Regulatory Programs & Telco Recovery Fee (?)

pchevallier

What are those fees exactly, and why am I being charged for ?

Regulatory Programs & Telco Recovery Fee

The Regulatory Programs (RPF) & Telco Recovery Fee (TRF) is not a government tax, but a fee collected and retained to recover government compliance costs (RPF), plus charges imposed by other carriers for calls between our customers and theirs, and by 3rd parties for network facilities and services we purchase to provide service (TRF).

All replies

• drnewcomb2

This is one of the big rip-offs of the telecommunications industry. The FCC required that carriers implement number portability (the ability to keep your number when you change carriers) and not charge customers for porting their numbers. The carriers argued that there were costs involved, so the FCC said they could charge everyone a monthly fee for a service they may never use. I've had the same number for almost 20 years but am charged $32.52 per year in case I ever want to port the line out.

• tmo_chris

While the number portability is part of it, it is not the only thing. There are other services that the fee is collected for like E911 (service used for WiFi calling) and charges that other carriers charge us to deliver calls from our network to theirs.

Taxes and fees can change so those costs could go up or down but if you are interested in getting the same exact bill every month, I would highly suggest looking into our T-Mobile One Tax Inclusive plan where taxes and fees are included at a set price point per month.

• drnewcomb2

Whenever you see someone set up in a parking lot with a sign that says "Free Phones", you should think about the charges added to your phone bill that pay for people on welfare to get phone service for free. (n.b. I keep a PAYG phone active for ~$32/year. Anyone can afford basic phone service.) The company that gives away "free phones" gets a lot more than $32/year from the FCC for each phone. It's another huge rip-off of the wireless customer.