Would a Sprint Note 5 work on T-Mobile?

fastfoodallthetime

Once my Sprint contract ends, I plan on having Sprint unlock my Note 5 for domestic use. I believe it should fall under their "unlock commitment" program that was making the rounds in 2015-2016.

From a technical perspective, I am unsure what bands would work with T-Mobile, especially in relation to LTE, VoLTE, 3G.

I contacted Samsung Chat, and they said that the Note 5 can be used for T-Mobile, even if it's a Sprint device.

I contacted T-Mobile, and the representative first said "No, it won't work, as it's CDMA and T-Mobile is GSM." When I inquired further, since I know some iPhones and other devices have all the bands built into the phone, she put me on hold and then confirmed that the Note 5 would work. However, I am not too confident in this representative as she did not sound particularly confident when she said the phone was compatible. She also could not answer any of the technical questions.

I chatted with Sprint, and they said that the unlocking department could help, however, only after my contract ends (end of the year).

Do you guys know the skinny about whether the Sprint Note 5 would work on T-Mobile?

All replies

• tidbits

It will work.

However you will not be able to get all the features T-Mobile has to offer. Also some spectrum available you will not be able to connect to.

• tidbits

Make sure it's unlocked. This also goes for AT&T if you decide to go.

• magenta3146078

I'm currently experiencing problems. I'm coming from Sprint, with a Galaxy Note 5, and going to TMobile. Sprint swears up and down that the phone is unlocked, however whenever I go to put the TMobile SIM card in, it states "INVALID SIM". When I put the Sprint SIM card in, it recognizes sprint's sim, and displays sprint in the top left corner.

I've spent the past 5 days calling both carriers to try and figure out what the problem is, and both carriers are pointing me to the other side. I really do not know what to do anymore with this. Sprint swears that it is unlocked, and even provided me with the unlock code, which I should be able to enter once I put the sim card in, however whenever I put the TMobile SIM in, it states INVALID.

• tidbits

Re: Would a Sprint Note 5 work on T-Mobile?

magenta3146078 wrote:

I'm currently experiencing problems. I'm coming from Sprint, with a Galaxy Note 5, and going to TMobile. Sprint swears up and down that the phone is unlocked, however whenever I go to put the TMobile SIM card in, it states "INVALID SIM". When I put the Sprint SIM card in, it recognizes sprint's sim, and displays sprint in the top left corner.

I've spent the past 5 days calling both carriers to try and figure out what the problem is, and both carriers are pointing me to the other side. I really do not know what to do anymore with this. Sprint swears that it is unlocked, and even provided me with the unlock code, which I should be able to enter once I put the sim card in, however whenever I put the TMobile SIM in, it states INVALID.

Tell them to unlock it unlock and not just an international unlock. 

• magenta3146078

I asked that from them multiple times. They still swear up and down it's fully unlocked. They just emailed me stating that per their records my IMEI is unlocked for domestic and international use. If I what to do.

• tidbits

Then your device is faulty or the code is faulty

• rickdez

I doubt that. I'm going through th exact same issue right now. I've spoken with 8 different Sprint reps all claiming it's tmobile and vice versa.

• tidbits

rickdez wrote:

I doubt that. I'm going through th exact same issue right now. I've spoken with 8 different Sprint reps all claiming it's tmobile and vice versa.

Ok so other devices it works, but it doesn't work from Sprint.  Why would T-Mobile block you when they WANT your money, and Sprint just LOST your money.  Think for a bit about it.

• rickdez

Sorry, I got off the phone with Sprint about an hour ago and still feeling feisty. Im not blaming tmobile here. My frustration is I own a device with no way to use it. I know where the prior poster is coming from, it's frustrating.

• tidbits

All good. This is why I buy my devices outright and from the manufacturer. Saves me headaches.

• magenta3146078

Yeah I'm in the same exact boat right now. Sprint is refusing to re-unlock the phone. They also said to bring the phone to a corporate store to determine if it is faulty, yet they will not replace it or fix it for me if it is faulty since I am no longer a customer and do not have active insurance on the phone.

I spoke with Samsung Technical support (Since it is a Samsung phone, and it is a neutral party) and they said the phone still shows as being on the Sprint Network. I'm honestly ready to pull my hair out. I  couldn't even sell this phone, because it most likely will only work for the Sprint network, and I doubt anyone will pay enough for it, to cover me to be able to buy a T-mobile version. It's really unfortunate, because I really like this phone and it does just what I need.

