My Coverage is Not Working in Singapore

vmrich

I am in Singapore and no longer an able to send texts or access data.  I used to be able to text and access data.  What can I do?

Thank you!

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: My Coverage is Not Working in Singapore

Are you able to make calls? Can you connect to the local networks?

Important question: What phone are you using??  Singapore discontinued GSM 2G service a couple of years ago. Your phone will need to have at least 3G band 1 (2100 MHz) to work in Singapore. Some low-end T-Mobile phones don't have this band.

Also, I'm assuming you're on a current postpaid plan that supports international roaming?

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there friend, and thanks for coming to our support site.

We want to do everything we can to help you, so would you mind giving us a reply back to the questions above? Please let us know if you still need help or if this has been resolved. Thanks!

• tmo_amanda

Good morning, vmrich!

I'm just stopping by to see if you were able to connect to services to allow you to text and access data on the network.You also may not be in Singapore anymore.

Keep us posted!

• magenta2306964

The coverage map for Singapore on the T-Mobile coverage map would lead you to believe that my LG Leon LTE would work.

However, my experience the last couple of days in Singapore could be summed up as working 0.0001% of the time, effectively useless. Wifi texting did work in my hotel.

I could not see any network operator at 38th floor in the hotel in Suntec city, facing obvious cell-tower antennae, nor elsewhere, like the airport. Not one.

A call (with wifi turned off) to 611 resulted in a severely mangled voice.

Had my phone been unlocked I could possibly got a local SIM card, but I expected T-Mobile to work.

My colleagues Verizon phone worked flawlessly.

T-Mobile has to step up their game. Removing false and inaccurate coverage data until the service can be confirmed would be a first step.

Alerting customers entering the airport would be a second step. T-Mobile could even set up a local hot-spot, pico-cell, whatever in the airport.

I'm sure there are loads of people landing from US and elsewhere with T-Mobile accounts every day.

Honesty and transparency would improve T-Mobile. This bush league performance is just not acceptable.

• tidbits

magenta2306964 wrote:

The coverage map for Singapore on the T-Mobile coverage map would lead you to believe that my LG Leon LTE would work.

However, my experience the last couple of days in Singapore could be summed up as working 0.0001% of the time, effectively useless. Wifi texting did work in my hotel.

I could not see any network operator at 38th floor in the hotel in Suntec city, facing obvious cell-tower antennae, nor elsewhere, like the airport. Not one.

A call (with wifi turned off) to 611 resulted in a severely mangled voice.

Had my phone been unlocked I could possibly got a local SIM card, but I expected T-Mobile to work.

My colleagues Verizon phone worked flawlessly.

T-Mobile has to step up their game. Removing false and inaccurate coverage data until the service can be confirmed would be a first step.

Alerting customers entering the airport would be a second step. T-Mobile could even set up a local hot-spot, pico-cell, whatever in the airport.

I'm sure there are loads of people landing from US and elsewhere with T-Mobile accounts every day.

Honesty and transparency would improve T-Mobile. This bush league performance is just not acceptable.

coverage maps are by the provider of their respective country and not by T-Mobile.

• magenta2306964

"...coverage maps are by the provider of their respective country and not by T-Mobile..."

The map on the T-Mobile map leads to to think that the T-Mobile has coverage. The Magenta trademark color should be changed. Maybe there should be a big question mark floating over the whole thing? 

"..Maps approximate anticipated coverage outdoors, based on a variety of factors, and do not guarantee service availability. We are not responsible for the performance of our roaming partners’ networks..."

If you cannot get basic coverage even in an airport you have failed the giggle test. Of course T-Mobile cannot guarantee anything over other partners actions, or lack thereof, but obviously the spin doctors would have to kick into high gear to make anything good out of this. I'm not referring to limited coverage, but to none at all.

Not so with Verizon's coverage which worked out nicely..

• tidbits

They probably has better partners or the device in question he was using supported more bands than the one you are using.  There are more factors than just towers.

• magenta2306964

"...They probably has better partners ..."   Maybe.

"....or the device in question he was using supported more bands than the one you are using. ..." Very likely.

"...There are more factors than just towers. ..."   Sure.

The LG Leon has according to LG has "GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, LTE Bands 2/4/12, UMTS Bands 2,4,5"

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-H345-leon-lte

http://www.spectrummonitoring.com/frequencies/frequencies3.html#Singapore According to spectrum monitoring Singapore use LTE Bands 20, 8, 3, 1, 7, and TDD 40.

2G/GSM bands are no longer used in Singapore, which may have connected on my phone to a neighboring state. It worked, but extremely marginally.

Malaysia has 2G and 3G coverage, but likely very weak in central Singapore.

https://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html?icid=WMM_TM_Q217INTERN_KU7Y3ZEX0YQ8553

My guess is the sporadic contact at the 11th floor worked on Band 8 from Malaysia, either 2G or 3G, where the lowest frequency would have the advantage.

The LG Leon does not have the Singapore LTE bands, not one of them.  LTE Bands 20, 8, 3, 1, 7 are missing from this phone.

Searching T-Mobiles international coverage page fro my device yields:

"...Your device will work with networks in Singapore. ..."

Clearly this information is incorrect.

"... Speeds and device compatibility vary based on location and roaming partner’s network frequencies. Voice call destinations may be limited in some areas...."

"... Device is fully capable if it can receive 2G data speeds; high-speed data is at 3G speeds...."

The conditional statement is a bit questionable, as the site should be checking the devices capability, no?

• drnewcomb2

Interesting thing is that if you check Japan and S. Korea, neither of which have 2G, Japan clearly says the Leon won't work but S. Korea says it will. Clearly, someone missed the memo. Both Japan and S. Korea have been non-GSM 2G countries for years. Singapore only for the last several years. T-Mobile needs to correct their roaming info.