue and I wonder if there is a fix for it in another discussion. If t-mobile is still monitoring, please let me know the latest on this.

Thank you. 

• amc2002

Yes, it was fixed within a week or two with an update.

If you're coming from AT&T, you might have a different Note5 that doesn't work well with all T-Mobile LTE bands. The Note5 model for T-Mo is the SM-N920T. You might have the SM-N920A.

The A has bands 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,17,20.

The T has bands 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,20.

Band 12 is the 700Mhz spectrum that T-Mobile aggressively rolled out in the last year or two to help with rural areas. If you are in an area with only band 12, you will have issues with the N920A. I'd put good money on you having the SM-N920A since you say it works fine in some areas, but not others.

You'll be fine in metro areas where T-Mobile has their high-frequency LTE saturated, but in solid buildings or outside the city where they've implemented that low-frequency band 12 to help with distance and building penetration, you won't have a phone that can connect.

If you end up looking for a new phone, keep in mind that T-Mobile was a big winner in the 600Mhz spectrum auction this year, and they are already rolling out that as well. I believe the LG V30 is the only phone right now that also receives that frequency, but there should be more compatible with 600Mhz soon so if you can hold out a little longer, you might want to. Then you'll have the latest tech and be set for years hopefully.

More information: Extended Range LTE | 600 MHz & 700 MHz Spectrum Phones | T-Mobile

1 of 1 people found this helpful