jim9006

Looking to replace Unlimited Verzion service and have a few questions.

Since I expect to go over my 10gb limit. Signal = good to excellent. Non congested rural area.

#1 What is the expected mbps for "de-prioritized 4g or reduced (3g)" speeds?

#2 Can I just replace Verzion SIM with T-Mobile SIM or would a new device (USB modem) be required?

#3 Does T-Mobile offer a trial (money back) period and if so how long?

Thank you,

Jim

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: 4G USB stick (USB modem)

1 3g speed

2 need new device and supported bands are probably different,  check your specific device

3 no

• jim9006

Thanks, I assumed a new device would be required as TM and VZ use different radios but hoped with carriers outsourcing towers these days, issues like this would no longer be required since the back end is mostly hardwired. I have also noticed some vendors 3g speeds are faster than others (example my 3g VZ stick does .75 to just under 2mb and I see TM claims 200k to 700k for their 3g). That’s why I’d like to know what the mbps really is on TM as I would be in the 4GLTE covered zone.

• tmo_chris

This is a great question! We want to ensure you have all the information you need before making the switch.  If your total high-speed data usage exceeds your selected high-speed allotment during a billing cycle, we may reduce your data speed to 2G speeds for the remainder of that billing cycle.

The typical 2G speeds are as follows:

Download speeds: Typically between 40-200 kbps

Upload speeds: Typically between 20-80 kbps

Latency: Typically between 400 – 900 ms