Sprint is the absolute worst. If you have any updates to your issue @rickdez , please reply back and let me know since we're both experiencing the same problem. Good luck with yours!

• magenta3169060

I have an unlocked Sprint Note 5 and yes it works on T-Mobile but no LTE. I can only get H+ but no LTE.

• magenta3303159

I just did this.  I paid off my Sprint Note 5 (N920P03) and put my T-Mobile SIM in it.  I called T-Mo and got these instructions to get it working.  Only gets up to 3G, but on fast.com I get 12 Mbps down in my area, which is acceptable considering it wasn't designed for T-Mo's network.  It's good enough for YouTube, Netflix, etc.  Plus you can still use Wi-Fi.

System Settings -> Connections -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode (select GSM/UTMS).

Below Network Mode go to Access Point Names and "Add" (top right corner).  Enter these details:

Name: T-Mobile US LTE

APN: fast.t-mobile.com

Proxy: not set

Port: not set

Username: not set

Password: not set

Server: not set

MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

Multimedia message proxy: not set

Multimedia message port: not set

MCC:  310

MNC: 260

Authentication type: not set

APN type: default,supl,mms

APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

Bearer: Unspecified

Mobile virtal network operator type: none

Hope this helps.

• magenta3411160

if you go to mobile networks and change to lte/ cdma instead of automatic and restart phone, then go to your apn settings and click on bearer uncheck unspecified and check lte and hit save, then go back to network mode and switch back to automatic and restart the phone and will see lte above your signal bar and a much faster phone... hope this helps;)

• magenta3411160

yes, i currently have rooted sprint note 5 and am on t-moble. everything works fine. mms, vidieo chat, its all good. i spend hours trying to figure it out and got so frustrated i was ready to just destroy the damb thing...lol!  anyways long story short, i finally found this guy online who said he could do it for 15 bucks, i was sceptical at first but decided it was only 15 bucks so what the hell and tried it. the guy was great, it took less than ten minutes and it was done and i didnt have to go anywhere he did it all remotely.all i had to do was add t-mobles apn settings and it was good to go. ive had all my sprint phones done by him since, and my note 5 somehow lost root and the relocked during a recent ota and there was no questions asked, he just fixed it free of charge... i love trying to figure all this stuff out bymyself but sometimes you just need the damb thing to work and dont have time to mess around so its worth a shot, it worked for me. his name is steven and the website was called online unlocks. they do all kinds of phones but i know for sure it works on the note 5..... totally worth it

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      • ggabejr73

Thank you for your post! I looked this company up and was able to get in contact with Steve. Very nice guy. But, I did not have the same experience with my phone. He actually gave me a refund because he was not able to fully unlock the phone. I don't know--I have spent too much time trying to get a straight answer as to the unlocking of my phone. Before I decided to go with T-Mobile, I asked Sprint if my Note 5 would have any issues on the T-Mobile network, after the phone was unlocked. Several reps including a supervisor, told me that there would be no problem. So, I went ahead and ported my number to T-Mobile. What a nightmare!!! I finally called Samsung. One rep from Samsung said, with so much confidence, "the Note 5 can be used with any carrier when it's unlocked properly". So, I called Sprint back after talking to literally about 25 to 30 different reps in the last 10 days. They all had pretty much reassured me that it could be used on T-Mobile network until one of the reps, yesterday, told me that it might not have full functionality. Then finally today, a rep with certainty, after 10 days, mind you, of hearing the same message, "it can work on the T-Mobile network with not problems", told me that it was not possible to use my Sprint Note 5 on the T-Mobile network. While I was on the phone she called Samsung and a technical support rep with five years of experience and then her supervisor told me that it was up to Sprint's contract, as to how or if the phone was unlocked. Obviously, there are technicalities we are not completely privy to. Out of one end of her mouth she said that Samsung manufactured the Note 5--unlocked, and depending on the "contract" with each service provider would depend if the phones get unlocked or not. So in the end Sprint says, after unlocking it it may not work right on any other network other than Sprint and Verizon. I think I have an idea, but why is this so mysterious??? Anyway, sharing my story again, has been therapeutic--cheaper than seeing a shrink--lolols

Good news is that Square Trade will actually swap my Sprint Note 5 and tomorrow I will be receiving a T-Mobile Note 5. Go Square Trade for going above and beyond! Hopefully the night mare is over and tomorrow i can begin using my Note 5 again on a great network--T-Mobile!